Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Bronco XLT 5.0
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 1995 Bronco XLt. 105,000 MILES.

Transmission has been rebuilt, new driveshaft, new fuel pump,......

Lots of goodies, but the truck on the highway seems to be sluggish.

When I pull off of an exit I have to floor it to get it up to 55-60mph and it does not appear to ever want to go 65mph or faster.

My question is.... is this normal? Or do I potentially have an issue?

Thanks for the help.

-Baker

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,367 Posts
What engine?
Tire size? Gears?

What are you used to driving?

Acceleration in these things is not very great. 0-60 should be about 10 seconds. My 94, with 150k in 2007 would still max out the speedometer

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
my 86 will still get up to about 90-95 (don't recommend).

There is something going on. gearings, engine, hard to say.

what engine/trans/tires/gears would help.

Is it redlining at around 65?

also, if it is an automatic, do a manual shifting starting from 1st, and verify each shift change.

·
Super Moderator
29,132 Posts
Yo Baker,
Welcome!
Assuming you have the E4OD AutomaticTransmission;

OD Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is a LED with an overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Is it flashing while driving?
Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader

No codes;

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

1995 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1995 Ford Bronco

1995 Bronco Drivetrain, Powertrain Service Manual - Google Drive
&
1995 Bronco Chassis, Service Manual - Google Drive
To switch between folder list & grid views, click the button to the right of the "DOWNLOAD ALL" button in the upper right corner of the window) by HawkDriver

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 non-padded posts required to participate, due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search and more tips!

➡See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)
... Includes such as, How do I fix my back window?

Take time to participate in our Full-Size of the Month and CURRENT Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes. They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!
Al

·
Registered
1995 Bronco XLT 5.0
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Truck is 5.0l V8,
3" lift with 33" NIttos
Transmission was rebuilt prior to my owning but she shifts smooth

My other car is a Scat Pack charger which is a beast, but I have had a few trucks (Tahoe, Ram) and never seen a SLUG like this

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
that will lead to some doginess, especially if it is a stock motor. but it should not be as bad as you are describing.

any codes? does it run smooth? again, run it starting in first and manually shift up through the gears, make sure you get 4 shift changes. What RPM is it at at 65MPH? should be around 2200 or so unless you are into the gas all the way, in which case it should kick it back down to 3rd.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,298 Posts
Like stated above, check timing, set it at 10-12 degrees. Check spark plugs, filters, etc.... all the basic tune up stuff.

But a 5.0 on 33’s with 3.54 gears isn’t gonna be fast..... My 5.0 f150, back when it was an auto with the original motor, had a hard time getting to the top of the speedo(85) with 33’s and 4.10’s.....

·
Registered
1991 351w/E4OD/3" lift/4.56/33" tires/LSD FR+RR
497 Posts
Over time I've taken the measures below to give my '91 351 more power. All of which gave me significant power gains:

• Advanced 12 degrees (make sure plugs and cap are newish and all firing)
  • Replaced clogged catalytic converter (this made a huge difference)
  • The gas peddle was actually bottoming out on the floor mat.. which didn't allow wide open throttle. Throttle cable is too long. I wonder how many owners are having this issue and don't even know it.
  • 4.56 gears with my 33" tires. While 3.55 with 33" and 302 is not a good combination for power, you should be able to get up to highway speeds fine. 4.10 or 4.56 gears would definitely make a difference but only done last on the list when all other power robbing items have been addressed.

·
Registered
1995 Bronco XLT 5.0
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Over time I've taken the measures below to give my '91 351 more power. All of which gave me significant power gains:

• Advanced 12 degrees (make sure plugs and cap are newish and all firing)
  • Replaced clogged catalytic converter (this made a huge difference)
  • The gas peddle was actually bottoming out on the floor mat.. which didn't allow wide open throttle. Throttle cable is too long. I wonder how many owners are having this issue and don't even know it.
  • 4.56 gears with my 33" tires. While 3.55 with 33" and 302 is not a good combination for power, you should be able to get up to highway speeds fine. 4.10 or 4.56 gears would definitely make a difference but only done last on the list when all other power robbing items have been addressed.
How did you fix the throttle cable? I noticed forst drive that i was bottoming out on the floor.

·
Super Moderator
29,132 Posts
Yo,

Section 10-02: Accelerator Pedal and Linkage
1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual​
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
Pinpoint Tests
NOTE: Accelerator cable should not be lubricated and is not serviceable.

PINPOINT TEST A: ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND CABLE CHECK
A1 CHECK FOR PEDAL RESTRICTION
  • Disconnect the cable end from the throttle body.
  • Make sure the disconnected end of the cable does not come in contact with any of the surrounding parts.
  • Operate the pedal by hand.
Is the full pedal travel to WOT restricted?
YesNo
ADJUST insulator or trim items as required.GO to pinpoint test step A2.
A2 CHECK FOR SMOOTH PEDAL MOVEMENT
  • NOTE: Accelerator cable should not be lubricated and is not serviceable.

• Cable end should remain disconnected.
  • Operate the pedal by foot.
Is the pedal operation smooth?
YesNo
REFER to the throttle body diagnosis procedures in the appropriate section in the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual OBDI or OBDII.CHECK the foot pedal assembly for free operation or CHECK for worn or damaged cable. GO to pinpoint test step B1.
PINPOINT TEST B: CABLE WEAR OR DAMAGE DIAGNOSIS
B1 CHECK CABLE BINDING IN HOUSING
  • Disconnect the cable end from ball stud at throttle body.
  • Make sure the disconnected end of the cable does not come in contact with any of the surrounding parts.
  • From inside the vehicle, pull the wire through its entire travel.
Does it feel rough, sticky or restricted?
YesNo
REPLACE as required. USE appropriate part with base No. 9A758.Cable is functioning properly. REFER to the throttle body diagnosis procedures in the appropriate section in the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual OBDI or OBDII or ADJUST carpet as required. GO to B2.
B2 CHECK CABLE RETURN
  • Let go of the wire after pulling on it.
Does the wire stick or hesitate to return to its original position?
YesNo
REPLACE as required. USE appropriate part with base No. 9A758.Cable is functioning properly. REFER to the throttle body diagnosis procedures in the appropriate section in the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual OBDI or OBDII or ADJUST carpet as required. GO to B3.
B3 CHECK RETURN SPRING
  • Compress the spring at the throttle body end of the cable.
  • Observe the cable as it returns to the original position.
Does the spring stick or fail to return to the original position at a rapid rate?
YesNo
REPLACE as required. USE appropriate part with base No. 9A758.Cable is functioning properly. REFER to the throttle body diagnosis procedures in the appropriate section in the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual OBDI or OBDII or ADJUST carpet as required.

·
Registered
1991 351w/E4OD/3" lift/4.56/33" tires/LSD FR+RR
497 Posts
How did you fix the throttle cable? I noticed forst drive that i was bottoming out on the floor.
For some reason the correct length of throttle cable is very hard to find online. Probably why a lot of BKO's are having this issue. All of the aftermarket cables are too long. After exhaustive research For my '91 I found this one but this Ford parts website says it does not fit my vehicle do I didn't get it. Maybe someone here will be able to verify this. 1992-1996 Ford Throttle Cable F4TZ-9A758-L | Village Ford.. I finally gave up searching and just used a steel cable clamp to set where the peddle stops.... Removing the floor mat also helped.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Did you program the PSOM when you installed the 33" tires? Check if you have the correct setting of the PSOM if the tires came with the truck.

Reactions: sackman9975

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,473 Posts
Did you program the PSOM when you installed the 33" tires? Check if you have the correct setting of the PSOM if the tires came with the truck.
This right here will for sure change the tune of the truck. It's a free mod and you SHOULD do it since you have 33's on it. Your transmission will thank you for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts