Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Bronco to the alignment shop to get it aligned after I installed the new Moog 820 front springs. They said I need to put some new alignment bushing in it, but didn't know what size I should buy? So should I buy 2.5% fixed ones or what?
Product Font Machine Advertising

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Moog makes some adjustable bushings, can’t recall the PN but I have some to install after my lift is finished.

I would have expected an alignment shop to be able to provide more help then you got. Good luck.

EDIT: K80108

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
18,059 Posts
Moog K80108 is the correct part number for the adjustable ones. They work well

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,558 Posts
Yeah, usually any alignment shop will just get a set from the local auto parts store for you, then add their little parts mark up, and take care of everything for you, but who knows, maybe all of the current the supply chain issues mean that they aren't in stock??

I dont think they'd ask an average customer off the street to supply them parts, so its a bit odd?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'll buy some and install them. Where should I set the adjustments at if the alignment looks like this now?
Product Font Machine Advertising

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
18,059 Posts
I guess I'll buy some and install them. Where should I set the adjustments at if the alignment looks like this now? View attachment 198448
The moog ones come with a sheet that tells you where to set it according to your alignment.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
1,558 Posts
Yeah, in my mind, this is a job for the alignment shop not the customer, but to put them in, at the specified angles according to where your camber/caster is verses where it needs to be, is something that if you do it, they will need to verified on the rack again, and if you weren't correct, then theyll need to pull it all apart & make the adjustments to the bushing again, & being a customer, not an alignment expert, I'd just let them do it.

Kinda like in Tommyboy where he says, "you can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Yeah, in my mind, this is a job for the alignment shop not the customer, but to put them in, at the specified angles according to where your camber/caster is verses where it needs to be, is something that if you do it, they will need to verified on the rack again, and if you weren't correct, then theyll need to pull it all apart & make the adjustments to the bushing again, & being a customer, not an alignment expert, I'd just let them do it.

Kinda like in Tommyboy where he says, "you can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."
Except they are usually covered in mud and rust and giant pita to replace. The shop would be glad to do it for you...at the cost of 2 upper ball joint replacements! Oh by the way you should replace them in pairs so 4 ball joints. Come out for some caster camber bushings installed at $2500 and they still would use the solid adjustment cams that do you no good and china ball joints that aren't moogs.

Steve83 has a write up on installing the moog adjustable caster camber bushings.
kingfish: 1996 Ford Bronco Adjustable Alignment Bushing Install pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
$2500!!! Ouch!
My uppers were still shiny and new, so I just put the new springs in & the adjustable Moog camber bushings.

Just for a heads up on what you'll be getting into, these are the charts for adjusting the lower bushings, so I did mine myself, after my springs were in and it was a best guess after lots of measuring, eyeballing, and I just put them in where I thought was right. Somehow when I took it in for an actual alignment, the caster/camber were in the green. Pure blind luck for sure!

Handwriting Font Material property Rectangle Paper

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah I don't understand that chart. Look at my alignment specs and let me where you think I should set my adjustable bushing it?
Gesture Font Machine Pattern Rectangle

Attachments

·
18,059 Posts
$2500!!! Ouch!
My uppers were still shiny and new, so I just put the new springs in & the adjustable Moog camber bushings.

Just for a heads up on what you'll be getting into, these are the charts for adjusting the lower bushings, so I did mine myself, after my springs were in and it was a best guess after lots of measuring, eyeballing, and I just put them in where I thought was right. Somehow when I took it in for an actual alignment, the caster/camber were in the green. Pure blind luck for sure!

View attachment 198494
I do my alignments too. If you have a shop do them, ALWAYS keep that chart with the vehicle. That way a competent shop can use it of need be.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
We would need to know what the caster & camber are supposed to be set at, and then we could set the bushings, but I don't know those numbers. See if you can find them, or if someone has them handy post them here. Try a search.

Unless this is showing what they need to be set at, which I'm not an alignment shop expert that knows these numbers, thats why I say your best bet is to keep calling around to local alignment shops until you find one that says "no problem sir, we can adjust & install the provided Moog adjustable camber bushings so your car is to spec" I installed mine, expecting they would need to oull them back out & re-adjust them, but they were in spec somehow.

·
18,059 Posts
We would need to know what the caster & camber are supposed to be set at, and then we could set the bushings, but I don't know those numbers. See if you can find them, or if someone has them handy post them here. Try a search.
The values are in each box, in the upper corners. At least the out of spec ones...

OP, judging by the alignment sheet, everything looks to be proper, like they fixed it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I see green only on tow in, but as far as caster/camber goes, they aren't in the green. I remember mine all being in the green. What in not sure of, is what the green is for caster/camber. So if you're trying to get them to 0, and that's where the machine says it's just the right spot to factory settings, or if you want a certian degree for proper steering return and so on.

If you're trying to get to 0° for caster/camber my thoughts are here, but I can't say it's right, cuz I'm not an alignment expert, and these are as close as these bushings & charts are gonna get you, unless I'm reading things wrong, which is why I like a shop to do this stuff, cuz I'm way out of my lane. I don mind screwing up my own stuff learning, but I don't want to lead someone down the wrong path either.
Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 313K miles
1,719 Posts
Here are the Bronco Alignment specs below. Read the 2 top left paragraphs first.... Hope this helps!

Font Material property Parallel Pattern Rectangle

·
18,059 Posts
I see green only on tow in, but as far as caster/camber goes, they aren't in the green. I remember mine all being in the green. What in not sure of, is what the green is for caster/camber. So if you're trying to get them to 0, and that's where the machine says it's just the right spot to factory settings, or if you want a certian degree for proper steering return and so on.

If you're trying to get to 0° for caster/camber my thoughts are here, but I can't say it's right, cuz I'm not an alignment expert, and these are as close as these bushings & charts are gonna get you, unless I'm reading things wrong, which is why I like a shop to do this stuff, cuz I'm way out of my lane. I don mind screwing up my own stuff learning, but I don't want to lead someone down the wrong path either.
View attachment 198497
As you've now seen, zero isnt correct. The green only correlates to the measurements that were red to begin with: the ones out of spec.

Tires should toe in just slightly. I do mine by measuring. I set the front of the tires .250 to .375" closer together than the rear of the tires.

I like the camber to be slightly negative, but anywhere from -2° to positive 3° is acceptable.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
As you've now seen, zero isnt correct. The green only correlates to the measurements that were red to begin with: the ones out of spec.

Tires should toe in just slightly. I do mine by measuring. I set the front of the tires .250 to .375" closer together than the rear of the tires.

I like the camber to be slightly negative, but anywhere from -2° to positive 3° is acceptable.
Yes the proper spec numbers were posted in post 15, so I adjusted my numbers in post 16.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What size is the nut on top of the upper ball joint? Biggest tool I have is 1 1/4" socket and it's to small.

·
18,059 Posts
What size is the nut on top of the upper ball joint? Biggest tool I have is 1 1/4" socket and it's to small.
Just measured mine at 1.270 or 32.1 mm but it has some rust so 1.25 or 32mm should fit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts