Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. My name is Steve, and I'm an engineering student at Grand Valley State University, Padnos College of Engineering & Computing. I've earned an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Automotive Engineering from Monroe County Community College, and I'm currently about two years away from getting my B.S.E.E.

I come from a small town: Ida, Michigan. Clicky for a nice map of where the heck THAT is. I stayed there throughout my high school and community college career, but moved to Detroit while I attended University of Detroit Mercy for a year (2003-2004) and joined Sigma Phi Epsilon, my fraternity. I'm living in downtown Grand Rapids now, and to say that moving from Detroit to here is a mind**** would be an understatement. This place is crazy, but it's mostly the people who are. :uhoh3

I've been interested in automotive pursuits since I was a small child; I helped my father change oil on my mom's 1983 Caprice Classic when I was five years old. When I was 12, I experienced my first ride in a 1989 Ford Mustang GT, which has influenced me throughout my life since then. My first vehicle was a 1978 F-250 Ranger with an inline-6, four on the floor, and a Traction-Lok differential. What more does a 15-year-old kid livin' in the sticks need?

My next vehicle was a 1979 Mercury Capri, which I still own to this day. Granted it's not a Mustang, but it is a Fox-body car. In my mind, it was better because it was a Mercury, and I had paid the whole $750 buying price by myself, working for minimum wage. I've had other vehicles as well over the years: a 1984 Mazda 626, a 1985 Mustang LX 4-banger, a 1980 Chrysler Newport, a 1993 Honda Accord LX, a 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis, and (my favorite toy) a 1987 Mustang LX Notchback. All of those vehicles taught me one thing: all vehicles are basically the same, it's just some details that are different. Think about it. If you tear down a small-block V8, doesn't it generally all do the same thing? So what if the distributor is in back or front, it serves the same purpose, right?

Usually if I get into an argument with anyone here on the boards, it's stemming from my engineering background. I like to analyze the problem, suggest a correct and permanent solution, minimize cost, design & fabricate things to near perfection, and maintain factory reliability over everything else. From the Mustang, I learned that speed costs money, and it's [really really really] x10^92 hard to beat the factory for reliability.

My other interests are music, computers, electronics, horseback riding, and getting the hell out of here so I can make some fat cash to pay off these damn bills!

Oh, the Bronco..hehehe. It's a 1993 Eddie Bauer, 5.8L, E4OD. There's only a couple of small rust spots on it, and it's also the only Bronco I could find for sale at a reasonable price within a few hundred miles. I could say that I lucked out quite a bit. Everything on this truck is/was original, right down to the hoses and distributor cap. Yet it started and ran fine at the dealership in Grand Ledge. It has 113k miles on it. The only real repairs I've had to perforn are replacing the torque converter, radius arm bushings, and the usual maintenance stuff. I still can't believe how well this truck runs when I consider how old it is; it's almost like brand new.

When I graduate, I'm moving to Texas to get the hell out of this salt-laden frozen craphole called Michigan.

·
Registered
794 Posts
wow, that's quite the intro. welcome to the site. i hope you enjoy it and find the info useful.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, sorry about the length. Not the first time I've said that. :histerica I think I wrote that around the same time I was finishing writing a 17-page paper. My fingers went on auto-pilot somehow. Let's hope they work on spring break when I'm tearing off my now-cracked exhaust manifolds. :banghead

1 - 14 of 14 Posts