Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,037 Posts
It's hard to see in that pic, but yeah, it was just snapped in place on the radiator support. Wish I had a better picture, it wasn't my Bronco. Here's a larger version of that pic. Open it in a separate window and you can click on it to zoom in if you need.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
574 Posts
good to know guys!

I thought these clamps at the radiotor suppor top are for holding the horn cables.
now I know the jack handle should be stored there, anyhow I am missing that handle :)

·
Registered
78 Custom - 460 - NP435 - NP205 - Sniper EFI - HyperSpark Ignition - 4.56 Gears - Front/Rear Lockers
2,037 Posts
good to know guys!

I thought these clamps at the radiotor suppor top are for holding the horn cables.
now I know the jack handle should be stored there, anyhow I am missing that handle :)
I think most people are missing it on their 78/79 Broncos. I was surprised when I saw it sitting there when I was looking at that Bronco. That and the oil bath air cleaner.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Can confirm, I got my 78 with the jack handle snapped into clips on the rad support also. Currently the handle is on a shelf, as I'm using a bottle jack. But the bottle jack is leaky, so I may switch back the factory one again soon

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
250 Posts
On my '79 there are supposed to be 2 horizontal clips and one vertical clip to hold the handle. Ignore my actual jack handle since it's from an 80's model and probably different. You can see all three clips in these two pictures.

Can anyone (@d_rock ) provide a picture of the actual '78-'79 jack handle? I'd like to see how different it is from the '80s one.

While we are getting info about esoteric tire changing details, does anyone have a picture of what the lug wrench from a '78-'79 should look like? I was at the junkyard today and found this thing in a dentside pickup, but I can't wrap my head around how it would clip into the brackets on my inner fender. I also found a bullnose lug wrench but it appears to be too long and also not fit.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
@cwegga my 78's jack handle looks about the same as yours. Its currently at my parents' place, so it will be a couple weeks before I can get a picture.
I do have a couple of the tire irons handy though... they're under my desk at work so I can share a pic tomorrow. Its basically a solid steel bar with a flat end for prying, and the other end does a 60 degree or so bend and then flares out into a hex socket. The bar snaps right into the clips you pictured behind the jack. The length and the angle make them somewhat awkward to use, so I've been carrying a surprisingly heavy duty 2-peice Toyota lug wrench instead.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Agreed. The bent one is actually easier to use though, as it has clearance to spin 360 degrees with my 32 inch tires. The unbent one won't clear the ground, but is easier to break the nuts loose, or get them tight.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
250 Posts
I went by the JY today and picked this wrench up from a bullnose. I haven't decided if it's supposed to store short end forward like I have it or short end backwards towards the rear of the truck. I think I've seen some that were bent closer to 90 degrees that might fit under the jack/hold down better too. Anyway, here's a picture of things fitting together.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Well, here I am again at this thread one more time. lol. Gonna beat this thing to death.

I went to the JY this morning to kill an hour as I needed to go to the bank and they weren't open until 9am on a Saturday. I came across a new-to-the-yard 79 F250 Supercab and guess what was under the hood. That's right, the jack handle. I didn't take pics as I didn't have my phone on me. I'll have to take some pics of it a little later as I brought it home with me.

The handle has three clips that it snaps into. Two clips on the top of the radiator support and one that's on the side of it near the driver side headlight. There was no lug wrench on the truck, so I was unable to confirm what the OEM wrench looks like.

When I got home I checked out all three of my trucks (I'm kind of a fan) and looked at the radiator supports to see if they all come from the factory with the holes for the clips to hold the handle. My 77 F150 Ranger XLT did not have the holes for it nor did it have the clips on the inner fender for the lug wrench. My 77 F100 Custom also did not have the holes for the clips and it also does not have the clips on the inner fender for the lug wrench. My 78 Bronco Custom does have the holes for the jack handle, but for whatever reason it only has two. It has one on the top of the support on the passenger side and then it has the one that's on the side of the support near the driver side headlight. My Bronco also has the clips on the inner fender for the lug wrench.

Based on those findings from my own vehicles, I'm assuming that if your truck/Bronco has the clips for the lug wrench that it'll have the holes for the wrench handle or just already have the clips screwed into the radiator support.

NOW!... for some more good stuff based off my memory that I'll have to go confirm in a couple minutes by running back outside for a look see. All of these trucks have the bottle jack, so they'd all need a jack handle regardless of where it mounts. From what I remember seeing in the JY on various trucks is that they have clips like the lug wrench clips found on the inner fender, but they are mounted on the floor of the cab and are either under the seat or on the floor right behind the seat. That has to be where the handle/lug wrench are stored for trucks with no clips under the hood. I gotta go verify this for my own sake as a Ford nut. I don't know if all Broncos have the stuff for the jack under the hood, but I'm under the assumption that my Bronco, at the very least, does not have clips under the front seat as it has bucket seats and not a bench. Just guesses of course.

I'll also get pics of all of this stuff eventually. Maybe this will be the comprehensive jack handle thread that the world needs...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Ran outside to my F150 and forgot the inside of the cab on that one is still under construction, so it's a mess inside and I didn't bother to check things out.

However! I checked my F100 and not only are the clips on the floor, but it also has the jack handle! lmao. I've had that truck for like 6-7 years and never knew. Shows how far I've dug into it and how original the thing was when I got it. The clips are right there at the lip in the floor right at the back of the seat. The s-shaped portion of the jack handle actually hangs right under the handle you use to slide the bench back and forth. I really don't know how I missed that all these years except for maybe my seat cover kinda hangs down right there.

So, if anyone wants a handle and can't find one under the hood of a 78/79 Bronco or any other year dentside truck, try looking under a bench seat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts