Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy guys,

I a few guys I know were talking about trying out adding acetone to there gas for better MPG. I have heard about this along time ago when I was a kid hunting up in northern Michigan.

Has anyone hear tried this or know some one that has (not some friend of a friend story).

I did some searches and a few other people say they have added boric acid to help suspend the acetone with the gas.

what do you fellas think?

Also I already know some people believe that acetone eat away at plastic, but most additives have a 15% level of acetone adding only 2oz to 10 gallons come to a .2% level.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
omg, you will blow your car up.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Acetone is a backwoods way to increase octane. I would not recommend it. It might damage certain plastic parts of your fuel system such as injectors and fuel pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
don't do it I Tried it about three years ago when Gas prices took the Big leap and it was a Mistake I Had more problems than I Bargined for Leaky Fuel system and such

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,200 Posts
Never used acetone before but I have use mineral spirits before. I had it in the truck when I ran out of gas in my old 86 about 15 years ago. The gas station was only a block away. Because my gauge was broke and I wasn't pushing the big rig, so I said its worth a shot....lol the engine was idling at 2500 rpm's. Needless to say it got me there. Then the crank broke in that motor about a year later. Don't know if this had an affect on it. I poured a good portion of the gallon that I had into the tank. I wouldn't recommend doing this though. :twak I was young and dumb.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i tried it on the old motor- didnt like it much

tried it on my pos altima and it worked, more power and better gas mileage.however i only did it 3 or four times,adding 2 oz to 10 gallons, never more than that...

now metal shavings in the gas, thats the key to pure horse power....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dumb question, but is acetone the same thing as rubbing alchohol? I had heard the same thing about pouring rubbing alchohol in with a tank of gas for a "super" fuel additive to clean out your injectors and stuff. Is that just the same thing as acetone? Same results?

·
Billdo
2,191 Posts
Dumb question, but is acetone the same thing as rubbing alchohol? I had heard the same thing about pouring rubbing alchohol in with a tank of gas for a "super" fuel additive to clean out your injectors and stuff. Is that just the same thing as acetone? Same results?
no

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
HEy guys,

I a few guys I know were talking about trying out adding acetone to there gas for better MPG. I have heard about this along time ago when I was a kid hunting up in northern Michigan.

Has anyone hear tried this or know some one that has (not some friend of a friend story).

I did some searches and a few other people say they have added boric acid to help suspend the acetone with the gas.

what do you fellas think?

Also I already know some people believe that acetone eat away at plastic, but most additives have a 15% level of acetone adding only 2oz to 10 gallons come to a .2% level.
First and foremost, you must realize gasoline is not a pure substance. Quite the contrary, gasoline is a mixture of hydrocarbons with properties approaching that of pure iso-octane. Acetone, to a small extent, is already present in gasoline. Adding more acetone might help with octane rating, but will probably negatively impact economy. Acetone has less energy per unit mass than gasoline.

Acetone is an aggressive solvent. It can and probably will damage paints and plastics. Be careful if you consider adding acetone to your tank, it probably will not do your plastics any good.

If you are looking for a higher octane fuel, some people consider Xylene added to super unleaded to be the "cat's meow". If I remember correctly, they typically mix it at 20% Xylene, 80% super unleaded. I cannot personally recommend this to anyone, but I understand this works very well on turbo vehicles.

If you are looking for better fuel economy....than a Bronco is probably not a wise choice. Get the Prius and give up on 4x4

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
First and foremost, you must realize gasoline is not a pure substance. Quite the contrary, gasoline is a mixture of hydrocarbons with properties approaching that of pure iso-octane. Acetone, to a small extent, is already present in gasoline. Adding more acetone might help with octane rating, but will probably negatively impact economy. Acetone has less energy per unit mass than gasoline.

Acetone is an aggressive solvent. It can and probably will damage paints and plastics. Be careful if you consider adding acetone to your tank, it probably will not do your plastics any good.

If you are looking for a higher octane fuel, some people consider Xylene added to super unleaded to be the "cat's meow". If I remember correctly, they typically mix it at 20% Xylene, 80% super unleaded. I cannot personally recommend this to anyone, but I understand this works very well on turbo vehicles.

If you are looking for better fuel economy....than a Bronco is probably not a wise choice. Get the Prius and give up on 4x4

I dunno-xylene is a pretty nasty solvent and is not something I would mess with.

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
Acetone and Xylene additives are a way to increase the Octane in the fuel you are running.

There are some informative articles on it on TCCoA.com as I am sure there are on other High performance threads.

Most vehicles are designed and built to run on 87 octane regular gas.
Unless you have a high compression motor and/or ping with 87 Octane increasing the octane rating will net you nothing in regards to horsepower or gas mileage.

Myth no. 1 Increasing the Octane will increase performance.

Myth no. 2 Increasing the Octane will increase your gas mileage.

Before you do this you might want to read some good information on this as you are likely to do more harm than good and cost yourself money in the process.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
If your playing with acetone remember this is the same stuff women use to remove nail polish. (Keep it away from paint)

I thought there was an episode of Mythbusters based upon increasing gas mileage and this was one of the Myths they tested?? Anybody know or remember the outcome?

·
Registered
777 Posts
If your playing with acetone remember this is the same stuff women use to remove nail polish. (Keep it away from paint)

I thought there was an episode of Mythbusters based upon increasing gas mileage and this was one of the Myths they tested?? Anybody know or remember the outcome?
yeah, either they decreased mileage or the difference was not noticible. at least the way they tested.

Increasing the octane of the fuel you are burning does very little if the engine isn't built to take advantage of the extra octane by increasing compression ratio and ignition timing. modern fuel injected cars can increase timing some on their own if you are diligent in keeping the octane up.

But I wonder if the mileage increase isn't eaten up by the expense of the acetone?

Everything I've read on the subject had enough vague statements that I dismissed the entire document.

·
Registered
12 Posts
not to drag up old threads but i have been using this in my chevy for about two months now, i have an 05 ccsb w/5.3, on my range on the dash it has gone up about 50-60 miles on average, i did it for 6 or 7 tanks, then quit for 3 or 4 and it went back down. also tried not to change my driving habbits to save gas at the same time so my conclusion is its working for me. The theory is nothing to do with raising octane, but acetone is supposed to lower the surface tension of the gas and help it vaporize quicker in the intake and combustion chamber. I know everyone is going to say its B.S. maybe it is but just wanted to say its working for me with about 2mpg with no change in driving habbits.

·
Service before Self
134 Posts
I did it. I used it when I was supercharged alot. Mixed 2 ounces in with a full 30 gallon tank. It did stop detonation but didn't do much for MPG or HP increase. I never had any problems of injectors, fuel pump or pick up (plastic) being damaged but I used a very weak mixture of it....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I tired it once, but I think I may have added too much. It made my mileage worse. Supposedly if you put the correct amount in, it is not enough to damage the plastic. I'll have to try it again sometime.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts