Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Snow Bunny
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

93 302, fuel gauge always reads around 1/8 of a tank high. It has been like that since I bought it 2 years ago, and supposedly the fuel pump was replaced just prior to that. It's not erratic, it's consistent, and I know to get gas soon once I hit a quarter tank on the gauge. But I would like to correct this so if someone else drives it, they don't run out.

I'd rather not drop the tank, or cut an access hole in the floor (did it on my 95, just don't want to.)

Is it possible to adjust the needle? Not sure if it can be popped off and put back on a little different.

If no, and I have to go into the tank, can I just bend the float arm?

If I have to spend money I won't do anything, but I thought maybe there would be a simple adjustment I could make, being it works, it's just not accurate.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've had the same issue on mine since I bought it. Read through Steve's album in this thread, should cover everything and more!

You may have to drop the tank and you might not. It could be a loose wire or connector somewhere.

If it were me I would replace the sender (float arm), if broken.

This is all in Steve's album if you want to check it out.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351249

·
Registered
87 Posts
You will be able to adjust the needle. Fill the tank up full, then carefully remove the gas needle (pointer) and place it where you want it. I have done this several times on a 93,94, and 2000 mustang while installing white guage kits in them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
By the way, on the bronco, you will probably be able to do this just by removing cluster lens. I would not remove the whole cluster. Just remove the three dash trim covers, two lower and the one around the Custer itself. The lense has about six to eight small screws that hold it on. Then gently pull the pointer off the guage and place it where you want.
My 2000 mustang always read way above full and would show the low fuel light before hitting the red zone. After putting the white guage cluster in, I realigned it to read correctly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You will be able to adjust the needle. Fill the tank up full, then carefully remove the gas needle (pointer) and place it where you want it. I have done this several times on a 93,94, and 2000 mustang while installing white guage kits in them.
Good to know. I guess I didn't do it right because I was unable to adjust it manually. Couldn't that be masking the problem if it's a bad sender (for example) though?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well the best solution to finding out if that is correct is to ohm test the sending unit. I am sure that the correct readings can be found for full, half, and empty. I know that they can be found for the mustang on the mustang sites. I would assume that someone on this site would also have that information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts