Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with Summer winding down I have plans to find and get installed an AC system. Mine originally had AC but nothing is left of it. So what have ya'll used to get AC going again. I'd prefer an all in one kit. I've looked on the web and don't find a whole lot for 2nd gens. I have an inquiry with one company but have not heard back from them. TIA!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’ve been researching this a lot. OriginalAir makes a complete replacement system using modern tech plus it allows you to keep the factory controls.
Old air products makes a replacement set up the completely deletes the box under the hood and puts everything under the dash much the same way Vintage Air does. Only thing with the latter two is it requires using cable controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/1978-ford-pickup-truck-air-conditioning-system/

This one looks pretty nifty. Won’t have a lot of feedback but seems to be quality.

https://nostalgicac.com/complete-ac-kits/ford-complete-kits/ford-ac-kits-for-trucks/73-79-ford-truck/1973-1979-f-series-truck-heat-a-c-defrost.html

I’ve also heard good things on Nostalgic.

https://www.originalair.com/76-79-ford-f-series-bronco-hipo-ac-rotary-compressor-upgrade-kit

OriginalAir is definitely the cheapest though and the least work. You do have to keep the ginormous air box however.

I personally am going with a universal kit from Vintage Air. A lot more legwork but I was able to pick it up for $200...

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
i plan on installing it in my project truck,not sure whose it was but I am thinking the one that fits on top of the stock non a/c heater box

just read the specs as I think some of the systems do away with the fresh air intake on their systems ,and that is something I do not want to get rid of

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I just purchased the nostalgic air perfect fit kit for my 79 bronco. Looks complete however, I am little concerned about how small the replacement unit is. One third the size of my heater only box. I plan on posting my photos and thoughts if I am successful .

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just purchased the nostalgic air perfect fit kit for my 79 bronco. Looks complete however, I am little concerned about how small the replacement unit is. One third the size of my heater only box. I plan on posting my photos and thoughts if I am successful .
Sounds good. Let me know. I may go with a Vintage Air system. I found a Hot Rod shop here in town where I work that is a dealer for Vintage Air. I'm going to look into it soon. Had our first cold front come in today. Feels much better outside now.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have a vintage air in my 79 bronco. It is the gen iv. It works good but the heater fogs up the windows if there is more than two people riding in it. If it is just me and the wife it works fine. It gets rid of everything under the hood and dash. I used there electric controls and made a plate fit where the original cable controls where. I have pictures some where on this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a vintage air in my 79 bronco. It is the gen iv. It works good but the heater fogs up the windows if there is more than two people riding in it. If it is just me and the wife it works fine. It gets rid of everything under the hood and dash. I used there electric controls and made a plate fit where the original cable controls where. I have pictures some where on this forum.
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just put in the unit from Nostalgic Air. It works great, they give you everything you need in the kit and were very helpful with questions. It was a fairly simple installation. The only thing that slowed me down was finding someone to crimp the hoses.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I did Vintage Air, they converted the controls from mechanical to electronic. That is one small unit. My buddy made some billet alum brackets for the lines and for the accumaltor. He also made a plate to cover the hole from the old AC on the firewall.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I chose Vintage Air, their are some pics on my build forum post. The guys are in San Antonio I believe and were super helpful in putting a whole kit together

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I just started the install of the original air system. It is an exact replacement of the factory system with modern parts. It all bolts back in the factory locations and includes adapter bracket to use the rotary compressor on the old cast York mount. Should cool much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts