Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only found posts concerning testing and adjusting nuetral safety switches but nothing like this. My nss was bypassed so i hooked it up and adjusted it but it still won't start in park. I even adjusted it in different positions to see if it would start in park but no luck. it starts in neutral and if i hold the key in the start position and slam the shift lever hard into park it the starter cranks. I wonder if something in the column could cause this or maybe i have a bad nss. Anyone ever have this issue? Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine was actually having the same problem. It would start in neutral and if you slammed it into park the starter would crank just briefly. So I just bypassed it. now it starts anywhere. To be honest even if you start it in gear it doesn't jump forward like everyone seems to think. It simply fires normal and idles.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Had a similar issue with the nss and back up lights. Come to find out the problem was the crummy made in taiwan BW switch. The switch housing would separate, letting water and road grime in. Not long after the housing fails....no start or no backup lights. I went through three of these crummy switches in as many years....they all left me stranded. I started carrying a jumper in my glove box for just such an occasion!

After the third failure, out of necessity and frustration, I adapted a motorcraft switch for a 1988 e350 van to mine. This was two years ago and I have not had a single problem since.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm. i guess that's why it was bypassed. i see advance auto sells the bwd part. anyone have luck with the one from JBG although for $75 bucks i might just start it in neutral. i hate to bypass the switch but it sound like it might just be problematic.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it got so bad i could barely start it in N so i've bypassed it again.
thanks bigweelz for the info on the taiwan parts. if i ever replace it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts