Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"if its not one thing its another"

my 86 351w i have every thing all hooked up right,but under medium acl it starts poping in and out kinda like back fireing ,but non stop under acl.
but just takeing off easy its fine.

maby bad plugs or fule issue, or ????

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
All I see is (boob)(boob)(boob)... But really, If you have to question the tune-up then it needs a tune -up before you can see what is wrong. Could be a weak fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter if its carbureted.

·
Registered
331 Posts
is it back firing thru a carb? maybe you need a carb rebuild... if not check timing... I had a 1970 Pontiac Catalina that did the same thing but very minor at first.. then one day I thought I was being shot at, scared the ever lovin blank outta me, I was ducking down in my seat... turned out it needed new distributor cap and points... timing was slipping, all over the place, and gas was being swallowed and detonating in what used to be my brand new muffler... ever see an oval muffler go round? its not a pretty sight.. unless you like destruction...

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
But is it a true backfire or just kinda like one. The times ive had a fuel pump going out it was like a very weak backfire. When the fuel demands get high the engine gets fuel then starves then gets fuel...........

·
Registered
331 Posts
oh Im not saying your wrong, just throwin possibilities out there... maybe the carb is clogged and not misting, and fuel is pooling, or check timing... just some other things to check out while hes under the hood with wrenches in hand...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts