Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how many guys have dual OE horns in their Bronco, but I think I'm going to try it out.

When I was searching for parts in the local JY I found the factory wiring for a dual horn setup in a 70's F250. It's really not much and it could be made from scratch, but I thought it was neat so I took it home.

Basically you unplug the female connector that's already on the factory single horn, you plug it into this wiring harness, and then this harness has dual female connectors that allows you to hook up two horns. It also has 3 spots where it plugs into the radiator core support along the top to hold it all secure. I set it up on my 77 F150 as I was already messing around with that truck and I tried it out with the horn off my Bronco. They're the same frequency though, so it sounded funny. I have some pics of everything and then a video of me honking them. I had the second horn loosely hooked up and it fell off when I honked them, so you'll hear what dual and single horns sound like in that video.

Factory single horn.

Dual horn wiring harness.

Horn female connector unplugged.

Dual horn wiring harness spade plugged into single horn female connector and first dual horn female connector plugged into factory single horn.

Harness runs the length of the core support. I didn't plug it all in as I'm not installing it on this truck and was just testing it out. There are three holes along the length of the core support specifically for this harness. You'll probably find them on your own if you take a peek. :thumbup

Second horn has a factory mounting location right here. You'd have to add the clip that allows you to thread the bolt in in order to install a second factory horn. I'm holding it in place to show where it goes. The second female connector plugs into the horn here and then the horn grounds via the bolt that holds it to the core support.

Here's the video of them honking. You'll hear the second horn fall off from where I set it. It loses it's ground so that's why it stopped honking. You can hear the difference between a single and a dual with the same frequency. If I can tune a second horn to get a different sound or find another horn with a different frequency I'll be in business. The factory horns on the F250 this harness came off of were gone. I have no idea why they didn't take the wiring.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I added this to my 78 a while back. Works well. Although I just put a pair of PIA horns in a friends truck and holy hell those things are crazy loud. Much louder than the factory ford dual tone and cheap at $25 bucks for the pair. I may upgrade to those horns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I believe the lame factory bronco horn is a low note and adding a second low note just makes it sound more lane
I scrapped a 2002 f 150 a couple months ago and I stole the pair of horns off of it and mounted on bronco
now it actually sounds respectable

if you want the train sound, grab a set of 4 horns from a full size gm or caddy,mid 80-mid 90's
they had 4 notes, a c d and f I believe
I grabbed a few sets at local yard and installed them on my other bronco and motorhome

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found another truck in the JY today with the dual horn setup. This one actually had both horns. The standard horn is the "Lo" horn and the added horn in the dual setup is the "Hi" horn. I got the harness and the "Hi" horn since I already have a couple of "Lo" ones. I'll probably test it out tomorrow and see how much, if at all, different it sounds.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Just an FYI for those that don't know. The small phillips screw on the back of the horn in our Broncos,trucks and many others is how you adjust the horn tone. In makes it higher, out makes it lower. When I was young and foolish I put six horns on my 67 C20. When you honked the horn it sounded like a traffic jam and the lights went dim.:oops:
Swamp

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The small phillips screw on the back of the horn in our Broncos,trucks and many others is how you adjust the horn tone. In makes it higher, out makes it lower.

Yeah, that's what I was going to do with the two horns I had with the same tone. I figured I'd try the two different toned horns I have now though. I always find this stuff when I'm not looking for it. I was looking for very specific valve covers. lol

I guess since I have two of those harnesses and 4 horns I could daisy chain everything together very easily and make my own symphony like your old chevy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts