Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have been reading for a while now, I cant find this answer so here goes.

Do you absolutley need to have the 6" equivelent of lift on the bronco? Id like to jsut have maybe another 4" of lift tops. IMHO the 6" of lift would make my truck a little to unstable for some of the stuff I go on because I do a lot of off-camber stuff around here.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
you have to have anywhere from 6 to 8 inches, in order to clear the engine crossmember. you may be able to fab up some kind of new crossmember, but that would be a lot of extra work just to keep it to 2 inches less. if you engineer everything right i think it could be more stable than your stocker with 6 inches. look at all the other guys superfords that have the SAS and see what they have done, especially chris85xlt

wes

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
With what front axle swapped in?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I imagine that Keith's truck only has about 5" of lift. That's about the bare minimum, tho... and pretty much requires that you don't have any fenders in order to clear the tires.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
seboh said:
and pretty much requires that you don't have any fenders in order to clear the tires.
No *PUN* intended right? :toothless :toothless

Keith loves sheetmetal. :goodfinge

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
you can get away with a little less than 6" if you trim the engine xmember and modify the radius arm brackets so the face is angled back a little. extended arms or drop brackets would help too.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Well with my '87 60 I've got plenty of clearance when stuffed..........but take a '78/9 D44 with the diff further inboard and I dunno what would happen. It's near impossible to accurately "eyeball" things like this

With my new front springs I've got more like 7" front lift (guessing) but less travel.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
i got 6" and dont have and I feel its stable enough, you seen my pics so you be the judge. on the street there is less roll than with the ttb and it feels more sure footed

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my big thing is, there are a lot of trails around here that skirt the mountain face that are jsut barley big enough to fit a bronco on. side scraping the entire way. well on these trails its a wall straight up and on the other side a straight down veiw. there are also parts of these trails where its bad enough in my buddys pathfinder that if you are on the side of the lean if you reach your hand out you can touch the ground.

My thing is, I want to go on the trails still, but not go off the side lol.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
OldBlue said:
my big thing is, there are a lot of trails around here that skirt the mountain face that are jsut barley big enough to fit a bronco on. side scraping the entire way. well on these trails its a wall straight up and on the other side a straight down veiw. there are also parts of these trails where its bad enough in my buddys pathfinder that if you are on the side of the lean if you reach your hand out you can touch the ground.

My thing is, I want to go on the trails still, but not go off the side lol.
Sounds cool! Got pix?

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
I have tried to explain this since the MBB days Brad, peeps aint gonna understand.
I have touched down on one side (Drivers), and two seconds later almost rolled down the mountain side. I had pics, but they got lost in the crash.
Our mountains are wierd in some areas.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah I know jer. Pll just wont understand the trails on the wasatch front till they actually run em. you think moab has some picker factor in it? try some of the trails in the wasatch specially above bountiful/farmington/morgan. the skyline trail is a killer.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
seboh said:
Hey Keith.... I measure right around 7" of lift. Are you *that* tall?
I honestly dunno dude...........I can tell you I'm approx 1.5 to 2" higher than I was in Moab with these springs.

Hmm, the best I can give you is this pic, the truck used to have nose-down rake but now it's level or even a bit higher in the front. This is not real helpful I know, but keep in mind those are 37's vs your 35's

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Before anyone gets any ideas, i got first dibs on humping Keith's air compressor!!!

I already made sweet love to his plasma cutter when he wasnt looking, so you guys can have sloppy seconds or dirty thirds on that, but the air compressor is my bitch first.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not if I beat you down first., BTW a 500 gallon tank AC gives real good BJ's lmao.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well... if you really want to get technical about it, I can give you my measurements to the bottom of the rockers. But that sounds like it's getting you close to that high....

And yeah, I can't tell chit from that photo. It might as well be a picture of a Hot Wheels Bronco.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts