Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Was just showing mixing and matching of junkyard leaves.................but glad to see you have a healthy imagination

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Swat, thats a clean looking rig. Keith, you cut the military wrap on your leaf pack? was it for extension? i thought the whole reason was to get you home if the other leaf broke?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
It is relativley simple, all you need is a cut off wheel on your grinder, a good high carbon drill bit, and plenty of cutting oil. I did not drill the centering hole. I cut off both ends of the leaves to make them the length I needed, then drill the ends for the teflon pad that allow the leaves to slide against each other.

I had custom leaves made from 1/4" material and then left the area I had them made. I found them to be a little soft so I added some F150 leaves as they are only 5/16th inch thick and flex well. I got them cheap at a wrecking yard and found a couple of packs already open. I chose to drill and use the teflon pads but I suppose you could always just grease them. I added three leaves under the packs each a little longer than the next. I cut the ends off so I could use the centering hole without drilling. It is very difficult to drill the hardened spring steel. Once you heat up a bit it is ruined and th ematerials gets harder to drill. You got to go slow, less pressure, correct speed and use lots of cutting oil to keep it cool. It is best to taper the leaf at the end which makes the spring rate more progressive.

For lift you will get the thickness of the spring plus whatever spring rate it adds. Short leaves, under the pack, will do less in giving spring rate and can be used to fine tune. Longer leaves cut to fit under the main leaf will add more spring rate.

You obviously have to take your packs apart. You can grind the head of a grade 8 bolt round to replace the center pin which will be too short when you add leaves. You may also want to amke new wraps that hold the springs together on each end. I left bolt at the top of mine spring wraps out of mine so they can separate some and give better down travel, no problems yet letting them free.

I can post a pic of one of the leaves I cut down this weekend. I have since removed one as I have taken much weight off the back of my rig.Here's the best pic I have of my rear leaves for now:

·
Registered
562 Posts
What's the drawback of using the F150 packs without mods? School time.

Blown, no offense, but please tell me that's not the blue and white Bronco you had...I loved that one!

·
Registered
25 Posts
What's the drawback of using the F150 packs without mods? School time.

Blown, no offense, but please tell me that's not the blue and white Bronco you had...I loved that one!
you mean withoug drilling them? they would just make noise

did you try it with just the stock 4 leafs without any other leafs?

iam running stock f250 packs with no overloads just 3 leafs and main leaf and they flex ok, they go about flat.
i got a new pair of rear powerstroke leafs and took off all of the overload leafs just leaving the 3 leafs and one main leaf, but the difference is the new ones are tappered. what does the tapper on the leafs do??

·
Registered
562 Posts
you mean withoug drilling them?
No, I mean removing the Bronco pack and installing the F150 pack.

what does the tapper on the leafs do??
The taper makes the spring rate more progressive. Each leaf will flex easier where it is thinnest, and gradually get firmer toward the thicker area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts