Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
damn I just did this tonight and what a differnece. If you have a real loose steering wheel I would recommend adjusting the box. Mine was getting bad and I was all over the road. Its real simple and all you need is a 16mm wrench and a flat head screw driver.

all you got to do is loosen the nut on top of the box then while still holding it with the wrench then turn the center stud. start out small with like half a turn and drive it. see how it does and tighten more if needed. I ended up with about 2 turns on mine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did the same thing this past Monday and it does make a difference. I will try a little more tomorrow 'cause there's still a little play. BTW, turn it to the right to tighten.:beer

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dogonmut said:
That's it. I'm coming over to your house on Saturday.
I have to work:cry your more than welcome to bring it by the shop if you want, we could do that sector shaft seal too.

I noticed it wont take all the play out of the wheel but it does tighten it up quite a bit,

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
I tried this a while back on my truck....With only 1/4 maybe 1/2 a turn, My return to center was only dead...WHy is that? My steering is still quite loose..

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I did that a couple years ago and it made a lot of difference. Very easy to do.

Good tip Dustin.:thumbup

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I need to back mine off a bit more...when making slight adjustments to the wheel it will tend to stay heading that direction. kinda like what a steering stabilizer does when its brnad new

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Dustin thats awesome, when I come down your way guess what favor im gonna ask?:toothless :toothless

Gearrat, the rule is "Righty tighty, lefty loosey"

Sounds gay but that how I remember it.:goodfinge

Doesnt work on propane bottles though:eek:

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I haven't had any problems with mine, I did it 5 years and 60k miles ago.

If it's not overtightened, there is no loss of reliability.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you tighten it to much you will break stuff. "To much" might even occure befor it has problems going back to center. To adjust it correctly you have to disconnect the pitman arm and take the steering wheel off. then you put an inch lbs torque wrench on the center nut of the steering colum and tighten it until you get a specific number of inch lbs turning force.

Sorry dont know the number off the top of my head ;)

Loose steering is likely caused by worn out tierod ends or ball joints.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Haynes manual tells you all you need to know 'bout how to do it correctly. Just seemed like a pain.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i figured I would just do it for the hell of it, its probaly loose cause I need a box anyway. Everything in my front end is new and this just recently got real bad on me. tightening a nut was a hell of cheaper than a new box and its working for now. Ive known people that do this and have never had a problem from tightening that but so far.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
I read a while back the way you are suppose to tighten it is tun the wheels all the way to one side. Tighten the nut til it stops, then back off about 1/2 of a turn and your done. Reason for this was the person said that the gear box is more warn down in the middle more than the outsides.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts