Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i tried to go wheeling today and on my way up the mountain the bronco acted like it ran out of gas. Tried to start it back up and nothing it had spark and plenty of pressure at the fuel rail tested by pressing down on the little pin. got a ride home and went back up there about an hour later and it started fine and i drove it home. Any ideas????

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Low on gas + steep angle?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Pressing the pin in the schraeder valve isn't the way to test fuel pressure. 15psi looks like a lot of gas coming out, but it's not nearly the 40psi you need to run your engine.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If it started up an hour later, it may be the ignition module and/or stator. It could still be any number of things, but that is where I am leaning toward. Also, you may have spark, but not enough, at the the right time. Further, the Ign Module could keep the injectors from opening up. For that matter, it could even be the coil. I just had to replace mine. It only acted up when it got a chance to heat soak. I verified the problem by dumping cold water on it, and then it ran fine. Sucked, because I was moving from AL to TN at the time and had my family in the van behind me. Fortunately, I was able to limp it in and get a coil.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Pressing the pin in the schraeder valve isn't the way to test fuel pressure. 15psi looks like a lot of gas coming out, but it's not nearly the 40psi you need to run your engine.
yep. and the symptoms are classic of a weak pump going bad. One thing that might help is if you have not changed the fuel filter in the last 12k miles you need to do this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok everything from the distributor to the coil is new, it was not a steep angle and i had almost half a tank of gas, i will replace the fuel filter today and we will see what happens

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Get a fuel pressure tester too... they're only like 29 bucks.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Another similar problem I have seen is the FP Relay going out like that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It is a $10 part. The later BKOs had the Bosdch relays, which are decent, but that's how they usually behave when bad.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm having the the same issue with my bko plus my dist. cap is bad. I cleaned the cap and rotor, it got better but still runs like crap. I checked the fuel pressure and it's 20psi at idle and 15psi when I hit the gas. Does anybody know were you can buy the fuel pump alone and not the whole sump kit?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I'm having the the same issue with my bko plus my dist. cap is bad. I cleaned the cap and rotor, it got better but still runs like crap. I checked the fuel pressure and it's 20psi at idle and 15psi when I hit the gas. Does anybody know were you can buy the fuel pump alone and not the whole sump kit?
You should be able to get the pump alone from Ford without the whole FDM. You sure it's the pump itself and not the FPR or a problem in the fuel lines?

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
uh all the auto parts stores sell just the pump with a strainer.

Now most don't sell the whole sending unit.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
I'm sure it's the pump. Need4racin you said it yourself "the pump with the strainer". I just want the pump and no strainer. Not to start anything but you can get just the pump for a Chevy
Well. The strainer is only like a $5 part just take it. All it is, is a fuel filter sock. You should have a new one with a new pump anyway.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts