Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've scoured the forums but I'm stuck chasing a ghost and hope you can help. 96 XLT keeps blowing fuses when I turn on the left turn signal or the flashers. Blowing both the #7 & #13 fuses. So far I've done all of the following and still can't seem to find the problem.

Replaced the turn signal switch
Checked connections at all the bulbs
Traced wires from back to front and can't find any bare/crimped wires
Checked connections at all 3 brake lights, disconnected 3rd brake light for testing- still tripping fuse
Swapped flashers in the fuse panel with known working units
Trailer 7pin connection was damaged in a rock crawling incident, I pull it all apart, fixed and rewired everything to make sure it's not grounding out

The problem seems to have started after I replaced the tail light lenses with new ones, but I can't find any evidence of what changed.

If it's a bad ground, can someone tell me where all the ground locations are so I can check? I have a multimeter, what can I test?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
27,708 Posts
Yo T,
Fuse 13 Blown, Stop & Hazard Lamps, Stop Sensor for Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS) Speed Control & PCM Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 for 94-95 (and 96) Bronco & F Series; wire harness may be pinched/shorted on steering column support behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall, I had same short here too & caused E4OD's TCIL (OD switch-LED) to blink like a friggin pia; wires pinched @ brake/tail lights, my 96's stop/turn/tail lights wires were almost cut in half on passenger side against 1/4 panel (inner); wires pinched @ high mount brake light & @ driver's left hand seat belt anchor bolt @ base of B Pillar. See the location diagram @ http://content.chiltonsonline.com/T...8NylACcNZ4qedMqy4JdYyAXN5akgfkpHUz4aCpJyaaA==

Fuse 7;

Byn Ford via Roadkill

E4 CHECK REAR WINDOW DEFROST SUPPLY FOR SHORT
  • Using ohmmeter connected to known good ground, connect other lead to Circuit 8 (O/Y). Read resistance.
Is resistance 5 ohms or less?
YesNo
SERVICE short to ground Circuit 8 (O/Y). REPLACE Fuse 7 (15A). RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.REINSTALL Fuse 7 (15A). GO to E5.

Heated Back Window Switch Connector, Bronco

Pin Number​
Circuit​
Circuit Function​
1​
186 (BR/LB)​
Heated Back Window Switch to Heated Back Window Grid​
2​
185 (BK)​
Battery Feed to Heated Back Window Switch and Grid​
➡3​
8 (O/Y)​
Heated Back Window Timing Circuit Feed​
4​
57 (BK)​
Ground Circuit​
5​
19 (LB/R)​
Instrument Panel Lamps Feed​
□■□
PINPOINT TEST J: ALL TURN SIGNAL LAMPS/HAZARD FLASHER LAMPS INOPERATIVE
J1 CHECK FUSES
  • Check turn/hazard flasher fuse 7 and fuse 13 for continuity.
Are fuses good?
YesNo
GO to J2.REPLACE bad fuse(s). RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

BBL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Miesk, I'll run through all those points again (I found the crimped wire post on another thread but without the diagram) but I have not tested the rear window connection yet. I did unplug it where the top meets the bedside to try and rule out issues with the third brake light. I'll test and report back asap.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Super Moderator
27,708 Posts
Yo T,
YW!
I have to roll now, will be back tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts