Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Got the plow all back together and just in time, from the coming weather reports. Found another cracked spot on the quadrant that needed a little re-enforcement, even though I'd inspected the whole setup a few times. Was super nice to be able to just give a quick grind and zap it in place, rather than disassemble the whole thing and take it back to the repair shop and wait.

Today I pulled it out again to do a little repair on Dad's snowblower. The handle that works the drive engagement rod had worn down and the rod had broken. Welded a washer to the inside of the handle, bent the rod, re-assembled and he's back in business.

I'm really digging having this MIG around. At this rate, it will pay for itself in no time. Just knowing I can whip it out to stich some metal in a few minutes is quite a piece of mind living out here in the sticks. Why doesn't everyone have one of these things? ;)

·
35,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Since my last comment in this thread, I've used the Hobart to repair the tailgate skin bridge on the back of my FSB while refurbishing the tailgate internals and doing the relay upgrade. One of 2, nearly rotted to death pieces:

And I used it yesterday to repair the slider-foot mounting bracket that had broken through the face of my plow blade. I don't have a lot of experience to draw from, but so far this Hobart 210 MVP is super easy to use, variable as two different machines (3, if I ever buy the Aluminum Spooler) and an absolute money saver to have around.

I don't think you'll regret it. I know I'm lovin' it.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,988 Posts
Digging on this threa. marking it for ref.
I think I'm leaning to a 110/220v stick welder to start with. Lots of good info on here.Thx!
Unless you're welding pipe and heavy structural steels, skip the arc/stick welder. The wire feed is much more versatile and handy. It's very tough to weld sheet metal with a stick. I thought myself on the MIG wire feed. The biggest tip I can give is to keep the nozzle about a 1/2" from the weld, and make the bead using small "C" motion. Lay the Cs overlapping eachother. You want to push your puddle of molten filler, not pull it.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Digging on this threa. marking it for ref.
I think I'm leaning to a 110/220v stick welder to start with. Lots of good info on here.Thx!
Mig is more versatile than stick for most people, but if you learn on stick you'll have an easier time with other welding methods.
Since my last comment in this thread, I've used the Hobart to repair the tailgate skin bridge on the back of my FSB while refurbishing the tailgate internals and doing the relay upgrade. One of 2, nearly rotted to death pieces:

And I used it yesterday to repair the slider-foot mounting bracket that had broken through the face of my plow blade. I don't have a lot of experience to draw from, but so far this Hobart 210 MVP is super easy to use, variable as two different machines (3, if I ever buy the Aluminum Spooler) and an absolute money saver to have around.

I don't think you'll regret it. I know I'm lovin' it.
Gotta say pepe you're welds look pretty good. IDK if anyone ever told you but I'm gonna do it anyway. If you don't have to grind your welds just leave em. They're stronger that way..... and it's easier;).

I bought a 110 Flux core lincoln back in high school due to cost and I'm still using it. Flux definitely has its drawbacks but the benefit is that I got pretty damn good at welding. I can lay down better beads with flux than alot of guys do with mig. It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.
If I was gonna do it over again I'd go with a 110/220 Mig unit. I've considered upgrading but due to space and the things I'm doing right now it just isn't a priority.

·
35,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Appreciate the tip and I am aware of it. In that case... you have to mount the rubber corner blocks over that metal skin, so welding it smooth and flush was necessary, imo. That said... when I need to grind down for a smooth surface, I make sure to pay closer attention to penetration, as it gets to be crucial at that point.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,395 Posts
When I’m burning kayak trailers I always smooth the corners and outside edges, I have too so guys don’t s ratchet up there gear or catch something on it. So penetration is absolutely a must. A solid deep weld into steel can be ground flat without compromising the weld as long as it’s welded all the way through. The extra on top just acts as a stiffening agent.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks pete, Keep rockin it!
I somehow potentially lucked up and found a welding/fencing business going out of business auction that ends at noon today.
The working welders are out of my price range. but I have bids on air compressor, welding gloves, tool boxes and some scrap lots.

I'm still leaning to the stick welder for now.

I went by to get a few things for the wife yesterday off a guy on FB marketplace. He had a nice blue 03 triumph I was eyeing, but he also had been welding on a trailer with a small/cheap HF wire welder and I wasn't impressed with what I saw and he said it wasn't all that great and he had welded plenty before to know.

My fab list doesn't really include sheet metal - more like gusset anti sway bars, tube doors, sliders, bumpers, maybe some cage stuff later on.

Keep slangin wire and wish me luck on the aution!

·
35,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
wrong thread?
Joe Biden... is that you?

Thanks pete, Keep rockin it!
I somehow potentially lucked up and found a welding/fencing business going out of business auction that ends at noon today.
The working welders are out of my price range. but I have bids on air compressor, welding gloves, tool boxes and some scrap lots.

I'm still leaning to the stick welder for now.

I went by to get a few things for the wife yesterday off a guy on FB marketplace. He had a nice blue 03 triumph I was eyeing, but he also had been welding on a trailer with a small/cheap HF wire welder and I wasn't impressed with what I saw and he said it wasn't all that great and he had welded plenty before to know.

My fab list doesn't really include sheet metal - more like gusset anti sway bars, tube doors, sliders, bumpers, maybe some cage stuff later on.

Keep slangin wire and wish me luck on the aution!
You do realize I was recommending a Hobart 210 MVP, not a Harbor Freight model right? There are a lot of things I'll buy from Harbor Freight but my general rule with them has always been: "the less moving parts the better." After this CCP Cooties mess, I'm done buying anything from China that I can possibly avoid.

Anyway... stick welder should be fine for what you think you'll be working on and much more affordable, for sure.
Good luck!

If I was anywhere near that auction, I'd be angling for one of those steel tables... big time.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,714 Posts
210mvp for the win... I feel its excellent hobbiest/mechanic type machine. Very capable, but still afforadable, Good combo of being able to weld body thin sheet metal and also enough balls to fix a frame or make cool stuff for suspension.
Like BikerPepe' I do not regret getting mine at all either.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Bikepete - ohh yes, I worded that last one wrong. I realize there is a huge difference between the hobart and HF! Its just that for the time being, 300 is about my limit right now. If I had a few more franklins to lyng around I'd be totally considering that setup. There are a few guys around on FB marketplace with some decent used sticks which I'll be looking at soon. Finding the auction has me spending some more $$ on other good shop related/welding deals, but that's cool more time to learn and consider what I want.

I literally had to scrap for some scrap. I had low bids on small scrap metal and they all got outdone, except for one lot I had to pay 40 buck for, but it has a good table/shelf already. If I had access to a real truck or trailer I would have been on one of the steel tables too. I just bought my wife a 3$ fan and comes with wire shelving that I'll use for the garage. there was an old rusty tube bender that went for 70.

Thanks for all the info, I'll post up some good junk if it lands in the driveway...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Follow up of woes and wins...

Scored Tools!!! <-- I got a few tools at the auction, but no welder yet. Took 3 trips in the bronco and the guy running the auction was a ford fan with an old '72 352 motor from a police car or something. sounded nice, he like the old ford and said his car was same blue and grey.

Anyway I scored an air compressor, heavy duty dollies and welding table, scrap iron, truck box, toolbox and couple other small things all for ~$130.
I talked to my pops about getting a welder and he said he had no less than 2 stick welders and 2 wire welders, but my ma ruined the sale, so still on the hunt for a used stick welder.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,136 Posts
sounds like a score. I'd be thrilled to find a decant table for $130.

It's not big, but it is decent, well below $130, and eligible for 20-30% off coupons. I don't have the space for a big, non-collapsible table, so it's pretty much ideal for me.

·
35,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
I have checked out the HF table. Run through YouTube and you can find a few decent vids on stabilizing it a bit more. I'm hoping to come across a 3' x 4' piece of 3/4" steel to make a sturdy table out of, with rolling wheels and a storage shelf underneath. Unfortunately, the local fab shop has been KungFlu closed. Fortunately, I'm not in a big rush.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
I have checked out the HF table. Run through YouTube and you can find a few decent vids on stabilizing it a bit more. I'm hoping to come across a 3' x 4' piece of 3/4" steel to make a sturdy table out of, with rolling wheels and a storage shelf underneath. Unfortunately, the local fab shop has been KungFlu closed. Fortunately, I'm not in a big rush.
Everything I've ever built I built with scraps. I managed to find some old square tube at my parent's house that I'm using to make a new ulitlity winch mount to replace the one that was stolen. Excercise equipment is a great source. Back in HS They threw out a bunch of their old equipment and I have been using steel from it for years.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have checked out the HF table. Run through YouTube and you can find a few decent vids on stabilizing it a bit more. I'm hoping to come across a 3' x 4' piece of 3/4" steel to make a sturdy table out of, with rolling wheels and a storage shelf underneath.
My HF table has no stability issues. Its only limitation is the acreage.

·
35,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Everything I've ever built I built with scraps. I managed to find some old square tube at my parent's house that I'm using to make a new ulitlity winch mount to replace the one that was stolen. Excercise equipment is a great source. Back in HS They threw out a bunch of their old equipment and I have been using steel from it for years.
I had high hopes to salvage metal from my neighbor, who literally has a scrapyard but turns out, since his PTSD kicked in a few years back, he's gone straight hoarder. I'm not to proud to use whatever scrap stalk that can fit the need. Got a few pieces gathered up I've dug into already, remaking mounting brackets for trailer lights.

My HF table has no stability issues. Its only limitation is the acreage.
ok. Looks more like comparing a TV dinner tray to a table but whatever works. I was propping my plows a-frame up on scrap junk to repair it but if I actually want to build something that's another story. I've got a spot for it... so I'm just waiting, keeping my eye on craigslist.
I did purchase the HF welding cart, I showed before and I've shopped there for decades but after this KungFlu bullsh!t, I'm done buying CCP garbage if I can avoid it and that's most of what HF sells.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I'm sure there's something else US-made at HF, but the only one I'm aware of is the metal Jerry cans made by Midwest. I've got two of them and have no complaints, other than the stupid anti-spill spouts that are easily improved by spring removal. Beats me how and why HF carries them. Beyond that, yeah, there's not much enticing there if you don't want to buy Chinese.

161 - 180 of 182 Posts