Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Adding a 7 blade trailer tow package to a 96.

13612 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  huggyb1972
I don't know how many years back this will apply to.

Luckily by 96 Ford was lazy and they weren't going to install two wiring harness' for tow vs non tow. So the people paying for the tow package basically paid a $1000 for a $10 plug and 1 foot of wiring since the other stuff was there either way.
Some people say the trailer brake relays aren't installed or if they are there they aren't hooked up. Mine were not only there but hooked up from the factory. Probably older years at some point didn't have them.

There's a plug under the middle left of the dash that you can get a connector from any place that sells trailer brakes so you can plug in your brake controller.

In the back under the bumper are two round plugs going to nothing.
One of these round plugs can be used for the simple 4 pin trailer connector and you can buy a plug and play harness for this.
However this won't give you brakes for a big trailer that requires the 7-blade plug.
The only factory 7 blade plug is the one ford made and its $116

Buy and plug this in and you're done.
Or for like $15 you can buy a 7-blade plug from any trailer/hitch store and splice it in to Fords 2 round plugs.
As already mentioned the one ford plug is for left turn, right turn and trailer brake lights.
The other plug has 3 wires. The big blue one is for the trailer brakes that work in conjunction with the brake controller you put up front under the dash.
The big orange one is your 12v wire and the small black with green stripe is your reverse/aux lights.
Splice those 3 in to your 7-blade plug and you're good to go.
That's all I had to do.
As stated though as some point the ealier years didn't get the relays under the hood, so you're just going to have to look for 4 big relays next to the main fuse box under the hood. Of those 2 are related to the tow package.
If you don't have those relays then you're going to have to do more work to get the trailer brake tow package to work.
See less See more
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
reviving an old thread. anyone else have insight to this plug? i can't find it
moreover, does he mean the plug on the right or left?
Which plug are you looking for? Under the dash or behind the rear bumper? Also what year truck are you working on? The OP had a 96, & your info shows 82. I just installed the 7 prong plug & brake controller on my 90 & it is different than his 96 under the dash.
mine is an 82. it was XLT/lariat and i assume tow package.
i purchased a 7blade conn from a mbr here.
I am trying to hook up a brake controller. I am looking for the under dash connection point.
mine is an 82. it was XLT/lariat and i assume tow package.
i purchased a 7blade conn from a mbr here.
I am trying to hook up a brake controller. I am looking for the under dash connection point.
There won't be one in Broncos that old.
well hopefully there is.

that is what steve said about the wire loom not being there for power mirrors.

which one is it for "newer" BKOs? what does it look like?
Well crap i hope you find a way to hook it up.
i will, just trying to sort out what the brake controller, underdash plug looks like.

i have a few up there, but most are connected to something else and not "unused"
Around what year did Ford start using teh same harness for all applications? Just curious if I could scavange parts from other vehicles and plug into my 92 with some of the capped off wires under the dash accordingly.
I just got back from camping & it seems to have worked out. The under dash connector is actually coming thru the firewall under the carpet, sort of near the E brake on a 90. I have no idea on an 82, but I'll see if I can find the pic that I saw to locate mine.

Edit -Here it is on California Monkey's 91, at the bottom of this pic. My 90 looked very similar. It came thru the firewall there & ran up into the wiring above it, but wasn't connected to anything. From what I've been able to gather, some trucks had these in various years, usually part of a tow package even if the weren't connected to controllers.
well hopefully there is.

that is what steve said about the wire loom not being there for power mirrors.

which one is it for "newer" BKOs? what does it look like?
just buy some heavy wire and run new wiring from the controller to the trailer jack.. it's easy.
Just found out last night that my 94 I bought had the factory 7 pin plug. to bad it was smashed flat against the frame..

Probably be worth getting a new plug and splicing into the original wirings so I can keep the connectors.
To bad no one has the plug and play stuff now except for e bay. When I get around to my 89 I will just do the new wire route so there are no problems. Ihave all the connectors and most of the schematics just not the mating plugs
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.