Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, folks.

I've got a '96 Bronco XLT w/ the 351 V8. About a year and a half ago, I got a warning light re: ABS failure. A trip to the dealer revealed an error code of 63.

Neither the dealer nor my regular mechanic seemed too keen on doing anything about it, and so I learned to tap my brakes in the winter.

I recently came across another post describing the same problem, and a simple solution described hitting the pump with a hammer. Believe it or not, I tried this, and the ABS light went out. I was actually able to get onto some snow and intentionally lock up the brakes, at which time the ABS kicked in, and the brake pedal "pulsed". It only worked the one time, though.

Earlier today, I tapped the ABS module again, and was again able to get the ABS to work the single time. After that, the ABS light came on, and the brakes simply locked up on snow.

Any suggestions on what the problem is, and how I can correct it. It would appear that I do not need to replace the HCU, either clean or otherwise modify what's already installed.

I know the ABS in these big rigs is a common problem, and am hoping to get some ideas about a quick, easy, or inexpensive fix.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
abs motor, i dare you to price it at your dealer. i got one from a parts truck, but am not a big fan of abs. i pulled the bulb and maybe one day i'll swap out the motor

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Get rid of it. It is unnecessary if you don't drive like an idiot. I've never had ABS. My girlfriend's jeep has it and it pisses me off although I suppose it is nice that she gets a small insurance reduction for it.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
some states inspections require proper operation of the ABS system... something im gonna have to battle once i get my truck up here... that being said i dont know how to help you, besides saying search for it, theres gotta be some info that atleast helps you the slightest bit.

im perfectly happy with mine not working for the time being. until i have to get it inspected...

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
some states inspections require proper operation of the ABS system... something im gonna have to battle once i get my truck up here... that being said i dont know how to help you, besides saying search for it, theres gotta be some info that atleast helps you the slightest bit.

im perfectly happy with mine not working for the time being. until i have to get it inspected...

like i said... abs motor, i'm guessing the dealer said $1400 for the part? is it worth it? junkie or parts truck would be the best place to find it. something about the location and water kills them

·
Registered
25 Posts
try here
www car-part com

Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Ford Bronco 2UT,4-94,5.0 H03009 $200 Ajax Auto Parts USA-CA(Coachella) E-mail 1-800-606-6043 1887
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Ford Bronco WHITE,TAN C04005 $200 Ajax Auto Parts USA-CA(Coachella) E-mail 1-800-606-6043 1887
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Ford Bronco ABS, LEFT RAIL A 970878 $200 P and D Automotive USA-NC(Pelham) E-mail 1-800-292-3428 449
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Ford Bronco RED,5.8,4X4, A D0813 $200 Ole South Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-FL(Venus) Request_Quote 1-800-282-1134 Request_Insurance_Quote 1043
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Ford Bronco ABS PUMP AA794 $200 Light Truck Parts USA-OR(Portland) E-mail 1-800-452-8004 1960
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Ford Bronco ABS PUMP OK A Z696 $200 Light Truck Parts USA-OR(Portland) E-mail 1-800-452-8004 1960

·
Registered
54 Posts
Try ebay. Had similar problem few years back w/another truck. ABS module was dealer only part @ $1100. Bought 2 off ebay f/$100,both delivered, another $400 f/install.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Working abs is awesome on ice/snow. I sure miss it.

·
Super Moderator
26,315 Posts
yo,
Before buying the HCU, verify it is not other possible causes for code 63;

Damaged pump motor.
Terminal backout in anti-lock brake electronic control module harness connector Pins 17, 29, 37 and 38.
Open or shorted pump motor relay coil.
Open contacts in pump motor relay.
Terminal backout in pump motor 4-way, Pins 1, 2, 3 or 4.
Open Circuit 539 (PK/LB)

4WABS Self Test & Pin-Point Testing, Connector Pin-Out Diagrams & Wiring Diagram in 93-96 Bronco; This is same as in Ford EVTM/PCED/Workshop Manual; complete and all in one URL
Source: by AutoZone http://www.autozone.com/autozone/re...epairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0996b43f8038ec27

see Fig. 41: 4-wheel ABS testing

You can go through almost all steps; @ Step P9 you'll need a multimeter that can read frequency - or go to an automotive electrical repair shop and ask them to measure it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Working abs is awesome on ice/snow. I sure miss it.
^this^

I don't have it and don't miss it on my car, but I don't drive that in the snow. If you decide to get rid of the ABS, I'd get an adjustable proportioning valve to hook up to the rear line and adjust your brake bias. Basically it will help keep you from just having the rears lock, which would make the ass end try to come around, and redirects more pressure to the front where the weight is when you're stopping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts