Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I JUST got home tonight from running around up town and went to turn into my driveway, when the truck stalled at them same time and I ended up in the front yard.
Every time I started the bronco up, she would squeel like hell and die after a few seconds. Almost felt like something was siezing up and not wanting to turn.
Thought maybe the power steering pump was the problem, but the fluid level was right where it's supposed to be.
I called my dad, and he asked if I had the defrost on, I said yes. He told me to switch it over to vent and try starting her. BINGO, she started right up! So I backed her up and parked her where she belongs....than just to make sure I switched it over to defrost and she seized up and died......
The ac compresspor clutch took a dump. grrrrr
And I'm NOT getting a new ac compressor as they are WAY to spendy for my blood.....just need to be careful not to switch it over to defrost. :thumbup
I think dad said for their cherokee, a used one was $350 and a new one was over $600!!! :shocked

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
keep an eye on ebaymotors... there's almost always an a/c compressor clutch up for auction there

you don't need a whole new compressor

and that's what your dad gets, for owning a jeep

·
Registered
98 Posts
Theres a chance that its not the compressor clutch at all. The compressor itself might of locked up causeing the clutch to slip. Could also be a blockage in the system. Your best bet would be to take it to a shop and have them hook the gauges on it and do a diag. My shop charges 25 bucks for this but, some places will do it for free.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, dad is trying his hardest to get me to go to the heep darkside. lol
Well the fact that I haven't used the ac in like 4 years, doesnt help matters. LOL. I'm sure all the freon was dissapeared. ;) So with the help of my friend we were going to convert it over to oba. :thumbup , Maybe not now. :cry
We'll see. :D

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Had teh same thing happen to me.:(

But someone earlier recommened to me, and it worked, to unplug the harness going into the compressor, and tie it back out of the way. This way you can still use your defrost until you get the whole thing fixed. Mine has been like this for almost a year and works fine.:thumbup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts