Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - let me start with a little background. I am a Human Resources Administrator for a major manufacturer. I work in a male dominated industry over seeing 211 employees. Only 12 female employees including myself.

So this morning I get to work at 6am like I always do and one of the guys is waiting outside my office to talk to me. Apparently he is being sexually harassed by one of the female employees. I guess it started off as flirting (on her part) but in the last week has escalated. This morning he was on break and she sat on his lap and started rubbing against him and he asked her to stop and get out of his lap which she refused to do - so in the end he pushed her off of his lap and told her to knock it off he wasn't interested. He wanted to be the first one to tell me what happened so I told him I would look into it. When my boss came in later I brought him up to speed on what was going on and he laughed and blew it off. I asked him if he wanted me to bring her in and talk to her. He laughed and said "let it go" ???? I've had a few problems with him before and have gone over his head so before I left his office he reminded to let it go and leave Corporate out of it - meaning his bosses. I have a REAL problem with this!!! It is MY job to make sure that the employees have a safe, problem free work environment. Here is a guy working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week barely seeing his wife and kids and he has to come here and deal with this!!!

So I guess what I'm wondering is....Am I the one blowing this out of proportion? Should I just let it go? I think if the situation were reversed and the male employee was the one doing the harassing they would be all over it to get it resolved.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
well with our company we take every sexual harrasment complaint serious. no matter what it is...I wouldnt "blow anything off" and take what ever actions are necessary.

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,563 Posts
i would go over the bosses head, sexual harrassment is just that no matter who is on the receiving end, did the guy ask you to do anything or did he just want it documented? if he asked you to do something and you dont, and he goes legal, you can bet your boss will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat

·
Registered
92 Posts
in my opinion if you don't do anything about it and the situation gets worse it most likely will come back on you. He brought it to your attention like he was supposed to in hopes that you would take care of the situation.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
a sexual harrassment suit in which it is alleged this behavior was brought to your attention and you did nothing about it could later cost you your job, as well as the company millions of dollars in terms of a judgment. i'm real sure "corporate" would want to know about this. companies spend small fortunes to educate their employees and implement procedures to make sure this type of harrassment doesn't occur, because the penalties are ultra severe.

if you don't want to go over your bosses head (in this case i would, but i don't know the politics of your office), however, at the very least i would document this incident in writing, say, put a memo in a file, state what your boss told you to do ("let it go," don't do anything, etc.), and let someone else in your department know about this also so it isn't your word vs. his word later on when he claims you never said anything to him.

does your company have an employee handbook or manual with sexual harrassment policy contained in it? if so, perhaps you want to anonymously leave a highlited copy on this woman's desk?

·
Most Likely To Post
149 Posts
IF anything it is best for the company that this be handled per the law in your state. It may not be easy for you but you might want to tell your boss that it really is in the company's best interest to handle this right now. I have never heard of anyone being fired over saving the company from a law suit. Just my $.02.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Document everything... Keep a record of what was said and by whom to protect yourself. Your boss is setting you and the company up for major problems if this guy wants to push the issue.. I'd almost bet if the crap hits the fan your boss is gonna say you "should" have done this or that to cover himself. You gotta look out for yourself.....

Also might wanna report back to the victim and let him know "he" can take his complaint up the chain of command, but that you've been told to "drop it"... Cover yourself by any means possible......

Fog

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
If you don't do something and the guy decides to sue the company, it will more than likely be your ass on the chopping block and not your bosses. Do something, file a report.

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
You can not just let it go. Tell your boss you are required to act, and are calling the accused into the office to discuss it. If he protests tell him you will go over his head in the interest of the company. Make it seem like you are protecting yours,his, and the compmany's best interests.

Pics of the offender are needed for furhter assistance. :toothless

·
Registered
161 Posts
Anybody see that movie with Demi Moore and Michael Douglas....Indecent Proposal....yeah that would suck for that guy...best document everything that happens...your boss is a dumbass.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
As with every legal procedure i have been through, this would be my advice.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! Get the guy to write a complaint out, and document that he said something about it. Document what your boss said when you tried to bring it to his attention. Document, dates, times, locations, everything you can and be as specific as possible.

I would definitely try to talk to someone besides your boss, if your not happy with the answer he gave you. As a human resources manager unfortunately you fall under the term of "scapegoat" also. You don't want that following around in your career. One person's irresponsibility could affect you for the rest of your life, that's not something i would want.

Just my 2 cents.....

By the way are you wearing......nevermind.....

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
I'd have to agree. You and your boss are breaking policy.

If it bothered the male employee enough to report it, then it should be followed through

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided to go around my boss and take care of as much of this as possible on my own. I spoke to the female employee she admitted that she was "flirting" (her word) with him and didn't stop when he asked her to several times. I had her put everything in writing and had a witness document that she wrote and signed the statement. I suspended her pending a decision....which the company hand book says we have a ZERO tolerance policy when it comes to sexual harassment....and I also had the male employee document his side of the story. I have a meeting with my boss and his boss in a few minutes and I'm going to present this to both of them :eek: Hopefully I have a job when I'm done!

Bronco Rob said:
By the way are you wearing......nevermind.....
The answers no Rob ;)

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
F150chick said:
I decided to go around my boss and take care of as much of this as possible on my own. I spoke to the female employee she admitted that she was "flirting" (her word) with him and didn't stop when he asked her to several times. I had her put everything in writing and had a witness document that she wrote and signed the statement. I suspended her pending a decision....which the company hand book says we have a ZERO tolerance policy when it comes to sexual harassment....and I also had the male employee document his side of the story. I have a meeting with my boss and his boss in a few minutes and I'm going to present this to both of them :eek: Hopefully I have a job when I'm done!

The answers no Rob ;)
good job...should be no reason for you to lose your job. not for doing what is right.:rockon

·
Banned
6,930 Posts
Document everything with memos to file, etc. Talk to your boss again, or bring it up as an "afterthought" in another meeting with him - but with a witness present. Always follow the "...with all due respect, but..." rule. Suggest to him that he file a formal complaint. Of course, you'll have to take it through channels.

There's always the possibility that the woman will try to turn it around, and then you'll have bigger problems.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts