Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 88 has been driving fine but when i go for a long distance say anything over 10 miles the antilock break light comes on the dash and stays on. could this just be a bad switch. were should i start looking. Im going to be getting a bigger motor and new ecu soon so i would like to correct the issue before i get going down the road faster then before hehe.

thanks fellas
latr

·
Registered
502 Posts
For most people it is a bad rear sensor. Mine has bigger problems, lucky me. Try a search on ABS and you should get a lot of info. Also, try pulling your ABS codes.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Mine comes on after a dozen miles or so, too...

But mine is because my pump was going out so I just unplugged it. It stops better w/o ABS anyway :)

:beer
Bill

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Mine comes on after I hit the brakes for the first time.. Yippee!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Its the ABS proportioning valve, or something like that... Mine did it and that was my problem. There was a topic a few months ago about this and there were like 4 people that had the same thing as me, try a search for the topic.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,714 Posts
Just like Spade mentioned, Start by pulling the ABS codes. Mine was the drivers side frt. sensor.

On yours it is most likely the ABS sensor on the tranny.

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,714 Posts
Oh, yeah......I see you and Pepe` had the same spelling teacher. "Breaks = Brakes":lolup :lolup :lolup :) :) :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

Also it might just be a lose connection. Have you noticed any thing when your light comes on and you step on the break, I mean BRAKE? hehehehe

Mine would pull to the right when I would slam on the brakes. The readings gave me that it was the drivers side sensor that was bad. That is why it pulled to the right.

Good Luck

Allcruisen :imp :usa

G

·
just to let you know, i have the same problem, and when i took it in to get the brakes done, they said it would cost around 150 or so to fix that problem... just rip the s.o.b. out!

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Yes-- i also recieved a $130 quote to "fix" my ABS. So went to the Ford delership, gave them $20 for a new sensor, removed ONE bolt and unplugged ONE wire, pulled it out, and dropped the new sensor in. Screwed the bolt back in, and plugged in the wire harness..

Truth be told, it probably took me longer to type this than it took to replace the sensor :thumbup

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ogeechee 4x4 said:
Yes-- i also recieved a $130 quote to "fix" my ABS. So went to the Ford delership, gave them $20 for a new sensor, removed ONE bolt and unplugged ONE wire, pulled it out, and dropped the new sensor in. Screwed the bolt back in, and plugged in the wire harness..

Truth be told, it probably took me longer to type this than it took to replace the sensor :thumbup
Before you even bother to replace, clean all three, unplug battery for 30 min and see if it goes away after that.
:beer

·
Registered
245 Posts
BroncoBilly96 said:
I put in a new sensor and I disconnected the battery for a hour and the light is still on.
If you didn't already...

Get a chilton or haynes manual, it will tell you how to grab the abs error code. There are really only a handful -- rt front sensor bad, lt front bad, rear bad, unit bad. Then, replace that part.

G

·
you have to center the pressure differential valve, and once thats done, your light on the dash should go out... to do so...

1. bleed hydraulic system and fill master cylinder resevoir
2. block wheels from rolling
3. turn ignition to on/accessory and release parking brake
4. crack open one of the master cylinders outlet lines using a flare nut wrench, (the line opposite of the failed circuit) (make sure you have something put down to catch fluids)
5. have someone sit in the truck and push on the brake pedal, and the pressure diff. within the valve created by cracking the one line should force the valve to its position and the light SHOULD go out... when the light goes out, stop pressing the pedal IMMEDIATELY.
6. you will have to repeat this process on the other outlet line - do not release the pedal at this point...
7. after, tighten the outlet line, and have the other person release the brake pedal AFTER you've closed the line.
8. if this first procedure fails, try it on the other outlet line...

hope that helps?

G

·
stangmata50l said:
I took my Bronco to the dealership and they told me that my pump was bad :shrug ...they quoted me $800 for a new one. But now that I've read all of your posts I'm beginning to think that they were trying to rip me. :mad:
thats a dealership for ya :thumbup

·
Registered
315 Posts
my abs light comes on every once and a while, and stays on until i turn the truck off again, but mine is usually accomanied by a loud grinding noise from my 5spd tranny..

i put a post up about this before and got no replys...

its only done it twice so im not too worried :cool:

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
only time my ABS light comes on if for like 2 seconds when i first crank the beast. based on the number of people whose light stays on all the time, it is starting to make believe its *my* truck thats broken. :\

1 - 20 of 35 Posts