Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Transgo reprogramming kit in . In the directions they had a very specific procedure about adjusting the tension on the band. I cant for the life of me find the paperwork that explains it. Does anybody know what or how this is done>

The directions said something about being able to turn the driveshaft by hand in the forward rotation, but , not in the reverse. However, I dont have any idea if this in N or D or if the truck should be running . No idea and of course their tech support is closed right now.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok , I found it.

Most procedures for tightening up the intermediate band for the C6 goes like this:

Back off the retaining nut from the adjustment bolt. Then torque adjustment bolt to 120 inch pounds or 10 ftlbs. After that is done back the adjustment bolt off 1-1/2 turns. After that is complete hold the adjustment bolt with a wrench so that it doesnt move while tightening the retaining nut to 35 ftlbs.

However, The transgo reprogramming kit (67-#1 and #2) instructions go like this:

Snug adjustment screw with a short wrench. Notice that the output shaft or driveshaft will not turn backwards by hand with the screw tightened. (Wheels off the ground, trans in neutral and engine off).Loosen screw slowly until you can just turn the output shaft or driveshaft backwards by hand. Then loosen 1/4 turn more and tighten locknut.

I dont know what the difference is between the adjustment procedures, but , I have this reprogramming kit in my transmission. So I feel inclined to use this technique instead of the other standard procedure I listed above.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,538 Posts
The factory way gives you a ballpark figure on adjustment, it can have some slop, making engagement only so-so. The Transgo method ensures that any unnecessary slop is gone and gives more positive band engagement with very short piston travel.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Bringing this thing back from the dead. So would replacing the servo and apply lever warrant readjusting the band.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you are bringing it back from the dead be extremely gentle with your adjustments. I had a "shop" replace a transmission modulator valve on an old C6. While replacing the valve they decided to adjust the bands - leaving the place I had no 2nd gear. Turned out they snapped the intermediate band and decided not to tell me. Havign already paid them I then replaced the transmission myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts