Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 5.8 Bronco I took out the abs pump and I would like to get rid of the computer and wiring now as well. I know there are a couple of wires that I have to jump to keep the speed sensors working but after i connect them can I just trace the other wires back and get rid of them at the point of origin?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,797 Posts
search for PSOM reprogramming, one of the many threads that come up should show what wires need jumped at the connector. I wouldnt try to remove any wiring if you can help it other then the actual wires running to the front sensors.

just curious why you are removing this stuff?

·
Super Moderator
24,658 Posts
I have a 94 5.8 Bronco I took out the abs pump and I would like to get rid of the computer and wiring now as well.

I know there are a couple of wires that I have to jump to keep the speed sensors working but after i connect them can I just trace the other wires back and get rid of them at the point of origin?
yo
4WABS Control Module Bypass for PSOM Operation due to Bad 4WABS Control Module at 4WABS Module Connector; "...jumper 14 (CKT 530, LG/Y)to 21 (CKT 519 (LG/BK) & 39 (CKT 491 (O/LB)to 22 (CKT 523, R/PK)..."

Source: by Turbo Ghost at FSB

4WABS Control Module Removal in 93-96; "...Disconnect the plug from it, remove the 10mm bolt holding it in and slide it out of the keyway" (see lower image)
Source: by Froggmann (Ken P) at http://www.froggmann.com/Bronco/Tech/ABS.htm

Someone here in FSB also replaced lines and hoses with those from F Series
will try to find the post later

·
Super Moderator
24,658 Posts
yo,
here ya go;
4WABS Delete in a 94; ...no on the hcu. get rid of that fawker. It does nothing, and I would be willing to bet you wont even need a prop valve, unless you are running rear discs, which I dont think you are IIRC. All a prop valve does is reduce the pressure to the rear to kkep it from locking up, so unless that is a problem, you dont need one, and can always add it later. I bent all new brake lines from the mc to the front and rear, though I did tie into the stock rear where there is a union (about under the drivers door). I ran a new line to a single drop line like the old sytle brakes. Much cleaner imo, and will never limit my tavel like the stock dual drop lines. the only fawker is that ford uses metric stuff now, and used standard back then, so make sure you get you nuts right if you bend new lines..."
by Damon H (Plug Ugly) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3510&highlight=ABS+Delete

·
Registered
459 Posts
so, if i'm reading this correctly, I can install these jumpers and it will bypass my ABS on my 94? This will then turn off the ABS light on the dash? thanks.

·
Banned
38,667 Posts
The jumpers only send the signal from the ABS sensor to the PSOM. They have nothing to do with the ABS light on the dash. To kill that, pull the 4WABS relays & diode.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok I know im posting this really latebut I have a 93 5.8 and the abs unit right next to the power steering pump is leaking....it has 6 lines total coming in...2 on top and 4 on the side faceing the tire(meanin you can see them if you look at the wheel) ok my question is can I shit can all that...and just have regular brakes and no abs...and if so how can it be done...ive looked for threads for 3 days about this and no luck...also should I be worried about brake faliure...i keep the master full ....but will my brakes stop workin if this dont get removed soon ????and dose anybody know what this thing is called

·
Banned
38,667 Posts
That sounds ridiculously cheap. I suspect that's a RABS valve; not a 4WABS HCU. Click my black Bronco in my signature (below this post; not beside it) and read the captions in the Brakes & Hubs album. There's a group about halfway down that deals with 4WABS.

·
Super Moderator
24,658 Posts
yo,
4WABS Hydraulic Control Unit Overview & Mounting Diagram
The Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) consists of a valve body assembly, a pump and a motor assembly. During normal braking, fluid from the master cylinder enters the HCU through two inlet ports located at the top of the HCU. The fluid then passes through three normally open inlet valves, one to each wheel in the front and one line to the rear wheels. If the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) senses that a wheel is about to lock, the ECU pulses the appropriate inlet valve which closes that valve.
This prevents any more fluid from entering the affected brake. The ECU then looks at that wheel again. If it is still decelerating, the ECU pulses the normally closed outlet valve which decreases the pressure trapped in the line.

4WABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) Sources "...called Raybestos to inquire about the part and they said they were out and had no current plans for another run. They did give me the number for the company that remans this part for them. SIA Electronics (800)737-0915; Raybestos told me to dial ext 102 and talk to Kevin. I left a message and got no reply. However, when I called back a couple of days later, I spoke to a customer service rep, she was very helpful and explained how to send in the unit for reman and gave me a quote of $425. Pretty steep if you ask me. Online reviews of SIA Electronics are harsh. In fact, it appears their BBB accreditation was suspended on 31 May 2011 due to unresolved complaints. http://www.bbb.org/stlouis/business-...n-il-310015153. This worries me, but reading through them, they are for reman'd ECUs and it looks like people are dropping ECUs in their vehicles when the problem is somewhere else. Who knows. also called BBA-Reman, but they told me they only work on the electronic components of ABS, not the hydraulic pieces..." ..."
Source: by JAYNESS the Great at FSB http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201244&page=2

4WABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) Sources "...Used price locally is $150.00; 60 day guarantee; Babaganoosh wrote; "...BBA did the rebuilds on ABS Modules for my old VW/Audi Shop. They were super inexpensive, fast, friendly, and only had one issue with them ever and it was 50% my fault anyways (keep in mind it's VW stuff anyways...". by consensus the best re man 4WABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU)s are from bba-reman.com; BBA quotes $200 plus shipping for repair of/my HCU; "It usually takes about 3 days from receipt to repair..." miesk5 UPDATE, check w/BBA first; they may have stopped re-man ops.
Source: by Babaganoosh & miesk5 at FSB
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168327&highlight=bba&page=2

BBA-reman http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx
e-mail BBA

Raybestos
http://www.raybestos.com
Abs Hydraulic Assembly, Remanufactured
Professional Grade ABS540042

Attachments

·
Banned
38,667 Posts
because they suck when you sliding down a muddy hill and your brakes just let go.
That can only happen due to ABS activity if you're doing more than 5mph down that muddy hill. 4WABS isn't active below that speed. The engineers thought about that when they designed the system, so it's entirely compatible with off-roading. :thumbup If your brakes just let go, there's a problem with them that should be repaired - it's not an inherent fault with the ABS system.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Off roading and 4wabs isn't fun. I've had 3 vehicles that drove me crazy as soon as I drove them hard on dirt. Steve, I agree with the <5 MPH statement, but it's getting to 5 MPH when sliding down that nasty hill that is the problem.

On road in any weather condition I swear by ABS religiously.

·
Registered
193 Posts
No.
One was a 2009 D-Max Silverado.
Another was a 2006 Tacoma
The last was a 95 explorer that I had on loan for a few months. Might have been a 94, really don't remember.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts