Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Bronco it had the AC only blowing from the defrost issue. I tracked down one vacuum leak, fixed it and it would then come through the vents until I hit 35 - 45 mph and it would go back to defrost until I let off the throttle. With the help of research on here, today I finally got that fixed (another replacement hose) and now my AC stays on vent and is blowing moderately cold air. I would like to get it colder, and I expect it probably needs to be charged.

So, question number 1, will the recharge kit have instructions as far as what pressure should be? This will probably sound dumb, but where to I plug it in to add it? I'm assuming the nozzle next to the black canister on the passenger side of the engine? I was just going to get the little recharge kit from the zone. I am a total newb to this stuff.

Question 2, I still have no heat.. The temp selector does not seem to be doing anything. How can I check if it is working and if not, how can I confirm if I need to replace the heater core?

I have read a ton of threads but I am still left with these simple questions.

I looked for technical write ups and searched 20 different ways but am still struggling to find anything.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
First off, you need to verify what type of coolant you have in your lines. Chances are it's R12 and you'll have to take it to some place to get it recharged anyway. They haven't sold that stuff on the open market in a few years. The R134 stuff is not compatible. The heater core may possibly be plugged. You can try flushing your system and seeing what comes out of it. I'm sure others here will post with some advice on the core. The only option I can think of would be to remove it and check it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
get back in there and find the vacuum line that controls your heater mix... Unless it's a cable (not familiar with the '90) either way you've got a little valve on your heater core or the inlet tubing that opens and closes to allow coolant to flow through it. What controls that valve is more than likely unhooked.

I'd bet that's what is wrong with your heat. heater cores can get plugged up, but I kinda doubt that's what it is. usually when they go "bad" they leak.

The above fella is right about your AC... I lucked out and had the "new" stuff in mine, but if you've got the old stuff you have to have the old stuff put back in, or have it "converted". You can just do a really good flush of your AC refrigerant and then put the new stuff in it (they sell kits at autozone) but it won't work as well as having it properly converted.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I thought I put it in my post, my system was already converted to r134. Compressor, lines and all.

·
Registered
710 Posts
score on that one then!!!:thumbup

I put refrigerant stop leak in mine last spring (it's also got UV dye in it to show leaks) and it is still working like new 18 months later. The ONLY time any "stop leak" has ever worked in anything I've put it in. When you buy the recharge kit it will have instructions and a little pressure gun to put it in with. Pretty straight forward when you actually see the kit and instructions.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i know it says not to mix the r12 and r134 but ive done it a few times. my 89 camaro is still working good and havent had a problem. probly not the best thing to do tho.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
There was some threads I'd read some time ago that dealt mainly with the Ford Compressors and conversions. It was called the Black Death and had to do with the old oils and such that won't get completely flushed out with a conversion and the newer stuff mixing and creating a black tarry goo that destroys the compressor. I don't remember if they were on here or some place else. Google it and see what you can find. I thought it well worth reading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts