Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. I was not able to find a write up on what is involved in removing the AC condenser. I am assuming that I need to do the following:
1. remove fan shroud/fan/radiator
2. remove condenser from the inside of the engine bay?

Is this correct? While I am doing the removal I will take some pictures and create a write up for it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so the condenser is removed from the front of the truck and not through the engine bay? If that is the case then I am happy as hell.

system is evacuated so if that is all I have to do then i sounds pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
the proper way to do it is to recover all of the refrigerant in the system before replacing any components.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so if there is a crack in the condenser and all the r-134a has leaked out, then how should i proceed? Should I use some AC flush to clear the lines? How do I get the old oil out? etc?

·
Registered
23 Posts
last time I did a condenser was on a '91 Ranger... came out through engine bay... didn't pull grill. Once radiator was out, access was easy. Did run into problems tho. Once radiator was out, discovered that a special puller was needed to remove the fittings that connect to the condenser.

Being the hack that I was, I cut the lines with a hacksaw (it was getting dark) just so I could get the new condenser in the truck back together & running. System had been evacuated and was not pressurized, so no environmental hazard. Plugged the lines with golf tees ASAP (to keep moisture out) & took it back to the A/C guy the next day to connect the fittings, evacuate, and charge with refrigerant and dye.

Conversion to 134a: had many problems initially, but worked great once it was all done (as long as you were moving). Cooling capability was very limited when sitting at stoplights. But... didn't take much to cool that dinky little cab, so all was good. Can't expect perfection, when the whole system wasn't designed for 134a to begin with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts