Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was up to no good today and I felt like taking a drive..........can't think of any better place to go than the Summit warehouse in Reno NV. Only problem was it was snowing and my tires were getting pretty bald so I had a new set put on today. I was going to have to do it sometime this month anyways. Some of you may remember me saying "I will never own another set of BFG's........."
Well...I hope I don't regret buying this set too.

So I got my tires and headed over the mountain to Reno, went to Summit and picked up a new 4" exhaust system for the SD. Tires handled the snow great, which I knew BFG A/T's were good at, and they ride and drive great, but hopefully this set won't cup all to shit at 10,000 miles. Or have a sidewall completly seperate from the tread at 500 miles.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
redwagon said:
Reno NV...I thought yuo said summit WHORE house....

he hit that on the way back in carson shitty.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
on a side note, whats your SD and how much did the exhaust run? new down pipe?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jopes said:
on a side note, whats your SD and how much did the exhaust run? new down pipe?
2004 F350 6.0 PSD
Exhaust was $509 for the aluminized pipe. I was going to get the stainless at $880, but I think I would rather have everything welded together instead of clamped so I bought the steel.

And its complete from the turbo to the tip

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
now get an intake kit and a tuner.

fyi whats the build date on your truck? early or late 04?

2003-2004 model year F-250/350/450/550 and Excursion vehicles built from Job #1 2003 through September 28, 2003 there is a new recall 06E17 thats a reprogram. Basically without sitting here going into great detail its reprograming the pcm to be more sensitive to everything and now it dosent see the EB sensor as an input. This intern makes the other sensors more critical inputs. We have been having lots of problems on this calibration espessially with guys that have aftermarket mods. I have even had them take out the turbo in some cases. So if you happen to be under this recall I suggest not taking it in for the time being unless you have issue on how it runs.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dustin said:
nope.....ain't gonna do it. Exhaust is as far as I'm going. If I go with anything else I'm not going to be able to stop and soon I will have quad turbos and a truck I can't even drive anymore.

I really do want to build up another diesel though. I did have a bad ass 93 Dodge that I sold with a twin turboed Cummins and I would like to do something like that again. Maybe if I ever find a good deal on a pre-99 12 valve Dodge I'll do it again. Either that or I might find an old 2 wheel drive F-Superduty with the diesel (for smog exemption registration) and drop a big Cummins or an 8-92 Detroit in it. I have always to do that to a pick-up. Theres just something about passing a Peterbuilt on the highway and knowing you got the same engine under the hood that he does.

Dustin said:
fyi whats the build date on your truck? early or late 04?

2003-2004 model year F-250/350/450/550 and Excursion vehicles built from Job #1 2003 through September 28, 2003 there is a new recall 06E17 thats a reprogram. Basically without sitting here going into great detail its reprograming the pcm to be more sensitive to everything and now it dosent see the EB sensor as an input. This intern makes the other sensors more critical inputs. We have been having lots of problems on this calibration espessially with guys that have aftermarket mods. I have even had them take out the turbo in some cases. So if you happen to be under this recall I suggest not taking it in for the time being unless you have issue on how it runs.
I want to say it was feb 2004, but I'll check it for sure. Thanks for the info.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
So how many miles did you get out of the mall terrains?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dustin said:
I know I said I wouldn't.........

And BTW, just had the EGR replaced again 2 weeks ago. The service writer said it was revised again?

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
no they havent updated the EGR recently. we have been having problems with coking tho building up in the intake and pluging up the sensors like EBP,EGR, IATs. make sure you run a good quality fuel and dont let it idle for long periods. like hours on end. Im sure I told you about fords fuel additive? if not buy a bottle and run it, good shit. comes in a gold bottle, says powerstroke on it.

you will love the power youll get from that tuner, so much for new tires....haha

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a feeling the guy was BS'n me about it being re-designed. I asked him if this one would go out too and that was his reply. Kind of put him on the spot there. They didn't tell me about the addative, but I'm going to pick up some next time I go by the dealer if it will help anything.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
they probably just tossed one in for a code or whatever, there are so many things that can cause a egr code besides the egr. more than likely it was probably one of the input sensors that has an issue.

yeah it boosts the cetane rating which is the main thing in diesel fuel that determines quality. adds lubricity for the injectors to clean and prolong life, evens increases fuel mileage. I think its like 5bucks a bottle but is good for a few tanks. just have to add a little with every fillup.

Im sure you already know but with your tuner dont let them reprogram the truck with it in. since the programs are vin locked if the dealer reprograms it it makes your tuner useless. with the generic tunes its not bad for you to go back to stock and take it in for a updated calibration or recall, then go back to your aftermarket tune. however with the custom tunes you get with something like the excaliber like I have everything int he tune is written around the calibration tear tag thats in the pcm at that time. so if I go reprogram it it changes the calibration and part number for the pcm and Im screwed with trying to run my tuner. you shouldnt have to worry about that however

1 - 16 of 16 Posts