Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden my baby is running rough. I was driving home lastnight when I noticed it smoking under the hood. It smelled like oil. Then it started running rough. I was only a mile from home so I got home and popped the hood to find my oil cap gone and oil splattered all over the hood and engine. Today it is still running rough. Almost like it's on 7 cylinders. I am going to the parts store to get another cap and I figured I would get a PCV valve while I am there because i thought perhaps it was in need of replacing. My question to you is what might my problem be? It seemed to be an awful lot of oil for just a mile run. Any help would be appreciated.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Hmm, Chris... I dunno, it almost does sound like excessive crankcase pressure, but I wouldn't think that could blow your filler cap off.

Check for vac leaks, too

Verify oil level (obviously)

Then pull codes. Did the oil get on anything important, like maybe it messed up an electrical connection? EGR? TPS?

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Keith, at this point it does not look good. I replaced the pcv, no difference. I am watching the Pats game so I have not lookded at it since then. But I am fearing that I blew a piston. I have not yet pulled the plugs but it is pointing towards a blown engine. I am not happy.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's blown. The first plug I pulled was covered with oil and carbon buildup. Not a good sign. I did a pressure test and I got no pressure on the cylinder. So unfrotunatly I need to shell out some $$ and get a new engine. You guys need to help me decide what I should do. I was thinking of a 460 but then thought perhaps a built up 351. What do you all think I should do?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Broncobob said:
Do a 460 so you can design another york bracket. :thumbup
You mean like the one we built for Nathans' EFI 460

Chris, I dunno...........I'd go 460 personally........but you're gonna need to do some research on how to make the Ford EFI support some real hp, or look to other EFI. I'm still leaning toward Howell personally.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to Ryan aka Fireguy50 I can not do the 460 because it will not mate up with my E4OD. I would have to get an E4OD from a 250 or 350 and swap that in as well. I found a couple companies that have built 351W running at 350 horses. Sounds good to me. They run about $4000 though so I am not sure I can pony up that kind of cash.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
BoulderBronco said:
I would have to get an E4OD from a 250 or 350 and swap that in as well. I found a couple companies that have built 351W running at 350 horses. Sounds good to me. They run about $4000 though so I am not sure I can pony up that kind of cash.
Well, I don't foresee myself having more than $4k into my new drivetrain which will be a 460, aftermarket EFI, C6 and 203/205 doubler. There's little need for OD if you have a motor which can supply good low-end torque.... gear it at 4.56 with 40's... highway rpm is perfectly reasonable but it still has the grunt to move off the line.

Advantages include: torque curve of a bigblock, C6 (arguably the best Ford auto ever) and the flexibility of the doubler, plus its' stronger than the 1356.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Keith_L said:
Well, I don't foresee myself having more than $4k into my new drivetrain which will be a 460, aftermarket EFI, C6 and 203/205 doubler. There's little need for OD if you have a motor which can supply good low-end torque.... gear it at 4.56 with 40's... highway rpm is perfectly reasonable but it still has the grunt to move off the line.

Advantages include: torque curve of a bigblock, C6 (arguably the best Ford auto ever) and the flexibility of the doubler, plus its' stronger than the 1356.
How far have you gotten into this 460 swap? I'm thinking along the same line when I initially was considering adding a blower to my 302, or even a blower to a stroked 302. I've seen other threads where people indicate the wiring harnesses for EFI are all the same, but I'd sure like to know from someone who has really done it before I slide an EFI 460 into my 85 or 89 that currently has an EFI 302.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts