Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My question is has anyone replaced the reservoir on the back of a saginaw pump to a nipple style so that I can run an additional remote reservoir for my ram assist setup.

The reason for the sudden question is that I just picked up a real York bracket (2nd hand BroncoAir bracket) to replace my home made job, My current homemade bracket raises the York way up and the nice one from BroncoAir is much lower, and will be right on top of the power steering cap.

I currently have what I consider a temporary ******* radiator hose extending the power steering neck in order to run more power steering fluid for my ram assist and would like to finalize my setup to get rid of the mess that tends to happen when iam off camber and I have Power steering fluid spilling out the top of the hose.

Has anyone done this? I already pulled a remote reservoir from a mini van, and i suspect I could pull a nipple reservoir off a saginaw from the junkyard to replace the one i have now.

A bit more info, I have the Cardone HD pump that uses the stock bracket, so not the van bracket type pump if that matters... suggestions? Is this a straight forward swap? any special tools needed?

I guess another solution would be to change out the cap if they have a nipple cap? maybe another suggestion from the bright engineers that litter this fine establishment?

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
Remember you will have to completely seal the old opening. If you add a remote reservoir and mount it up higher than the pump the head pressure will push the fluid out the factory opening.;)

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remember you will have to completely seal the old opening. If you add a remote reservoir and mount it up higher than the pump the head pressure will push the fluid out the factory opening.;)
but as long as its a sealed unit at the pump to the remote (and the remote not full) I should be good to go correct? thats why i wanted to swap a new rear reservoir on the saginaw and run a large line to the remote...

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
Correct as long as its sealed. I miss read the part about swapping the reservoir on the pump its self. Long day at work and having a couple..:toothless

IIRC your Bronco is an automatic correct?

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
I did this a few weeks ago. I'll send you part numbers. Housing and reservoir cost about $75 all in. DO NOT spend the $500 PSC wants for their stuff.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct as long as its sealed. I miss read the part about swapping the reservoir on the pump its self. Long day at work and having a couple..:toothless

IIRC your Bronco is an automatic correct?
Correct it is.

I did this a few weeks ago. I'll send you part numbers. Housing and reservoir cost about $75 all in. DO NOT spend the $500 PSC wants for their stuff.
Thanks! that would be great I have a remote reservoir from the JY, probably holds a quart.

Wasnt' planning on going PSC remote as well its not really needed.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was Bossind who did that. Should have a write up some where in tech threads.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Yes, I did exactly what you are asking about, and for the same reason. The Broncoair is clearly the best York bracket out there, but it does block the power steering filler neck. I got a remote reservoir off of a Chevy van, and the sag pump that was on that van as well. Unfortunately while that sag pump did have a nipple on the stock reservoir, it wasn't really in a usable place once mounted on the Bronco power steering bracket. I ended up cutting that nipple off, welding a patch over the hole, and welding the nipple back onto the reservoir with it pointed down and a little to the driver's side. It has been mounted up like that and running strong for about three years now. One word of warning though; don't use cheap heater hose to connect the pump reservoir to the remote reservoir! I slapped it together with some heater hose that I had laying around the shop just to test it out after I did the welding. Fast forward about a year later, that heater hose had been completely eaten out by the ATF, and it was really soft and had several huge bubbles. I replaced it with real transmission fluid rated hose and it has been fine ever since. It looks like I didn't take any pictures of the pump reservoir itself at the time, but I do have a couple showing the top of the remote reservoir, mounted next to the Square D pressure switch. I'm out of town tonight, but I can take some pics of it when I get home if you want to see it.

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
While that case works for the canned ham pumps, you'll have interference with your pump bracket. PSC offers a round case remote housing with a #10 (5/8) AN fitting.

https://www.polyperformance.com/sho...servoir-Can-JIC-Feed-O-Ring-Side-p-29314.html

It's cheapest through Poly Performance as far as I could tell. You save $2-3 on shipping over ordering straight from PSC. I mostly ordered from Poly because I was getting other stuff from them, but they end up shipping it straight from PSC.

Since you already have a junk yard remote reservoir, I won't bother going into detail on that.

Did you modify (drill to 1/4") your pressure valve or is it still stock? If it's modified you'll be flowing way too much fluid to get it dialed in right. I spent two weeks fighting with mine trying to get the system under control. Finally swapped back to an undrilled pressure valve and everything worked fine.

Then I discovered my motor was knocking. :beer

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Wow, nice find on that PSC pump reservoir. I never realized that was available. Of course you'd still have to plumb in the return fluid, but I suppose you could do that with a T. Mine is reusing the stock fluid return barb on the back of the can.

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
No, the return goes to the reservoir.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
While that case works for the canned ham pumps, you'll have interference with your pump bracket. PSC offers a round case remote housing with a #10 (5/8) AN fitting.

https://www.polyperformance.com/sho...servoir-Can-JIC-Feed-O-Ring-Side-p-29314.html

It's cheapest through Poly Performance as far as I could tell. You save $2-3 on shipping over ordering straight from PSC. I mostly ordered from Poly because I was getting other stuff from them, but they end up shipping it straight from PSC.

Since you already have a junk yard remote reservoir, I won't bother going into detail on that.

Did you modify (drill to 1/4") your pressure valve or is it still stock? If it's modified you'll be flowing way too much fluid to get it dialed in right. I spent two weeks fighting with mine trying to get the system under control. Finally swapped back to an undrilled pressure valve and everything worked fine.

Then I discovered my motor was knocking. :beer
I have not modified my pump, didn't' see a need to, I have no problems moving boulders or the bronco out of the way with one finger on the trail ;)

So a couple of questions...

this is the can for the back of the saginaw:

PSC-SR2545-12-A-400.jpeg
PSC-SR2545-10-A-400.jpeg

Obviously the high pressure line attaches to the AN threaded fitting, that goes to the power steering box. When this is mounted that can be angled down and away from the york bracket. Then the low pressure lines would be attached to the back of the saginaw, since there are just holes there would I just be using standard plumbing brass fittings or something similar? I would have one line preferably the top hole on the back going to the remote reservoir to eliminate as much air as possible being on top.. then the lower hole would be the return from my filter/cooler.. correct? This will be the first time i have really dived into the power steering pump so just making sure I order everything I need at once so its done right...

Ok well i found a pic with the fittings... I guess i can reuse the high pressure fitting from my old pump? or I could have a return line to the reservoir itself and then to the steering pump, the remote reservoir i picked up does have 2 inlet/outlets...

a little confused..

PSC-SP1405X-B-400.jpeg

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm a little late to the thread... which motor are you running? Reason I ask is I ended up putting a York on my 351w using a bracket from an Econoline. I'm also using a PSC pump with an adapter for the stock pump (and remote res and remote cooler), and the York and the ps pump are both on the driver side of the motor. Might not be useful info, but I wasn't sure. If you end up using the PSC can, try and have either enough hose to soak up the most extreme of engine movement or find a way to tie the remote res to the motor. I blew out the motor mounts and shortly after the pump was leaking at the bung - my res was hard mounted and didn't have enough hose to handle the motor's movement.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a little late to the thread... which motor are you running? Reason I ask is I ended up putting a York on my 351w using a bracket from an Econoline. I'm also using a PSC pump with an adapter for the stock pump (and remote res and remote cooler), and the York and the ps pump are both on the driver side of the motor. Might not be useful info, but I wasn't sure. If you end up using the PSC can, try and have either enough hose to soak up the most extreme of engine movement or find a way to tie the remote res to the motor. I blew out the motor mounts and shortly after the pump was leaking at the bung - my res was hard mounted and didn't have enough hose to handle the motor's movement.
I have a 302, my plan was to mount the receiver to the york bracket. I have new heavy duty motor mounts that I dont think will move much if at all, so not too worried about the engine movement. But yes i will be mounting the reservoir to the engine

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
AN fitting on top is your low pressure feed from reservoir. Big hole on back is where high pressure fitting threads in. Small holes on back are for bolts. Return from gearbox goes to reservoir.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the suggestions guys, went with the PSC can and replaced the can on the back of the saginaw, very easy and straight forward replacement. Took my time and re-routed all the power steering lines and temporarily mounted the remote reservoir on the brake booster until i can fab something a bit more permanent.

At first I had trouble bleeding the system, but loosened a few of the connections at the ram and steering box and it quickly bleed out and got it figured out.

Now I just need to get longer bolts for the OBA York bracket and rerun the air lines and ARB solenoids and I will be looking good under there!

I will get a couple of photos today of the setup since the york isn't in the way yet to post up in case others have the need to do the same.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
I ended up using a similar sag reservoir. I got mine out of the junkyard from an early 90's chevy van. I also used their reservoir which is the same type as the one Dave's Bronc 90 used. I could never get the one that dave used to get clean inside and ended up going back and getting a plastic box shaped reservoir from a later van of the same make. It was much cleaner and is also the largest I have found. I also tee'd my return lines together from my hydroboost and steering and routed them through the factory transmission cooler (going aftermarket for my trans). I plumbed my systems return side with Parker pushloc hose (doesnt need clamps) and made sure that in the tee fitting the steering box flowed straight through and that the hydroboost made the 90 degree turn. I figure that the steering box will be going through more fluid than the booster. My setup uses a single return into the sag pump and the remote reservoir is simply for extra capacity.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just to give some closure to this thread.. this is what i ended up doing.. don't mind the zip tie on the bracket as thats just temporary and i know my serp belt is missing a groove or two ;)

York bracket on, and everything plumbed up again... fits much better... just need a belt..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts