Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a complete external spare tire carrier. I have an 84 FSB with an internal mount and there are no visible holes for mounting the external carrier. Can someone tell me if the attachments are there and I just need to drill holes or what?
Surely there is a thread for this, but I'm not finding it.

Edit: I did find a thread. Looks like I will have to add some bracing. I may be able to cut it off of a donor bronco getting parted out and then sold for scrap.
I was hoping it came already installed, but it's never that easy on things I touch...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your truck did not come from the factory with the tire carrier, the supports are not inside and it is a HUGE pain to add them.

Better to get a bumper mounted tire carrier.

This thread has some more detailed info

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159736
Thank you! Yes that is the post I found earlier when I edited my first post saying I found a thread. I thought about modifying the carrier to mount on a bumper but only if I don't already have the support brackets installed from the factory. I'll be removing the tail light tonight to see.

I found the interior mount that came with my truck. It was taken off when new carpet was installed, and the PO never reinstalled it. I had forgotten that I had it. I don't want to give up the room for gear back there, so external is for me!
One thing I noticed is that the corners of my FSB have a squared off corner and the carrier has rounded corner brackets. Where they all rounded brackets or do I just have the wrong ones for my year model?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got a 94 that has the external carrier. I've got an 91 and a 96 that do not. The 91 and 96 both have the internal bracing. Inside the tailgate and behind the taillight, same as the 94 with the carrier. I know for a fact that the 96 has had no body work in that area. I don't think the 91 had either, but I can't swear to it...and I'm sure both tailgates are original.
I've heard both ways on this, and my examples make me wonder even more. I honestly think it's one of those "some did, some didn't" things.

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I repainted my 91. When I sanded that area I found circles of body filler and thought that someone had covered the holes where an external carrier had been. But when I took the taillight out and looked at the braces, there was no trace of putty in the nuts and no evidence of there ever being a bolt screwed into them. They still had paint on the threads. Also, looking closely into the holes, I could see something silver-ish at the bottom of the threads. (The putty was blue in color) So just for the heck of it, I took a taillight out of the 96 to see how it was made. It looked exactly the same. Braces in place but paint still in the threads and this same silver substance at the bottom. The 96 hasn't had any body work in that area so I'm completely convinced this is the way it left the factory. Rather than the thought of them installing the brackets in a panel but not drilling the holes, I think it is a case of a panel intended for a carrier having the holes filled and so it could be used on vehicle without the option...and apparently it happened more than once.
Plus...as I mentioned earlier...both tailgates have the extra support for behind the latch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts