Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here. I'd have put this in the Introduction subforum, but I have enough of a specific question that I figured it should go here.

I'm looking at getting an 82-86 Bronco sometime this summer so I can fix it up as a winter/snow vehicle. It's my favorite yeargroup for F-series, and I think most of that would transfer over to a Bronco.

Something I can't find a solid answer on though, is what are the actual differences (if any) between the GVWR 'classes' in the VIN's? There seems to be one for under 6,000lbs and one for over that (but I guess not by a whole bunch?).

I guess what I'm looking to find out is what makes one a "D" code, and another one a "E" code. If the only actual difference is something easily upgraded, I can stop looking too hard at VIN's. If the frame is thicker or something else major, I'll still need to pay attention.

Since I'm not exactly in a hurry here I can exclude plow trucks, wrecks, too much rust, poorly thought out lifts, and ads with the word "Invested" in them, but I'd like to know for sure if I want to also exclude the 'lighter' ones as well.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts