Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Son is going to Washington D.C. for the safety patrol this year.
I figured that I would teach him how hard it is to earn a buck so, I am making him collect cans, crush them, bag them, and put them in my little trailer.
Once the trailer is full, we bring it to a newly opened recycle place where he can turn them in and get cash.
Anyway, for about a year, I have seen this red Eddie Bauer (92-96) sitting behind a fence.
Cut to the chase.
I had Monday off and the trailer was full so I took it to get recycled and the Bronco was still sitting there.
I asked the guy at the scales what the deal was and he told me that it was the owners truck and he was selling it "for a few hundred bucks" but it had a "few dropped pistons".
The line was pretty long where the owner was giving the payout so I went and looked at the rig.
It looks straight. It has a tube front bumper with a class III hitch and a stock rear bumper with hitch.
Interior looks OK and the tailgate has the expected rust.
Also, (this must be a florida thing), the B piller was rusted on this one also. I had the same problem with my last BKO and I naver repaired it.
I have learned a lot about what to do and what NOT to do from messing with my 92 so hopefully this one will turn out nicer.
Plus, it does not NEED to be a daily driver so I have the luxury of parking it while I work on it.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Well that's a terrific gesture Brother, I'm sure it will turn out nicely and I wish you and you're son the best with the project.....post some pictures when you get a chance ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a great start for 400 bucks!:beer
It depends on what a "dropped piston" means.
For all I know, it could be some stuck lifters.

It needs new tires for sure so, there is about $700.00 right off the bat.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke to the owner this morning on my way to work for a few minutes.
He wants $500.00 for it and was quick to tell me that is what it was worth in scrap alone so, I am not sure if I can talk him down or not.
He said that it runs and that it ran when he parked it but, one of the pistons had very low compression.
Best case is that it is a bad valve seal and worst case is collapsed rings.
He also said that 4 LOW does not work but 4 HIGH does so I am thinking either a bad switch or a stuck gear.
I know that the truck has to be in neutral to put it in low so it might be something with that also.
Anyway, there is a GOOD possibility that I will try to air up the one flat tire and drive it home (1 mile) this weekend.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Awesome man. $500 is not bad, worth it to be a project truck and time spent with the son on it you can’t put a price on. Some of my best times are in the garage wrenching with my dad. Good luck with it and post pictures when you can.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Spoke to the owner this morning on my way to work for a few minutes.
He wants $500.00 for it and was quick to tell me that is what it was worth in scrap alone so, I am not sure if I can talk him down or not.
He said that it runs and that it ran when he parked it but, one of the pistons had very low compression.
Best case is that it is a bad valve seal and worst case is collapsed rings.
He also said that 4 LOW does not work but 4 HIGH does so I am thinking either a bad switch or a stuck gear.
I know that the truck has to be in neutral to put it in low so it might be something with that also.
Anyway, there is a GOOD possibility that I will try to air up the one flat tire and drive it home (1 mile) this weekend.
that depends on the tcase, the 4 low doesnt work in the one in my mazda(ranger) and during research have found some of them are bad about snapping the shift forks off. I did mine ina mud hole...whoops

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that depends on the tcase, the 4 low doesnt work in the one in my mazda(ranger) and during research have found some of them are bad about snapping the shift forks off. I did mine ina mud hole...whoops
Interesting.
I need to learn a bit more on the fine details of how these transfer cases work.
On my last one (92), I never had any problems with the transfer case and my auto hubs never have me a problem so, I never really HAD to learn much about them.
I have discovered that fixing crap that broke is a really good way to learn about stuff (I am now pretty good at fixing the tailgate).
Anyway, looking forward to coming back to the family.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo Bill,
Sometime take time to read through this Four Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 for Bronco, F Series & Ranger (COMPLETE); Includes Electric Shift On The Fly (ESOF) Troubleshooting & Hub Operation, etc.
by Ford via Chilton

some excerpts;
"If the vehicle won't shift into 4L, check the speed sensor and the transmission interlocks (neutral or clutch in). Also check the 4L switch (C3) to see if the module is getting a signal. Be sure to check for corroded connections.

It may seem strange to say this, but you should ask the owner/operator if this was the first time the vehicle was ever shifted into 4L. Many vehicles are purchased and operated for considerable periods of time before a shift to 4L is made. The problem may be a defective part that was there from the beginning.

If the vehicle is brought to the shop in 4L with the report that it won't shift back to 4H, your first check is to follow the proper sequence of being stopped and having the vehicle in neutral (or clutch in) when pushing the switch. If this doesn't do the trick, check the 4L switch and the motor position sensor.

Shift From 2H to 4H Results in Chatter and Clicking Noises From The Module, But No Shift

Typically, in this situation the motor hunts for 4H, but overshoots, then hunts back and overshoots the other way. After 7-10 seconds, with lots of clicks and chatter, the module gives up and returns to the default, which is 2H. This problem is normally not the sensor input. It is usually the result of the motor running too fast or braking too slowly to allow the module to position it accurately. The motor must be replaced..."
Some yards and tire places have good deals on used, but inspected tires. But our 15" size is getting tough to find; some use retreads
http://www.treadwright.com/

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far, the only modifications I am seeing is a lift and the big steel tube bumper.
The owner is also the owner of a pool supply company so hopefully he has not been hauling chlorine in the bed of this thing but, we will see.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Allright.
I found four free rims with 31 inch tires off of Craigslist.
They really are junk but, they all hold air and should be good enough to drive the one mile to my house.
Getting excited about this rig....
You should have seen me hauling them home in my Cavalier.....

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I went to get a closer look at the rig on Saturday.

First of all, what I THOUGHT was an EB turned out to simply be a filthy "white" on red XLT.
It was so dirty that I thought it was tan from a distance.
As I was getting out of my truck, a young (19 maybe) man approched me and asked what I was doing.
I explained I was checking out the truck.
He then told me that he was the owner of the truck.
I told him that I spoke to an older guy who owned the shop on Thursday and he told me that HE was the owner.
The kid explained that was his Father and while, technically, Dad did own the truck, the kid was the one who drove it (alarm #1)
The front fenders had been sawzall'd to make room for the 35 inch rubber (alarm #2)
I opened the front door and it smelled like the Everglades (alarm #3). A closer look found a water line at about the middle of the front seat.
I popped the hood and the air cleaner was gone. The TB was unprotected and there were signs of water intrusion.
Needless to say, I am not getting that truck so, the search continues.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Good call man, some times if it sounds too good to be tru it really is. I am sure you can find one for a decent price that you wont have to sink thousands into to make it reliable and decently nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts