Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It doesn't. Unless it's a hidden bolt that some ghost came in and tightened while I was measuring...

·
Registered
689 Posts
If the bull gear got engaged that will lockup the spindle.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
If the bull gear got engaged that will lockup the spindle.
Nothing was touched. I was machining and all of a sudden as I went to move the carriage left, the machine went caput

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
When I put the feed direction lever in "neutral", the spindle will turn by hand.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,039 Posts
possibly something got loose on your machine? can't imagine why else something would lock up on you, when you're running and not touching anything that might be responsible.
hope you get it fingered out bud. a talented man without a tool is just a damn sad thing. :goodfinge

·
Registered
689 Posts
I hear you but I have learned over the years to start with the dumbest/easiest stuff first when there's a problem. I've often locked my spindle on purpose by doing half the steps for engaging the back gear.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I don't have back gear. It's an enclosed gearhead style.

I just kept moving the levers, rotating the feed rod, and turning the chuck. It finally started to budge, so I put the chuck key in for leverage, and it finally broke loose. It felt normal again in low and high rpm settings (out of 9 speeds). So I put a bit of iso 32 in the headstock and fired it up. Seems normal. Makes me nervous though. Like what caused It? Guess all I can do is try it some more.

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Got another bit done, since the lathe is going again...

All that's left on this one is the interior tubes. Have 4 hours on it so far. Could probably cut half an hour out for procedural changes.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,039 Posts
If you really want to shave that production time... once you've got it "down", scribble down each step. each time you run through... note if you change a step and it costs or saves time, then make it part of the official process. sounds ridicules but you'd be surprised how it can bring what you take for granted and stick it in your face. time saved is money earned.
hope that was just a hiccup and not a sign of a problem starting.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
If you really want to shave that production time... once you've got it "down", scribble down each step. each time you run through... note if you change a step and it costs or saves time, then make it part of the official process. sounds ridicules but you'd be surprised how it can bring what you take for granted and stick it in your face. time saved is money earned.
hope that was just a hiccup and not a sign of a problem starting.
I did just that the other day. I drew out a 2d sketch of each piece in its actual size, labeled everything, and wrote down the process list of each piece. Here's part of it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Just my .o2 since I don't use one of these. How about instead of a barbed fitting using a JIC type hydraulic fitting or a parker style? They aren't very expensive and would make disassembly a breeze instead of trying to pry the hose off of those barbs. In a matter of no time the hose is going to get glued to the threads and end up being cut to remove and then you'll have to replace the hose. Just wondering if that would be a better a better option for not too much more money. I am always trying to figure out how to make things easier for me the next time I have to do something. I do believe you can get these with an NPT thread on the male side.
Swamp

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Just my .o2 since I don't use one of these. How about instead of a barbed fitting using a JIC type hydraulic fitting or a parker style? They aren't very expensive and would make disassembly a breeze instead of trying to pry the hose off of those barbs. In a matter of no time the hose is going to get glued to the threads and end up being cut to remove and then you'll have to replace the hose. Just wondering if that would be a better a better option for not too much more money. I am always trying to figure out how to make things easier for me the next time I have to do something. I do believe you can get these with an NPT thread on the male side.
Swamp
Like I've said, I can do whatever fitting you could want. The problem with JIC (or AN) is that your hose also has to have a fitting on it to mate with the fitting on the can. I can very easily provide both fittings. The reason for the barbs is simplicity, and a universal hookup.

However, I've negated the need for removing the lines to dump the oil out. Both fittings are in the cap, which is hard mounted to the vehicle. The only reason to remove the lineds would be for replacing them or cleaning the cap.

P.S. have y'all not heard of hose removal tools?

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
tell us when you are going to Ebay them.
They will be for sale here, and probably not eBay. At least for a while. Payments will be through PayPal (preferred) or check, but only once the check clears. (I trust no one I've never met, no offense). I won't say more due to not being a member-vendor yet.

Reactions: BikerPepe`

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Couple more hours worth of work. I did waste a about half an hour futzing with some angles.

Inlet tube and diverter done. This one has a 29° cone cut on the bottom. The other little piece is the outlet tube. It has 6- 7/32 holes for air to flow into a central 9/32 hole, and out through the outlet fitting. Should help cut a little more vapor out.

Outlet tube. You can see the central bore is a blind hole.

Loctited in place.

Just have to cut my chucking slug off the bottom of the can and face it true. Then comes the improved mounting bracket.

Reactions: Hillbilly Heaven

·
Registered
689 Posts
Looking good man!

I fired up the old South Bend today and made some brass link rods for a Rc car guy in Norway, shipping was high to say the least....LOL

Attachments

Reactions: BigBlue 94
41 - 60 of 83 Posts