Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
After hitting the trails this weekend my steering is messed up. The power steering kinda works when i turn the wheel to the right, moan like crazy, but kinda works, some time a little assist, sometimes nothing. When i turn to the left, i get no power steering, it is super hard to turn. When i got off the trails i opened the resivour and saw it was all bubbled up. I dove her home from the trail....about an hour and a half. Drives fine, doesn't pull to any side, but any left turns are horrible. I was planning on draining the system and getting a rebuilt pump. Do you guys think this will solve my problem or is there something else i need to focus on. I opened it up this morning and saw the fluid level was really low. I pulled her into the driveway and noticed a nice trail of steering fluid dripping out. I'm a little freaked that it's only really hard to turn her one way.
Thanks again eveyone,:thumbup i'm dying to get back on the trails!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I had the same problem last week. Check your steering box from the top, (next to the pump there is a rubber flap that covers the steering box from the side panel) on the steering box there is a nut that has a screw in it-flat head screwdriver adjustment...mine had worked it's way loose and was leaking fluid all over...this nut and screw adjusts the pinion...tightened mine up while the tires were front facing and been good ever since...probably not your problem though??

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
my guess is you boiled your fluid, it overflowed, then when it cooled you were low on fluid, then driving it home low you cooked the pump.

install at least a 4"x10 inch tranny cooler on the return line in front of your raditor. your steering will thank you.

·
Registered
585 Posts
1978BEAST said:
Great i'll try changing out the pump. I saw auto zone has a regular one for $66 and a "heavy duty" one for $87. Is it worth getting the heavy duty?

Thanks
If Auto Zone is like NAPA, that "heavy duty" option would be the Saginaw pump. For the extra $21, the Sag pump is worlds better than the Ford pump.

BTW, I just checked the NAPA website, the standard pump is $57, the Sag pump is $109. Maybe the Auto Zone pump is not the Sag???

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
jopes said:
my guess is you boiled your fluid, it overflowed, then when it cooled you were low on fluid, then driving it home low you cooked the pump.

install at least a 4"x10 inch tranny cooler on the return line in front of your raditor. your steering will thank you.
4X10 seems a little excessive to me. I've used the small factory stacked plate cooler and std PS fluid. Even with 42's @ 4-5 PSI and hydro steer, never had an issue yet with even slight overheating or aeration...........

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, i'm going to swap the pump tomorrow and the lines. They are calling for a winter snow storm advisory for this weekend...soo glad my truck is out of commission.
I'll let you all know how it goes.
The area near the where the hose connects to the pump is wet and i can see part of the fan shroud also is wet.

Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Success!! :rockon

I swapped out the pump and replaced the high pressure line and the return line. She works perfect!! :chili:
Advise to anyone else doing this job. A power steering pulley puller (say that 5 times fast) is basically required to get the pulley off. I rented one from autozone.
Thanks again for all the great advise! :beer

·
Registered
585 Posts
1978BEAST said:
Success!! :rockon

I swapped out the pump and replaced the high pressure line and the return line. She works perfect!! :chili:
Advise to anyone else doing this job. A power steering pulley puller (say that 5 times fast) is basically required to get the pulley off. I rented one from autozone.
Thanks again for all the great advise! :beer
Yup, the puller combined with an impact wrench works great. I've also found that the puller that is also an installer is really slick.

Glad you got it sorted out :drinkbud

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had problems with my steerin a couple of days ago. Also had the bubble symptom. Did an inspection on all lines one was moderatly cracked and worn. Bought a dollar worth of hose. One foot piece. Replaced the hose. Added fluid. Ran it up and burped the biatch. Bubbles gone. Steering ops ck good. Even though you may think that your pump was shot, you still could have started down a cheaper avenue. I work for the military and make a humble living. I tend to exhaust all minor/obvious things before buying an expensive part. Right now my manual is my bible. James

1 - 18 of 18 Posts