Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 87 bronco was my first vehicle and After putting her up after highschool it has been setting for 10 years. I pulled it out from the cover and decided im going to restore it with my dad. Its has 302 EFI with over 300k on the engine with a c6 transmission I want to upgrade a little bit but i'm trying to find information on what would be better and most cost effective. Pulling it and have it ran through and put a bigger cam in it bored? Or buy a crate engine? The only issue is that i live in california which the smog laws are outrageous. Any advice would be extremely helpful.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
A lot depends on how much you want to spend. A crate motor is great, but if you can do a lot of the work you can freshen the 302 up for not too bad.

What is the long term goal?
More power?
Stock and nice?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
975 Posts
My 86 Bronco got a 5.0 Liter crate long block from Orieleys for $1200, with a 1 year warranty. I replaced every EFI sensor on the motor & went thru & replaced all the broken vacuum lines with new ones, fixed some crusty old wiring & the truck runs great now. To me, if you are just wanting another stock 5.0 Liter it makes no sense to go thru all the work of rebuilding when you can simply order a long block and bolt it in. I've been enjoying driving it ever since.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You have to set a goal for the build first. Then figure out how to accomplish the goal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,730 Posts
My 86 Bronco got a 5.0 Liter crate long block from Orieleys for $1200, with a 1 year warranty. I replaced every EFI sensor on the motor & went thru & replaced all the broken vacuum lines with new ones, fixed some crusty old wiring & the truck runs great now. To me, if you are just wanting another stock 5.0 Liter it makes no sense to go thru all the work of rebuilding when you can simply order a long block and bolt it in. I've been enjoying driving it ever since.
Agree with this, it is also not saving a bunch more money by the time you pay machine shop and everything else. I have no opinion on the Orielly motors, on these pushrod motors they are likely just fine. Yours seems to run good...

There have been several on here and posted elsewhere that are very happy with Creb Engineering. They will build to your spec, if you wanted something a bit more then stock. Last time I looked I think the differance in price was $200 or so between if I did the work, and got everything machined, or getting from Creb. That differance is likely less going the above route. This is assuming near stock rebuild.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot depends on how much you want to spend. A crate motor is great, but if you can do a lot of the work you can freshen the 302 up for not too bad.

What is the long term goal?
More power?
Stock and nice?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
My long term goal is to give it more power. My bronco has always been gutless and its always been a dream of mine to put more horses under the hood. I have been looking at blueprint engines and looks like I could spend anywhere from 4,000$ - 7,000$ for a crate engine with 270-370hp depending on what I would buy. Which I am fine spending that much. I guess my question is for the California guys how much trouble am I going to run into with dropping a crate engine in when it comes to smog.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
975 Posts
Blueprint engines are excellent engines, however with California's noose on your freedom, you may need to do what most sane people do, and move to a state that allows you to enjoy your classic car without regulation if you want an engine like that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I
Blueprint engines are excellent engines, however with California's noose on your freedom, you may need to do what most sane people do, and move to a state that allows you to enjoy your classic car without regulation if you want an engine like that.
LOL! I'm probably two years away from moving out of commufornia. Just trying to get this bronco done while I'm making california money.

·
Super Moderator
29,039 Posts
Yo T,
WELCOME!
I moved this thread to Noobie section for more visibility, etc.

Consider Ford Motorcraft Crate Engines @
Crate Engines, Competition Mustang Engines, Competition Drag Racing Engines, Competition Stock Car Engines, Competition Funny Car Engins, Competition Racing Engines - Ford Performance Parts

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

For any questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our site's FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search
See more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc

Please try to take time to Participate and Vote in our next Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, FullSize of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.

Al

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yo T,
WELCOME!
I moved this thread to Noobie section for more visibility, etc.

Consider Ford Motorcraft Crate Engines @
Crate Engines, Competition Mustang Engines, Competition Drag Racing Engines, Competition Stock Car Engines, Competition Funny Car Engins, Competition Racing Engines - Ford Performance Parts

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

For any questions or to chat about it's planned modifications, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our site's FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts & How to Use Search
See more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc

Please try to take time to Participate and Vote in our next Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, FullSize of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.

Al
Thank you Al!

·
Registered
975 Posts
LOL! I'm probably two years away from moving out of commufornia. Just trying to get this bronco done while I'm making california money.
Yeah I know that routine.... I was recruited out of GM in 2005 to work for Tesla, they wanted the best Engineering talent they could get & made me an offer I could not refuse... I worked for them until 2012, then took all my stock options, and came back to Michigan... California is a beautiful place, but the State government has ruined it to the point I could not stand being there. I see Elon has wised up too & is moving Tesla to Texas. Smartest man I've ever had the pleasure of working with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yeah I know that routine.... I was recruited out of GM in 2005 to work for Tesla, they wanted the best Engineering talent they could get & made me an offer I could not refuse... I worked for them until 2012, then took all my stock options, and came back to Michigan... California is a beautiful place, but the State government has ruined it to the point I could not stand being there. I see Elon has wised up too & is moving Tesla to Texas. Smartest man I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
You have to set a goal for the build first. Then figure out how to accomplish the goal.

. Thats what I'm trying to accomplish. My goal is to get more power in this bronco. My question is more for california guys who have faced this dilemma. Have the original 302 ran through and beefed up or just buy a crate engine. If buying a crate engine am I going to run into any issues with california laws? One the engine is situated and pulled im doing SAS.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My family bought p

. Thats what I'm trying to accomplish. My goal is to get more power in this bronco. My question is more for california guys who have faced this dilemma. Have the original 302 ran through and beefed up or just buy a crate engine. If buying a crate engine am I going to run into any issues with california laws? One the engine is situated and pulled im doing SAS.
you could swap in a 460, as long as you run the computer and smog equipment, you can get away with alot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
975 Posts
I don't see any down side at all as far as emissions issues with a stock replacement crate motor. Unbolt everything, including all of the emissions equipment, swap motors, and bolt it all back on. Its just a lot less work than a rebuild in my opinion. Its also a great time to clean up the engine bay of dirt & grime, & replace vacuum lines, vacuum solenoids, ect...

As long as all the emissions equipment is back in place, it would be as good as new & have no emissions problems.

My crate motor was freshly installed when I bought the truck, it was a big selling point to me. The guy couldn't get it running right, so he gave up. I bought it, fixed a bunch of broken vacuum lines & replaced every EFI sensor for under $200 & it imeddiately ran great right then.

Im betting the motor on my Bronco was fine, he just didn't know any better, but whatever, his loss, my gain. I had been looking for a Bullnose with EFI for a long time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't see any down side at all as far as emissions issues with a stock replacement crate motor. Unbolt everything, including all of the emissions equipment, swap motors, and bolt it all back on. Its just a lot less work than a rebuild in my opinion. Its also a great time to clean up the engine bay of dirt & grime, & replace vacuum lines, vacuum solenoids, ect...

As long as all the emissions equipment is back in place, it would be as good as new & have no emissions problems.

My crate motor was freshly installed when I bought the truck, it was a big selling point to me. The guy couldn't get it running right, so he gave up. I bought it, fixed a bunch of broken vacuum lines & replaced every EFI sensor for under $200 & it imeddiately ran great right then.

Im betting the motor on my Bronco was fine, he just didn't know any better, but whatever, his loss, my gain. I had been looking for a Bullnose with EFI for a long time.
Thank you for your advice! I'll be looking up all the EFI sensors on the forum. Like I said its been 10 years since I've worked on it and I am going to be doing a huge refreshing on components of this engine. Other than replacing alternator , water pump, radiator, and other misc items its all stock.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Also a code reader was a life saver for me, after I had replaced all my sensors, I bought a code reader, then found out I had some codes even tho I would have never known cuz it ran fine. Does this Bronco run?? You could just do a bit of a revival on your current motor. The code reader would let you know what things are not functioning correctly if you perform a KOEO & KOER test.

It pointed me to bad O2 sensor wiring & EGR solenoids I would have never known were bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also a code reader was a life saver for me, after I had replaced all my sensors, I bought a code reader, then found out I had some codes even tho I would have never known cuz it ran fine. Does this Bronco run?? You could just do a bit of a revival on your current motor. The code reader would let you know what things are not functioning correctly if you perform a KOEO & KOER test.

It pointed me to bad O2 sensor wiring & EGR solenoids I would have never known were bad.

View attachment 172326
I am buying one right now!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I am buying one right now!
My big concern after 10 years of sitting would bad old fuel, rusty fuel tank, rodents eating wiring, oiling down rusty cylinder walls, there's a whole list of things to do before you just turn a key on a vehicle thats been sitting for a decade.

What point of "bringing it back" are you at?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts