Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing this as a note to anyone who is new to the mechanical "joy" we all love and call the bronco.

There are a few things to know before you start wrenching on that wonderful piece of 4x4 equipment refusing to start, run right, give fits, sneezing, coughing, achy spring feeling these aging vehicles are all blessing us with.

#1. VERY IMPORTANT!!! Buy a manual and at least browse through it, get famaliar with the fuel, spark, electrical systems on your year of rig.

#2 Adhere to some sort of general maintenance schedule. ie: plugs, cap/rotor, wires, oil changes, air filter, fuel filter, tranny filter(if automatic), greasing(u-joints, steering components, wheel bearings), gear lube. You know the basics. Your Bronco will love you for it. Even if you only go over the major things the same time once a year(not suggested on oil changes-at least every 3-5K please)

#3 In a no start situation remember an engine needs 4 major things to run air, spark, fuel, compression. If it doesn't even turn over that's a different problem, Batt./batt. cables/starter. So remember to start narrowing down the obvious. Shoot some starting fluid down it's throat, does it fire? If yes, then you have spark/no fuel. If not then, start looking to see if there's fire. Pull a plug and have a friend turn it over. With the plug grounded does a pretty little spark happen on the end? If so then it's time to read your manual(yes that dusty one right next to the XP for dummies book)

#4 If you completely have no clue. Don't have the $ for the shop, or are just so damn stubborn (This is my rig and I'm gonna fix it!!) and look to here for answers first off search. Ten to one your problem isn't new. Second, if you need to ask. First inform us of year, engine, tranny, modifications, also please mention anything recently done that may have an effect on what has happened. Please try to include as much info that is pertinent to the problem as possible. Remember we can't "see" your vehicle so we are relying on your description of the problem to give you the best info possible.

#5 On the flip side of the step above. Remember, that in mechanics as in anything there is no stupid questions. We all have overlooked the obvious.

#6 Another very important step KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid. Do not over complicate the problem. I've been known to do this myself causing me to do my favorite. Overlooking the obvious.

One final thing, I didn't write this to piss anybody off. I know how frustrating dealing with things you've never dealt with before. Well now I think I've let off some steam so.....Let the: "everybody thinks this thread is dumb" session begin:popc1:

Oh and one last thing I know I left alot out here so PLEASE. if you have something to add then go for it. I think that if nothing else this could start a good thread for newbies to at least come and get a laugh at. :thumbup

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
THIS THREAD IS ****IN RETARDED!!! i got jokes and jokes and jokes and jokes. really, good job. smart thing to do, we need to keep this thread twords the top so the grasshoppers will see it and hopefully read it and not just give it the blank stare and totaly disreagrd it. thanks dude.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
good advice, but if this could be moved from Tech writeup, which is specific to some certain task, to the general tech area it would be better placed.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Aw fawk! I've gotta tear my shit down again and adhere to them rules. :histerica

JK. Not a bad bit of advice but I'll still accept PM's even if people think they're retarded. I consider it my pennance for asking so many dumb shit questions myself when I was building my junk. Aw hell. I still post dumb shit. :toothless

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
you should add a note in there saying simply to change from dummy guages to mech guages cause im tired of the my oil pressure drops ones

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
hey skumandeth quit kissing Steve's ass :goodfinge

j/k

good idea with the thread.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
I think this should/could be a sticky in General Repair.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Before posting anything at all. Include your vehicle specifications in your signature. That way it's always there.

·
Southeast Utah Native
920 Posts
Better yet, fill out your profile COMPLETELY. Then the info will always be right under your screen name on any post you make. The sig only shows on the first post you make in a thread, and for those (like me) who've had all they can take of the out of control Avatars & Signatures & have turned them off the info is there anyway.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just like to kick this one back to the top. Oh I almost forgot. Nope nevermind I did forget.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts