Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on removing the abs system from my 93 bronco, can i still use the same master cylinder and booster setup after removing the pump?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Why not fix the ABS and then make a ABS disconect switch for off pavement adventures? ABS has it place on the road and if it saves you from a accident then it pays its slef off rather quickly...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
1) The ABS isn't even active at all unless a wheel lock-up condition is sensed. So removing the fuse, ABS light, etc. should be the very limit of modification to the system. Even then, I don't advise it.

2) Fixing the system is a lot easier than it may seem. Pulling ABS codes and troubleshooting the system is very straight-forward, and it may save your rig from a wreck one day. My ABS didn't work when I first bought the rig, but it does now, and has saved me quite a few times. :brownbag

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'd price what it costs to just fix the ABS and price what it costs to get rid of it and go the cheaper route.

I'm lukewarm on ABS- the only car I've ever wrecked wrecked because the ABS (it was on ice and the ABS sensed lockup, released the brakes, and then wouldn't let me manually pump them) and the only times i've come close to bad stuff happening since has been on ABS equipped vehicles on gravel, ice, and once on pavement because i started pumping the brakes out of habit.

So i'd go the cheaper route and if the cheaper route happens to be fixing the ABS, I'd just leave the fuse out.

Justin

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
If you choose to eliminate the ABS, depending on what your pump is doing (whether you can just leave it in line there), my front ABS is gone (since going SAS), so no sensors, no tone rings, and the wiring for those sensors was disconnected at a little boot at each side of the fender, and then sealed and left there. My pump is still in, same MC and booster. ABS light was pulled from the dash, and I don't remember if I pulled a fuse or not...is ABS sharing a circuit with anything else?

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
If you choose to eliminate the ABS, depending on what your pump is doing (whether you can just leave it in line there), my front ABS is gone (since going SAS), so no sensors, no tone rings, and the wiring for those sensors was disconnected at a little boot at each side of the fender, and then sealed and left there. My pump is still in, same MC and booster. ABS light was pulled from the dash, and I don't remember if I pulled a fuse or not...is ABS sharing a circuit with anything else?
:stupid other than I upgraded my master cylinder to hydro-boost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts