Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to keep my current in dash gauges working while installing new mechanical gauges? I ask cause a friend took his heep to the emissions test and they had a fit cause his factory gauge didn't work. They wouldn't even test it :doh0715: I don't need that hassle. I'm planning on adding a oil pressure, water temp, volt meter, and tranny temp gauge. The only factory stuff I'm really worried about are the oil pressure and water temp...any thoughts??
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,299 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
if you can do wiring why dont you use electric guages. and with a little time and creativity you can replace the whole guage cluster and have it looking good. heres mine....

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn, that is sweet!!

Whats up there broncoheaven??? Haven't seen ya around in a while:drinkbud Yea, I seen a write up ya did on the A pillar...thats basically what I'm planning on doing. Went down to the boneyard and picked up another A pillar Sat. so I don't go messing up mine. I'm planning on adding 4 - 2 5/8th's gauges...I hope they all fit.

Sixlitre, thanx's for the pic's,....Guess I might go down to the stealership and pick up a new sending unit, and take that with me to HomeDepot so's I can make sure I get the right size fittings that'll be needed. Guess it'd be the same for the water temp too....(different sizes possibly but some principal).

Thanx's fella's.:rockon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Here's a shot of my oil preesure split. Can't get a good pic of the water temp. but same idea. Just for those who are wondering, I moved my oil pressure senderes up on top of the valve cover because I was having a problem with the junk stock senders going bad. Somehow the heat or something was making them go bad. Anyway it makes it easier to service.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
h8nlife said:
Is there anyway to keep my current in dash gauges working while installing new mechanical gauges? I ask cause a friend took his heep to the emissions test and they had a fit cause his factory gauge didn't work. They wouldn't even test it :doh0715: I don't need that hassle. I'm planning on adding a oil pressure, water temp, volt meter, and tranny temp gauge. The only factory stuff I'm really worried about are the oil pressure and water temp...any thoughts??
You know what......I think your friend is a bullsh!t artist!

There are PLENTY of cars on the road with only a gas gauge, and nothing else......do they fail also?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Streetgang said:
You know what......I think your friend is a bullsh!t artist!

There are PLENTY of cars on the road with only a gas gauge, and nothing else......do they fail also?

:doh0715: Dunno about all that....Don't know if your familiar with MD but we've got some screwed up laws here. If it's got to be emission tested here in MD, everything better be working..no check engine light on or nothing. I do know about that myself first hand.

But reguardless of whether it is or isn't
Streetgang said:
I want all my factory stuff in place and still functional
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
h8nlife said:
:doh0715: Dunno about all that....Don't know if your familiar with MD but we've got some screwed up laws here. If it's got to be emission tested here in MD, everything better be working..no check engine light on or nothing. I do know about that myself first hand.

But reguardless of whether it is or isn't I want all my factory stuff in place and still functional
I dont blame you for wanting you stock gauges to work, but the fact is that the stock oil pressure gauge is a load of crap......the water temp gauge is better but still not all that good.

I live in NJ and I am familiar with screwed up inspection laws, but I have NEVER heard that you must have working full instrumentation to pass inspection.
I know they are tough on emissions stuff......but gauges.....dont think so!

BTW I got over the "I want my stock gauges to look like they are working thing.....and now I use the Auto-Meter units I installed to keep a real eye on oil pressure, water temp, and trans temp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Streetgang said:
BTW I got over the "I want my stock gauges to look like they are working thing.....and now I use the Auto-Meter units I installed to keep a real eye on oil pressure, water temp, and trans temp.
I picked up all Fordmotorsport gauges....which are actually made by autometer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
h8nlife said:
I picked up all Fordmotorsport gauges....which are actually made by autometer
Wow those are sweet looking......look a lot like the Phantom series I put in my Bronco!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea, too bad that I picked up all 2 5/8" though. I doubt seriously that I will manage to get 4 of them in the A pillar :banghead Not with it looking good at least :cry
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,299 Posts
h8nlife said:
Yea, too bad that I picked up all 2 5/8" though. I doubt seriously that I will manage to get 4 of them in the A pillar :banghead Not with it looking good at least :cry
Can you even get one or two into the A-pillar pods !?!?!?!?

Sixlitre
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top