Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit a local play area outside Denver last weekend. The truck took a little damage, but it's fixable. Found out my rear upper shock mounts need to be a little higher. This thing climbs like a fiend now that I've taken so much weight off. The leaf springs definitely need to go, though. They have too much lost motion and spring wrap in them. Time to save up for a 3-link on both ends :toothless

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
[/QUOTE]

now that is just awesome!! :rockon

sweet rig and pics larston :thumbup

·
Registered
490 Posts
pretty intense truck, looks nuts

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BrokeCuzWheelin said:
I think you need to just cut to the chase and build a tube buggy. Everytime I see your truck is contains less sheet metal:toothless
It's hard to make that drastic of a decision, but the thought has crossed my mind :toothless

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
nah keep what little sheetmetal you have left. not much aof a fan of the tube buggys...love to see what a vehicle started life as and has evolved to

awsome pictures btw

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dustin said:
nah keep what little sheetmetal you have left. not much aof a fan of the tube buggys...love to see what a vehicle started life as and has evolved to

awsome pictures btw
I'm thinking that when I tube the front, I may hang some front fender outer skins on it to make it look like a real vehicle again.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Larston said:
The leaf springs definitely need to go, though. They have too much lost motion and spring wrap in them. Time to save up for a 3-link on both ends ]

interesting you should say that. I ASSume you are talking mostly in relation to the front since you can torque arm the rear.

One of the things I noticed watching Andy and Dogonmut wheel in Az a few weeks ago is how much spring "slap" they get. lots of pinion change, lots of wheel hop, and when trying to climb up step type stuff, the front end unloads really badly. Much more so that I have ever seen coils do.

Dont get me wrong, their rigs flex really well, and work well, but in comparing the "flexiest" suspensions in the coil vs. leaf debate, I noticed this was a big difference between their super flex fronts and chevybutt and my coil fronts.

Does that sound to be about what you are talking about Larry?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
plug ugly said:
interesting you should say that. I ASSume you are talking mostly in relation to the front since you can torque arm the rear.

One of the things I noticed watching Andy and Dogonmut wheel in Az a few weeks ago is how much spring "slap" they get. lots of pinion change, lots of wheel hop, and when trying to climb up step type stuff, the front end unloads really badly. Much more so that I have ever seen coils do.

Dont get me wrong, their rigs flex really well, and work well, but in comparing the "flexiest" suspensions in the coil vs. leaf debate, I noticed this was a big difference between their super flex fronts and chevybutt and my coil fronts.

Does that sound to be about what you are talking about Larry?
More (controlled) flex is always nice, but my concerns are not breaking parts and making sure power goes toward moving the vehicle instead of just winding up the suspension. There are fixes for leaf spring suspensions, but nothing works like a good link suspension. Yes, it's more complex, but once it's tuned in, it's predictable, responsive, and less prone to breakage (assuming good build quality). And I won't shit you, I don't need much of an excuse to take on a custom suspension :toothless

1 - 20 of 26 Posts