Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your help.....Yes, I have searched, but apparrently my search skills are shall we say, lacking!:doh0715:

I am thinking of removing my air conditioner, (1) I rarely use it and (2) it rarely works....I would like not to have to get a JBG block off plate/pulley, am not sure now about how the serp belt will drive with the tensioner if no "loop" for where the ac pulley was

....I "know I will have to have the refrigerant professionally drained", but perhaps I may risk the TreeHugger God's wrath with a simmple wrench...

I know that I can remove the two pressure lines from the compressor, but my question is what else will I have to remove or replace...I have heard that if one removes the compressor, the defrost may not work...I am not sure I want to or even am capable of replacing the entire stuff with a non ac unit from the bone yard....would like to have more room under the hood, less crap to go wrong....

any suggestions.....:drinkbud
 

·
Who needs oil anyways....
Joined
·
1,739 Posts
Hmmm, now if the A/C is not charged, would the defrost work anyways? How's it going to dry the air if there is no way to cool it? You might be able to find the delete pulley and then can just remove it all. I've seen some at the yard before on EFI engines. Currently I have an unblocked off compressor on my engine. Oh, and my defrost sucks ass! Getting ready to acquire the components to replace my old system and charge it for R134a.
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,026 Posts
Aikidoka said:
Hmmm, now if the A/C is not charged, would the defrost work anyways? How's it going to dry the air if there is no way to cool it? You might be able to find the delete pulley and then can just remove it all. I've seen some at the yard before on EFI engines. Currently I have an unblocked off compressor on my engine. Oh, and my defrost sucks ass! Getting ready to acquire the components to replace my old system and charge it for R134a.
That's right. If it is lacking charge it's not going to be doing much on defrost anyway (as far as getting moisture from the air). The defrost setting will still work, it just won't be as effective, as it will just blow hot air up top to the windows (if humid, this will be hot/moist air). I use a gel in winter on the windows that is very effective and keeping them clear. I was worried about no defrost, but with this it's not an issue so far.

If I were you I would get the dummy pulley for simplicity. Any reason you don't want one?
 

·
Who needs oil anyways....
Joined
·
1,739 Posts
Shadofax said:
I use a gel in winter on the windows that is very effective and keeping them clear. I was worried about no defrost, but with this it's not an issue so far.
I have big problems with fog in summer rains. Does the gel help out in that situation also? What is the product called?
 

·
I have a Straight Six
Joined
·
3,443 Posts
Wow... I never new the AC compressor affected defrost, lol.

I also have fog problems in the hot and humid summer storms.

Aaron
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,026 Posts
Aikidoka said:
I have big problems with fog in summer rains. Does the gel help out in that situation also? What is the product called?
It's a gel by Glass Science called Fog Clear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
what about turning the a/c into an onboard air system? BTW are you coming down this weekend to go ridin?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BroncoRichie said:
BTW are you coming down this weekend to go ridin?

Yeah, I am...leaving here about 5 am, will be at th racetrack by 8...my cell is 601.942.5425.....see ya there
 

·
Ex Navy Nuke
Joined
·
5,421 Posts
They make an a/c bypass pulley for the V-8s. I have one on my 90, I think it cost about $25-$30 from AZ or Advance. Just remove the hoses from the receiver and the condenser(after reclaiming refrigerant), remove the serp belt, unbolt the a/c compresser and lift the compresser out with all the hoses. Put the bypass pulley on and put the belt back on and you're done.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top