Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this possible? you people that put xmas lights on your rigs, how do you power them? i know an inverter would be the obvious answer but is there any other way you could run AC house lights on DC current?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Light bulbs do not care what the frequency of the power is, only voltage. House power is 110 volts 60 Hz, Bronco power in 12 volts 0 Hz. There if you plug a house lamp into the Bronco it will light only very dim. If you plug a Bronco lamp into the house well......... byby bronco light. O, the "Hz" is the frequency.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
What kind of light bulb are you looking to power? I have a 12V trouble light that will only work well with 12V bulbs, it takes what looks like a normal light bulb but will only work well with a 12V source.

You could check with a RV shop.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
BroncoRex said:
Light bulbs do not care what the frequency of the power is, only voltage. House power is 110 volts 60 Hz, Bronco power in 12 volts 0 Hz. There if you plug a house lamp into the Bronco it will light only very dim. If you plug a Bronco lamp into the house well......... byby bronco light. O, the "Hz" is the frequency.
Correct. Light bulbs will run on both AC and DC, doesn't matter. Problem is that the 120v AC bulbs won't light up very well, if much at all with 12 volts.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so is an inverter pretty much my only option if i want to run xmas lights on my rig?

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
There are such things as DC light bulbs. Running an AC lightbulb on a DC circuit, while it will work, it will burn out much faster because the filament isn't designed for the electrons to only flow one way.

For the most part, they'll last plenty long for the average user, but I know that I've seen DC christmas light strings before... Maybe at west marine or something.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
F*ck Andy you never cease to amaze me. When I first read this post I thought what a farcking moron, then the mentioning of rock lights.......If you get the white ones that just may work. If not you could always put them on a timed relay so they blink on and off while your rolling in da hood homz. That will get all the bitches.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Put a generator in the back.........

........but watch out because the cops don't like it. They claim its illegal

1 - 20 of 24 Posts