Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from India, courtesy of MicroSoft tech support.

Got the XP upgrade yesterday so I decided to run it in. Piece of cake - uh-huh.........uh-oh! Nope. :whiteflag

Did it by the numbers, tested all the applications. Reinstalled the printer and modem drivers. Printer was okay. Went to get on the Internet, and whoa........! I could talk, but nobody answered. Fussed and fumed 'til the early hours but nothing worked. Thought the storms might have knocked the ISP off the air. :shrug

Called a friend this morning, and the ISP is okay. Gotta be my problem. Called MS support. Now I've got a hearing problem, the phone connection was full of static, and with his accent it took over two hours to get in a ten minute conversation. :banghead

Problem turned out to be the Windows default modem driver couldn't handle my US Robotics modem. The modem could talk, just couldn't hear. Deleted the Windows driver, and everything's fine. :chili:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ah yes the power of lost US jobs going to overseas! Well at least your up and running, I've heard worse upgrade problems!

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, up 'n runnin'. Now it'll take a couple of months to get used to the new look. The F1 key is gonna get a beating..........

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,528 Posts
Had a fix for ya... could have saved you a call.

Those India fukers you called, took my job in 2003. :cry

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4xPepe` said:
Had a fix for ya... could have saved you a call.

Those India fukers you called, took my job in 2003.
:doh0715:

Well, at least MS India was toll free. Ya got a toll free number I can call the next time I can't get on the net, Pepe?

The only thing I lost out of the upgade was my Mustek flatbed scanner. It works fine from Win3.11 up thru Win98SE if anybody wants it for shipping costs. (Just thought I'd throw that in.) It's got fax/OCR software with it. And no, I'm not gonna multiboot 98SE just to scan. I s'pose I'll just get another scanner down the road.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I hate companies that outsource customer service to India, most times I will just hang up and try again till I get an American.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,528 Posts
Closest you'll get with MS these days is Canukian.

Yea marv... call 1-800-YEAR-2006 and ask for CABLE! :goodfinge

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
:stupid

Time for cable, brother. Join the rest of us.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, $20/month for 20mb on the server and direct Net access thru a LOCAL number ain't shabby for livin' in the sticks. Besides, Mo-Net has broadband to a couple of towns here in SW Missouri west of me. I'll wait my turn.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
4xPepe` said:
Closest you'll get with MS these days is Canukian.

Yea marv... call 1-800-YEAR-2006 and ask for CABLE! :goodfinge
Nope we have to call

Sekunder in Bombay too ! On the bright side it's middle of the day over there when Marv called and your one job, Pepe, is now feeding 30 families.

Ain't nobody enjoys outsourcing, that's for sure. Saw that 60 minutes special where the Doctor ditches his secretary and 35 people in a classroom/office in Calcutta do the job, while he sleeps, for half her salary.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Dohno, my desktop went to SP2 and Ive got no problems. Guess I was lucky. EVERYTHING is working as before, even all my video editing software, all my TCP/IP stuff even.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MyFullSize said:
Dohno, my desktop went to SP2 and Ive got no problems. Guess I was lucky. EVERYTHING is working as before, even all my video editing software, all my TCP/IP stuff even.
I gather you went from XP System Pack 1 to XP System Pack 2. Problems, if any, should have been nominal.

I went from Win98se to XP Home edition with SP2 included. Googled up a bunch of hits on problems with XP and US Robotics Winfax 1807 modems.

MODEM.SYS

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
the only drawback to living in the sticks is crappy internet... even though I can see a water tower 2 miles away, the wireless provider won't fix their damn equipment, and I can't currently get a signal! Fawkers... :banghead

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sascrotch said:
ooo bad timing. the new windows vista is due out this year. hope you didnt pay full price for xp.
Oh, yes. Heard some snickers about Vista the other day...:rofl:...got my XP straight from MicroSoft. Last upgrade (Win98se) came from Wal-Mart with three bad CAB files!
JahWarrior said:
the only drawback to living in the sticks is crappy internet... even though I can see a water tower 2 miles away, the wireless provider won't fix their damn equipment, and I can't currently get a signal! Fawkers... :banghead
I'll put up with 56k dial-up as long as I can go out on the deck at night as see the Milky Way, or walk down to the lake and do some fishing...:chili:

BTW, since I lost support for my flatbed scanner with XP, I just ordered a new (not refurb) Lexmark X4270 printer/fax/scanner/copier from Techonweb.com for $61.45 + $10.50 s/h. Always had good luck w/Lexmark, they make a lot of IBM stuff.

Anybody need a good Lexmark Z515 (same as Z31/Z33's) ink-jet printer?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I've got a SCUZI scanner that won't work with nothing but 98 SE. I just keep one old machine on my net for just such emergencies.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
sascrotch said:
ooo bad timing. the new windows vista is due out this year. hope you didnt pay full price for xp.
Nah. The Beta v.2 isn't even supposed to be out until late October, it'll be late 07-early 08 before we see it. Even then, I'm going to give it about 8 months before I buy it, they'll have it all patched up nicely by that time.

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
you know if you get one of those outsource fawkers- you can just ask for an american... and, BY LAW, they hav to transfer you. i did it with SBC cus i was getting nowhere with "islam john"- and they transfered me to a US service...10 minutes later... my dsl is back...
GOD BLESS AMERICA
ace

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ahhhhhhhhhh - Alkaseltzer relief! The Lexmark X4270 came in today. A little complex to install. Learned I had to de-install my Lexmark Z515 to avoid some conflicts in the software. But it works as advertised - slicker 'n snot on a glass door knob! Scan, print, copy (no distortion), fax. Haven't tested the fax receive yet though. Got OCR, too!

Only negative is the sheet fed scanner - no more scanning open books on a flat-bed. Oh well, that's life. I can live with it.

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
marv said:
I'll put up with 56k dial-up as long as I can go out on the deck at night as see the Milky Way, or walk down to the lake and do some fishing...
and with dial up and some of the picture whores here, you'll have time to do some fishin' ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts