Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just had my entire ac system replaced by a shop minus the evaporator and even charged with r12. This was in july last year. This morning it was about 34 and my windshield was iced up so i started ut up and ran the defroster. I went back out and the ice was gone but it was fogged up. I noticed the ac clutch wasn't engaging no matter what setting. By the time i got to work (20 min later) it cycled but it did come on. My question is does it have to be a certain temperature for the ac clutch to engage or is something else going on?

·
Super Moderator
26,048 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Its possible that if the temp was low enough the freon would ice up and prevent the compressor from cycling. By the time you got to work, the under hood temp was warm enough that it would keep the freon from freezing up and allowing the compressor to cycle properly. (This is the simplified version of what is happening)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I can't tell if you want to figure out if your defroster is working correctly or you want to trouble shoot your AC. I assume your new ac system worked fine from July to present, so turning your AC system on after running your defroster might have added moisture back into the cab which fogged the windows.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can't tell if you want to figure out if your defroster is working correctly or you want to trouble shoot your AC. I assume your new ac system worked fine from July to present, so turning your AC system on after running your defroster might have added moisture back into the cab which fogged the windows.
AC doesn't add moisture into the cab, it removes moisture. You ever notice a puddle of water under your truck in the summer after the AC was running? That water is all the moisture that WAS in the cab that the AC removed. Most vehicles, probably including Broncos (not positive though) turn the AC compressor on whenever defrost is selected. They do this because the defroster works much better with the AC on because it removes moisture. The OP is wondering why the compressor isn't turning on when defrost is on like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was asking if its possible that if the ambient temp was low enough that the ac wouldn't come on but it seems mike answered it for me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks for the education. So, given my Ac compressor is shot then that explains why my defroster isn't working as well as I recall it working?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the education. So, given my Ac compressor is shot then that explains why my defroster isn't working as well as I recall it working?
Yeah. Trucks without ac have defrosters. Somw trucks only have defrosters. The ac only adds to the defrosting by dehumidifing the air so the windows don't fog. My ac works fine it was just a pain in the a$$ not having the dehumidifier feature. Must have something to do with the cold :shrug

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Ok i just had my entire ac system replaced by a shop minus the evaporator and even charged with r12. This was in july last year. This morning it was about 34 and my windshield was iced up so i started ut up and ran the defroster. I went back out and the ice was gone but it was fogged up. I noticed the ac clutch wasn't engaging no matter what setting. By the time i got to work (20 min later) it cycled but it did come on. My question is does it have to be a certain temperature for the ac clutch to engage or is something else going on?
What I want to know is where you found a shop that was willing to service and refill an R12 system.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What I want to know is where you found a shop that was willing to service and refill an R12 system.
They are still out there, just be prepared to spend $$$ as the Freon alone is pricy. Most shops prefer to convert in order to keep the cost down for the customer.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They had a little bit and suggested using it so the air would blow colder. Well i cant say i noticed a difference except for the extra $200. Live and learn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts