Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done putting new brakes and rotors on my 96 and when i went for a test drive everything felt great except right before I stopped the pedal felt like it let loose a bit and it would pull to the right a hair. once i pulled the ABS fuse it brakes fine. i have never had problems doing brake jobs before but this was the first time I have done it to a vehicle with 4wd or ABS, when doing the first wheel I cleaned all the metal shavings of the sensor on the second wheel time was getting tight and i forgot. I guess my question is could it be just a matter of cleaning the other sensor or could i have put the tone rings back on wrong? they seemed to fit on right but i have never messed with them. I'm going on a road trip this weekend and I am assuming it will be ok without ABS for a trip since allot of people disable it anyways but I would rather fix it right.
thanks Jason

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just did the same job, and I did clean the rings on both sides. When I fired it up the first time and test drove it, the ABS freaked out on hard stops. I turned off the engine, and then drove it again, still same problem. Third time it quit, but the ABS light was on. Fourth stop and re-start, and the ABS light is gone and the problem seems resolved.

I hope that is the end of it.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It will be fine with the ABS disabled, I have had mine like that for three years almost now, and to tell you the truth I like it much better that way.

In any case, there is a test port and test procedure for the ABS system.....I think its outlined in the Haynes manual or search here. Is your ABS warning light on right now?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts