Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few months the theft of catalytic converters has gotten way out of control. The vehicles most affected by this are Toyota trucks and suvs. If your cat is bolted on instead of being welded, your at a higher risk of being a victim. I own a wrecking yard here in Gardena California and the authorities are making it hard for us to sell them because of all the stolen ones on the market. If your car has enough space for the thieves to get it off with out making too much noise they will steal it. I get a few calls each week of people looking for a replacement since theirs was stolen. To protect yourself if your cat is simply bolted on go to your local muffler shop and have them tack a weld on each bolt so they wont come off. That way if you ever have to remove them in the future you can grind the weld.

A cat can go for at least $100 each on imports so be careful where you park your truck cuz thieves are on the look out. I dont know if any one else posted something about this but I figured I would warn my fellow Bronco lovers.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
If they take mine, that means I can go out and get the high-flow cats that Ive been too cheap to buy....

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
this is actually old news. there was a post about this last year. still, if anyone missed that, or for newer members, it doesn't hurt to remind people.

that being said, if someone wants to steal your cat. converter, there isn't too much you are going to do about it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
A tack weld wont do shit. We've had 2-3 customers come into the shop I work at with cats missing. An electric sawzall will cut cheap galvanized piping in seconds. They can be in and out of stealing a cat within a minute. I dont think any theifs would go through all the hassle of carrying wrenches on them.

-Tyler

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A tack weld wont do shit. We've had 2-3 customers come into the shop I work at with cats missing. An electric sawzall will cut cheap galvanized piping in seconds. They can be in and out of stealing a cat within a minute. I dont think any theifs would go through all the hassle of carrying wrenches on them.

-Tyler
Yeah but who doesnt notice the guy holding a sawzall walking around a parking lot? Most people I've talked to had it done at the market or in their apartment parking lot.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
Or just sell yours like they are :shrug
Meh, then I have to take them off. Not worth the hassle. Might as well let someone take them off for free.

My buddies mom's Cavalier was stolen just for the cat. The guy showed up in an unmarked tow truck and took it in the middle of the night (I guess they saw it on a stores survailance camera).

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
if they take mine, they will have a little surprise, its gutted

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
i second that,

i dont worry about the cats off my trucks being stolen, as they are not there ;) plus its a ford

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,491 Posts
Cats? the only cat I've ever had in my truck was very pissed off and wrapped up in a blanket on the way to the vet. Shorty headers to glasspacks is all I run - but I don't have anyone sniffing my truck's farts...

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
Yeah but who doesnt notice the guy holding a sawzall walking around a parking lot? Most people I've talked to had it done at the market or in their apartment parking lot.
they notice it, but being america people don't GAFF until it affects them
just like how a cop was beaten and then shot at a wal-mart here while most people just stood around watching, one homeless guy tried to help out the cop but that was it, the rest of the people that saw it had the "it's not my problem" attitude

·
Registered
328 Posts
my brother had his stolen off of his '94 4runner. from right out in front of our damn house in a very safe neighborhood. its annoying as hell, just more time and money

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
my brother had his stolen off of his '94 4runner. from right out in front of our damn house in a very safe neighborhood. its annoying as hell, just more time and money
Bet you it scared the piss out of him when he cranked that whore up :rofl:

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts

-Tyler
i've never seen gavanized exhaust pipe on a vehicle, aluminized pipe on the other hand... plus all the newer vehicles have some sort of stainless steel pipe on them that does not cut with a sawzall very easy..

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
yeah, when we get newer cars here at the yard they come right off without a problem.
New cars are pretty low to the ground - can't see anyone laying under it to remove a cat. And the trucks I've worked on where welded from the factory so what are we talking about here? Besides this is a Bronco site were the last bronco built was 12 years ago and the cats were welded on. Must be some import suv, lets narrow this down a bit.

And how much does one get for a used cat?

·
Banned
495 Posts
Over the last few months the theft of catalytic converters has gotten way out of control. The vehicles most affected by this are Toyota trucks and suvs. If your cat is bolted on instead of being welded, your at a higher risk of being a victim. I own a wrecking yard here in Gardena California and the authorities are making it hard for us to sell them because of all the stolen ones on the market. If your car has enough space for the thieves to get it off with out making too much noise they will steal it. I get a few calls each week of people looking for a replacement since theirs was stolen. To protect yourself if your cat is simply bolted on go to your local muffler shop and have them tack a weld on each bolt so they wont come off. That way if you ever have to remove them in the future you can grind the weld.

A cat can go for at least $100 each on imports so be careful where you park your truck cuz thieves are on the look out. I dont know if any one else posted something about this but I figured I would warn my fellow Bronco lovers.
that fruity ass california with all them nuts running around cracks me up!

RAy

1 - 20 of 36 Posts