Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I have a 1996 XLT FSB 215K. The ABS light came on and has stayed lit for 2 days. Mechanic first said speed sensor/ replaced the part but light still active.

5 years ago the ABS lit and the fix was a stuck brake caliper-piston (excuse my lack or technical terminology)

What would be the next 2 or 3 things we should check?

Lit ABS light means no active anti lock brakes- right??

thanks;

Snooknook

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,875 Posts
well i would suspect a caliper issue again if that pointed to the issue last time. how long has it been since your brakes were done?? there are also abs sensors on each front wheel perhaps one of them are bad.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pull the codes and post the numbers. I am also having ABS problems so we could work together on this problem. Thanks to all the people that have posted about ABS issues!!

·
7,875 Posts
no there is one sensor out back and 2 upfront. 1 at each front wheel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay, I'm being told that its the ABS pump and it costs a bunch of money and FORD mechanics can't get one because my 1996 is too old- WTF?

·
7,875 Posts
have you pulled ABS codes yet? who is telling you this Ford or a brake shop?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ford mechanic pulled codes yesterday and said it was the sensor. That was replaced but did not solve the prob.- amd takem back out. Now I'm told it's the ABS pump according to the service writer who asks the mechanic. I was told they can't get or find the ABS pump because the truck is "old" and it's like 1500$.

Help- what should I ask them about and how can I get this resolved

·
Registered
604 Posts
I called my local Ford dealership only a few months ago (summertime maybe?), and it was $700. NAPA has it for $400. You are being screwed.

Now, the big question - WHAT CODE DID THEY PULL??? If they won't tell you, pull it your self and tell us, and WE can tell you what is wrong, or at least confirm the diagnosis from them.

--MIKE--

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay- right I see the reman at NAPA for 384$--- FORD wants like 1500 for the job..no dice.

So, I don't know how-- should I try a brand name brake shop and bring the part?

What's the labor coast for the ABS pump replace?

I'll have codes shortly--- Or I call back an tell them to button it up and get away from her!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Can't tell you what labor might be - a few hours tops. I was going to do it myself and just have Ford bleed the brakes ($160) because I do not have the electronics to activate the ABS to clear the air from the lines in there.

At $1500, that is $700 for the part, and 8 hours of labor at $100 an hour. Too high in the labor amount, and unless that 8 hours includes the time to fly the part from a warehouse, it's too many hours too. :)

Presuming they are right - Get the truck back, buy the reman yourself, install it your self, and pay for the bleed job (unless someone can tell us all how to do it on the cheap). You will be out a few hours of your time, and under $500.

Or bring it to me, I'll do the work and only charge you $1200. ;-)

If money is REALLY an issue, forget the whole thing. I've had a bad solenoid in the main unit since summer and have not had any problems other than no ABS, which none of my old t-birds had, nor my first car (an old '77 Nova). I'll fix it one day. It might be summer again until then, but eh, I'll get to it.

--MIKE--

·
7,875 Posts
also dont forget there is an ABS control module under your washer fluid tank. if something is wrong it will produce an ABS light. I had an issue where my speedo and abs light was on. i tracked down the control module as being the problem and swapped in a used unit from Steve83 and has been working great ever since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had a weird wiper wash issue/ sometimes at speeds65+no squirt,squirt then sometime none at all.

Okay- Ford said NO CODES!! what? Okay then why did you try to change a rear wheel sensor?

Okay- So I asked how did you know it was a bad ABS pump? We checked it? Okay how? Not a clear response to that one..

SO they buttoned it up and I paid 95$ for the evaluation.

The Ford mechanic that I usually use has moved to a tightass dealership which allows no side jobs. He has a work bay at a nother location and I tracked him down.

He told me to do squat and let him sniff around.

I think with the advice of the board I will sit tight for a bit and think this thing through.

Thanks a ton for saving my a** some serious dollars.!!!!

Drinks on me

·
Registered
216 Posts
A tip I read on another forum to bleed the anti-lock pump was to bleed the brakes normally take the truck to a dirt road and activate the brakes while going fast enough that the anti-lock pump will engage and refill the brake fluid as needed after bleeding again.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Snooknook, Good. Let us know what your friend figures out.

No codes? Wow, they were about to give you the royal screws!

But if the ABS light is on, there is a code somewhere. Maybe they were reading the Engine computer and not the ABS computer? I'd also fight that $95 evaluation fee too. They did nothing for you that they can legally quantize, and although they spent time, they had no expertise and are charging for expertise they do not have. But maybe I'm just an arsehole. :)

--MIKE--

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
You were getting dicked over. They have absolutely no idea whats going on or how the system works. That light doesn't come on or flash for no reason; it comes on when there is a failure, and that failure is documented by the 4WABS controller in the form of a code. Go to Steve83's SuperMotors.net page, and pull your codes yourself. Stop waiting, DO IT.

Here, I'm feeling charitable tonight:

Click the pic, follow the intructions after the illustration.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
check you brake fluid mine comes on on my 89 when the brake fluid gets low. leaky resivior o rings.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts