Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats the general jist I got... am I wrong? Me and my buddies decided to cut my muffler on New Years Eve (hoping it wasn't a horrible idea). I was a clean cut, so if all else fails, I can just weld it back on... I still have my cat.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Jt8786 said:
Thats the general jist I got... am I wrong? Me and my buddies decided to cut my muffler on New Years Eve (hoping it wasn't a horrible idea). I was a clean cut, so if all else fails, I can just weld it back on... I still have my cat.
You should have two cats on your 86, is that so ?

Are you gonna run some pipe to connect to your tailpipe ? That might not perturb the vehicle inspectors if you have emissions checks in Nevada

Sixlitre

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
you will be fine, unless you have emisson checks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys... And I have just got checked in late November.

I'm not sure if I have two cats. I just bought this truck on Halloween... and havn't really done much to it besides brakes and rotors...

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Jt8786 said:
Thanks you guys... And I have just got checked in late November.

I'm not sure if I have two cats. I just bought this truck on Halloween... and havn't really done much to it besides brakes and rotors...
It's awful cheap to get a mandrel bent Dynomax tailpipe and a hollow bullet muffler and comply to visual inspection.

Check your laws though. CARB in California let CHIPS cars run just cats and no mufflers back in the late 70s because they couldn't catch high speed offenders.

Sixlitre

·
Try it now!!
9,119 Posts
My muffler fell off in the middle of a mud puddle.

My 89 has 2 cats, and the lack of muffler just deepened the noise without being loud at all. I didnt bother putting it on. I did have probelms with emissions visual inspection. I had to throw on a cheap muffler to make it look like it wouldnt fall off if I turned sharp.

Some time later as my fuel pump wore out, the exhaust blowing on the tank would heat up the fuel enough to where the fuel pump pressurizing it and adding its own heat (the fuel is used to cool the pump) pushed it into the vaporization stage and the truck would stumble, buck, and finally stall. This mostly happend in hot weather and long trips, and as it got worse the temperature required and trip length required to make it stall would drop.

Just something to think about that a 50 dollar piece of pipe at a muffler shop could have prevented.

·
College User
2,023 Posts
Some time later as my fuel pump wore out, the exhaust blowing on the tank would heat up the fuel enough to where the fuel pump pressurizing it and adding its own heat (the fuel is used to cool the pump) pushed it into the vaporization stage and the truck would stumble, buck, and finally stall. This mostly happend in hot weather and long trips, and as it got worse the temperature required and trip length required to make it stall would drop.

Just something to think about that a 50 dollar piece of pipe at a muffler shop could have prevented.

I have been there, dont have the exhaust just dumb out under there is all I can recommend.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
My exhaust dumps just behind the muffler infront of the axle and I havent had any problems. I'd recommend a turn down

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Turn down forsure. I have also heard that the build up of exhaust wastes on the under side of the body will promote rust, but I have no evidence to back this up so I may be full of :bs

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine fell off so I ran some exhaust pipe out in front of the rear passenger wheel. Gotta point my turndown in a different direction though, just noticed a few days ago its kinda cooking my tire. Noise ain't bad at all, and I have no inspections or emissions here.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Should have some cats around here somewhere, but I don't.

My brother works on cars, so I should be able to have him pass it if I need to. Shouldn't be a problem here in MO. I could just take it to the guy that passed a friend's bus without it being present or driveable. A shop did this, and I didn't know that he was gonna cut them off. I heard him say something about the sensor, but didn't know he was gonna cut the cats off. I told him to do what he did on my friend's Blazer. I didn't know he had cut them off of the Blazer. Either it won't matter here, in a few years it won't matter if I have them or not due to age of vehicle, or maybe it's that if you drive a truck past a certain year that you don't need them.

·
Registered
656 Posts
i hacked off my cat and put on a cheapo autozone muffler, and it just dumps straight out, ive had no issues with fuel, etc and i drive it everyday, its been like this for over a year. however, i DO need a tailpipe, i cant open the back window without being fumagated

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
I have one high flow cat and no muffler. In Ga. the only visual inspection is to confirm you have a cat. The muffler is not an emmisions control device so they dont care.
My Bronco passed it's last emissions test with better readings than my moms Honda.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My muffler fell off too.....with a hammer:toothless It sounded really good, but i have to have a muffler for cali emmisions so my parents got me a flowmaster 40 series:rockon

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Mine runs into a cat, then from the cat to a "Y" pipe and then duals out the back. Ohio says i have to have a CAT, they never said anything about mufflers.

The only bad thing is with the exhaust dumping out the back, it all flows back through my rear window.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have mine come out the sides, behind the tires. If you do that, make sure you don't have plastic mudflaps...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts