Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I've identified another point of confusion for me. Must have been going on 8 yrs ago now... I installed my Husky 60 gal Air Compressor. I wired it up by identifying my plug receptacle and taking simple advice from the guy at Home Depot. The Husky AC motor is stamped that it's a 240 ONLY unit and the details tag lists it as a 240v, 15A motor. All I did was connect the cord wires as directed and plugged it in to the same outlet on the other side, that's also wired with the 2, 20A joined breaker on the opposite side.

Obviously, the only thing that really 'stuck" in my head over the years was "I got 240v already wired up and ready to go!"

Stopped by ACE this afternoon and spoke with more experienced folks in the yard. Turns out, I'll have 2 local distributors if I go with A-L company tanks, between ACE and the Indy bike shop. That's a bonus. It's not that I expect to run through a bunch of the gas, so much as running out in a pinch and having a local resource for quick exchange of the 75/25 gas. Guy took my number, will get details and prices and call me back. They also verified that they can't exchange Norco bottles... so I've learned that once I choose a branded tank, I'll be stuck with specific distributors... which was news to me.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
@bikerpepe I’ve had my 140 for years with no gas and it’s been fine using flux. My understanding is that for dirty rusty metal flux core is actually better - ie your plow frame.

I’m a relative newbie but this opinion comes from my pah in law who welded pipe in Nitro WV his entire life tigging X-ray level pipe welds so I’d take it to the bank.

You’re going to love having that welder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
102 Posts
This might be the ticket guys. Great reviews and Eastwood is a good outfit

https://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html?SRCCODE=PLA00010&gclid=CjwKCAjwk7rmBRAaEiwAhDGhxKRTm9pULTWhMUY4b2q9PX0KhaghJ9On3OKKJ0PHxarZeKb1fbRm8RoC054QAvD_BwE

I have a Hobart 135 and it was in the price range too but don't think it's available anymore. I have a tombstone ac/DC too

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I have this one with a gas bottle and it plugs away. I miss my lincoln 180 though.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
That 2, 20 amp joined breaker is a 240v 20 amp breaker (2 pole breaker). If it were split into 2) 120v circuits they would be 20 amps each, but for 240 it's only 20 amps at 240. Basically a 240 circuit is 2) 120v circuits from opposite sides of the box combined to make 1) 240v circuit. Either the voltage is doubled in one circuit, or the amps are doubled between 2 circuits, but not both.
I understand exactly 0 of what you just said. Me and electrical do not mix. That might as well be in a foreign language.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
To answer @biggum - That is a sub-panel from the main panel on my property. Unfortunately, I bought a cheap box to replace the main and I only have one shut-off, so it kills the box in the house and the other box in the shop. It's a pain to deal with sometimes but it's rare enough to not be worth the cost to do anything about.

@cutwow - I'm with ya there but unless you have money to pay other people to deal with your sh!t, you gotta finger it out.

BIG THANKS to @El Kabong today. Thanks to your help, I got the new 240v, 50a outlet installed and managed to do it without too much trouble. I haven't tested it yet with real tools but it's all installed, connected and no smoke or sparks flew when I threw the switch. I did use a simple light up household tester to verify it had power though. My Dad started to argue with me about the 110 vs. 220 breaker situation, exactly the same wrong thinking I had before (probably where I got it), until I explained to him that I had a licensed electrician correct me and that lead me to researching more to educate myself a bit. So you're a licensed electrician now... whether you were before or not.

The Hobart arrived last night and I picked up a Arg/CO2 tank this afternoon. Not sure when I'll get around to unboxing and trying it out now that the weekend has hit but I'll grab somepics when I do. Thanks again everyone. I'm lookin forward to my first adventure in heavy metal stitching. ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Heavy metal ROCKS !!! Damn man I’d have had it opened after it hit the fooor for 5 minutes and been welding witching 30 minutes! You got some self control. Can’t wait to see your wolds progress.... practice makes perfect.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts