Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a full frame off you can see in my other thread. I have the drive train on the ground going to start cleaning it up and getting it ready for paint. I want to upgrade my gears and diff while i am in there and replace all the seals and bearings.
I have read a bunch of treads but most of the seem like guys are going to be doing allot more serious offroad then i will so I want some opinions on what to for what I plan on using my truck for.
The truck will be my daily driver. offroading will consist primarily of driving on the shoulder of the road to avoid traffic :). the only real offroad the truck will see is the beach in the summer. If i hit trails or mud it would be a fluke thing.
I plan for now sticking with the ttb, doing a 6 inch lift and running 35s.
So what gear would you do? I am thinking 4:56 but open to opinions.
and what about the locker for front and rear. Rear definitely but it seems like it is up in the air for the front. either way i want to swap out the front for something new just because it has 160k miles on it.\\thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
If its going to be 99% on road like you say then a limited slip in the rear, maybe a torsen like the truetrac should be fine for what you want to do with it.

And if you really wanted something in the front, you could find a used tracklok limited slip out of the back of a jeep on the cheap, put in some new clutches and throw it in the front.

·
Registered
99 Posts
after bowing my 3rd set of 8.8 spider gears (hehe i drive hard and the 500Tqu. dont help)but, i got a eaton E-locker. its a push button locker and got spider gears out of there. its nice cuz if i need it locked its just push of a button and not like the ARB where i have to install air also. and the whole install of locker was $300 cheaper than repairing to stock when i did it. oh i drive 90% on road and IS my daily:)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If its going to be 99% on road like you say then a limited slip in the rear, maybe a torsen like the truetrac should be fine for what you want to do with it.

And if you really wanted something in the front, you could find a used tracklok limited slip out of the back of a jeep on the cheap, put in some new clutches and throw it in the front.
so locker would be an overkill then right? rookie question what kind of dif comes stock?

·
Registered
102 Posts
so locker would be an overkill then right? rookie question what kind of dif comes stock?
Looking at the fact that you live in New York and I am sure will face some pretty good snow usage (if your Bronco will be your snow truck) then a locker may not be overkill at all.

Granted although pricey the best of all worlds will be selectable lockers in both the front and the rear. If not that route probably a good limited slip in both ends will be a good option.

The main disadvantage I have found over the years to a full locker is that in the snow and ice when both wheels are spinning like they will do with a full locker and you are on say a slanted surface the vehicle will have a tendency to slide in the direction of the slant easier. On a non locked diff the non spinning wheel acts sort as an anchor to help hold the vehicle straight against sliding towards the downhill direction but the non locked diff only having the tire pulling that offers the least available traction will be more apt to get stuck and lose forward momemtum due to less driving force of fewer wheels actually pulling at one time.

The limited slip option will be a cross between the two and only allow so much rpm difference between sides before it applies power to the opposite wheel as well until the rpms stabilize between the two wheels. Sort of an on again off again deal controlled by the amount of wheelspin difference of the diff.

This is where the selectable lockers are the king as with a push of a button you can dial up exactly the combination of locked or unlocked that meets the conditions required at any given time but yet never have to live with the situations where a full locker or limited slip may offer a disadvantage.

I have run ARB air lockers both in the front and rear and my experiences have made them to be worthy of the install cost for the benefits they provide. I have never run the electric lockers but understand they work very well also.

Like stated earlier the selectable lockers are the most expensive options but they do give you control over the diff that the non selectables do not and I like and think those options are worth the price of admission.

Question is though do you think that the added cost is worthwhile to you?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome advice. it sounds like limited slip is all I need but a selectable locker would be best. guess i have to weigh the cost between the 2. either way i go I want to purchase the best. I am kind that I only want the best and if I can not afford it I would just wait until I can afford instead of putting in a cheaper unit.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
if you want more beef without doing a SAS or going crazy
Chevy 8-lug outers up front and a 10.25 outback)

other upgrades
d50(f250 ttb) stub shaft upgrade(this combined with above would basically give you a 3/4 ton drive train)
d50 pumpkin(for 4.10 gears, tad easier to find) at the minium, and 4.56 would be a good upgrade

·
Registered
102 Posts
awesome advice. it sounds like limited slip is all I need but a selectable locker would be best. guess i have to weigh the cost between the 2. either way i go I want to purchase the best. I am kind that I only want the best and if I can not afford it I would just wait until I can afford instead of putting in a cheaper unit.

If you want the best then buy the ARB's. The ARB'S new with current pricing will run you about 900.00 or a bit better per diff. Then you have to buy the compressor kit and depending on what you buy will generally set you back another 150-250.00.

I have seen sales at times that if you buy both a front and rear locker at the same time they will include the compressor set up at no charge which is a pretty good deal if you can run across one of those sales.

I can say after owning a vehicle set up with the ARB's both front and rear and seeing how well they work and the driveability advantages of only locking the axles when needed that anything less to me I feel is a big downgrade.

My vehicles see much more street time than offroad time and in reality I think this is one of the selectable lockers strengths as 99% of the time I get the better driveability of having open diffs but yet due to the lockers I give up absolutely no offroad or bad weather capability for that on road smoothness and pleasure.

If you do go the ARB route I do not think you will be dissapointed in any way except the shock of your wallet on initial purchase.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'm running 4.56s with 35's and it's perfect. You even have overdrive where I don't so you'll be better off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts