Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All. I'm new here: I just bought a '94 XLT with a 5.0 - automatic. ...and a few problems. I'll try to keep my questions specific.

Here is the first one... (I have searched and read the ABS posts but haven't found this exact problem)

The brakes work fine until it slows to 10 mph. Everytime, at 10 mph the ABS (I think) makes the breaks start to shutter. The voltage meter flickers and the lights will dim slightly. The ABS light does not come on during this process. (It does light up with the other indicators when I start the engine.)

Since I'm a newbie in the Bronco world... I don't have a repair manual yet, but from the posts that I've read, I understand that there are 3 ABS sensors on my Bronco. Two in the front and one in the back. The two in the front cost about $75 each and the one in the back is about $15. Correct?

Does this sound like a sensor problem? ...or is there something else that might be causing the brakes to shutter?

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
HiLander

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Don't go throwing parts at the truck, it's a waste of money. I think if the ABS had a problem the light would come on. Get a manuel first and take the wheels off. Look for worn parts. If the rotors or drums are warped it can cause the the shudder your talking about. You can also pull the codes from the abs and ECM systems with a haynes manuel, it has really good instructions. For the ECM codes you can also use www.fordfuelinjection.com, he's got great instructions and is really helpful.(he's a regular on this board). Hope this helps--Good luck---Fog

P>S>--Welcome to the site, enjoy. Don't forget to stop by the introductions and say hi...Fog

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Fog.

I'm pretty sure it's not anything "mechanical" because it shutters (quivers) like when you hit the brakes on ice. The brakes are very smooth until it hits 10 mph. (The fella I bought the Bronco from just had all the brakes done.) I'm confident that the ABS is causing this problem, but I've never worked on an ABS system before. (My old '77 Scout is pretty darn easy to work on.)
Is it possible to pull codes from the ABS even if the light isn't coming on? I'll probably pick up a manual tonight. Is Haynes better than Chiltons?

Here is something else to think about. The instrument cluster was replaced because the speedo wasn't working. Well, whoever replaced it didn't get a good one (or hooked it up wrong) because the dash lights don't work. I know that is a question for another time, but could that affect the ABS indicator. ...even though the ABS indicator lights up when I start the truck?

Again, thanks for your help.

HiLander

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Well, with new brakes, then it might be one of the speed sensors for the abs going bad... I think the ABS system only holds codes while the engine is on, On my 89 it will only hold codes until you shut it down. You have to try to get the codes right after you have the problem. But I'm pretty sure your system is much better. The haynes/chiltons are about the same. I have both just because i found the chiltons under the rear seat(a little present from the previous owner) after I bought the Haynes. But personnaly I prefer the haynes. The manuel will have good instructions on pulling the codes and I don't think you need any special tools to do it...I'd try the codes first. Hopefully someone with a newer model will chime in with some more suggestions...Good luck--fog

Wonder if the mechanic who replaced the brakes knocked a sensor loose or something????

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the Haynes manual. Haven't had time to pull the ABS codes. The manual says I have to jump a couple of the pins. I looked for the plug near the ABS module but didn't see anything too obvious to use. ...any ideas? What does the plug look like? Where EXACTLY do I find it? Is it plugged into something else?

Could this ABS problem be related to my "dash lights" problem?

Please help.....

Thanks,
HiLander

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sounds like the problem I was having. Bad ABS sensor in the front DS, but I would also get the ABS light warning. When you start the bko does the ABS lite come on then off? If not I'll be someone just pulled the bulb.
:shrug

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the ABS indicator lights up for a couple seconds when starting the truck. If I were going to pull the ABS codes (assumming it would flash with a trouble code) what does the plug look like and where would I find it? The haynes manual isn't very specific....

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
HiLander said:
Yes, the ABS indicator lights up for a couple seconds when starting the truck. Thanks.
That is normal. If you had an ABS issue/code it would stay on. You may have some crap in the tone ring that is confusing the sensor. BTW is there an actual "shudder" like a vibration or is it more a "pulse", like the abs is engaging?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is definetly "pulsing" like when you hit a patch of ice. ...and it always happens when I slow to 10 mph.

See my other post: Dash Lights
Could this be related?

How would I check the tone ring? The brakes have recently been redone (by the previous owner.) I haven't inspected them yet, but they work great. ...until I slow to 10 mph. ...frustrating....

·
Registered
529 Posts
The ABS module should be under the hood on near the front driver side wheel well. It should be red and marked ABS. I think you jump pins 1 & 5 maybe (been awhile) let me know if you still can't figure it out, and I'll check exactly which pins. As for jumping them anything will work (like a paper clip)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...bear with me. Are the pins open all the time, or will I need to disconnect one of the plugs. ...or "uncover" them somehow. I don't have the Bronco with me at work today, but from what I remember.... I know where the module is, but I didn't see any apparent plugs to jump the pins on. I think my Haynes manual describes which pins to jump, but it doesn't describe which plug. ....and I don't really want to start unplugging things on the ABS system haphazardly. Am I being too cautious?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts