Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am now running a 331 stroker with e303 cam 1.6 rockers, 10;1 compression longtube headers, recently new victor jr heads , edelbrock upper and lower intake with bbk throttle body, 32lb injectors, full accel thruster dfi efi system with acceel duel sync distrubutor and msd ignition box. my problem with my efi system is that ever since that last big hurrican we got my truck been acting up i replaced the distributor, ignition box, multiple other parts and havent been able to get it running right since that dam hhurricane, the day before the hurricane i had the truck tuned and re dynoed and it was running perfect better then i could imagine and it dam near ripped the driver front tire off the ground even with the 35s. i replaced pretty much everything except the computer which i think got damaged in the storm due to lightning or something like that, i have been rippping my hair out since september trying to fix this thing, im sick of the efi and want to go carb i was thinking a victor series intake to flow match my heads with a 750 carter avs carb and a msd vacume advance distributor with a fuel pressure regulator to get me down to the 5-8psi foir the carb, what do you guys think?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,880 Posts
why not try another ecu? are you getting any codes?

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
try the carb man with a Victor jr intake, i just finished a 347 about to drop it in the truck. My specs 347 Eagle bottom end compression 10.5 to 1 end Air flow Research 185 outlaws Extreme Energy 282 HR cam victor Jr intake and 670 Holley truck avenger. I have not cranked the engine yet after break in i will let you know if this carb size is the right size your engine is pretty similar to mine it seems. I am a Mechanic and i went carb for the same reasons your thinking about it now i see junk EFI systems all day! good luck PM me if you need any other details!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea rga58 let me know how it is I'm a mechanic also and it just sucks cuz I did everything 100 percent as perfect and legit as I could and the efi worked great for 3 years now it just doesn't seem to like those huge ports on the victor jr heads and I was told by a few very good friends/ mechanics/ my education lol that a 750 rejettted would be unstopable but let me know how the 670 worrks out,

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I don't just buy a new computer is cuz its 1400$! I can't really afford it right now considering I'm only a local 3 apprentice and I'm making shit for money, it would cost me less money and aggravation to go carb.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
I think some of you guys are missing this part.
full accel thruster dfi efi system
He is not running an EEC EFI system.

Have you tried having it re tuned since the problems began?
The tuning software may find/fix the fault.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea we ****ed with the tune and it didn't help

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
I feel your pain so i didn't go that route ill let you know about the 670, i was just think the 770 which is the next size up truck avenger might be to big, making street-ability low. Most all crate motors you can buy from summit or where ever use a 600 or 650 and there making 400-465 hp, My target is 475-485 so i am going to try the 670 first.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
You asked, Bitch here, ya me.

First mistake was spending a bunch of money on EFI when Ford EFI would run it great!

Now you want to fix it by going backwards to a carb? :histerica

:doh0715:

Read-up here and fix it with stock Ford EFI, a tune and get rid of that shit.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran the stock efi for almost a year and I could never get it to idle right and it always had shitty hesitation I wasn't ****ing with the old stock bullshit

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
You could make that engine run great with a Mustang computer, harness and a tune. There are many wilder combo's on this site running stock EFI with a Tune. A professional tune on a chip or a tuner like the Tweecer or Moates Quarter Horse would make it run great.

The stock mass air EFI is not bullshit and relatively inexpensive if you get used stuff. I just completed a mass air conversion, basic tune, and roller engine swap with blower. Damn thing started right up and idled.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i agree with swat, i have had a couple high hp mustangs, the stock ford efi when tweeked is awesome..i think you would be disapointed with the throttle response and just general driveability when you go back to the carb stuff...plus honestly you probably wouldnt be to away from the price of the computer once u purchase all the carb stuff then the aggrivation of swaping it all over....

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
I ran the stock efi for almost a year and I could never get it to idle right and it always had shitty hesitation I wasn't ****ing with the old stock bullshit
yup. The stock stuff just bottle necks like mad, Cant flow enough air period. Even cobra (gt40) upper and lowers run out fast. So that leaves you with 2 options expensive aftermarket higher flowing EFI OR good old Victor jr. and carb. I went carb. why? its easy and you can flow air and fuel all day long. However a major draw back to carb is of course if you do serious off camber wheeling you will hate it.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
yup. The stock stuff just bottle necks like mad, Cant flow enough air period. Even cobra (gt40) upper and lowers run out fast. So that leaves you with 2 options expensive aftermarket higher flowing EFI OR good old Victor jr. and carb. I went carb. why? its easy and you can flow air and fuel all day long. However a major draw back to carb is of course if you do serious off camber wheeling you will hate it.
you have no idea what you're talking about. did you even read ANY of the engine/efi build threads on this site? or hell the post two above yours from swat?? he's running a fawking supercharger, sounds like a real bottleneck doesn't it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
First off... I'm not sure you know what size can of worms you opened up here. I hope you are thick skinned.

I changed from efi to carb about a year ago. It was the best thing that I have done to my Bronco. Well... that and making the center counsel into a cooler. Be prepaired for a lot of members to give you the "your going back in time... if carbs are so good why arnt we still using them" arguments. How about who cares! If thats what he wants to do let the man do it.

Back to the build. I ordered an e-brock presure regulator and I couldnt get the psi down to where it needed to be. So I took out the high presure pump by the frame rail and put in an electric fuel pump that puts out ~5psi. Been workin fan-tastic!

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
:twak Can you read? Try reading his first post again. No bottlenecks! He has a good intake, heads, etc etc.

"Higher flowing EFI" For the power he is making, all he would need is to upgrade his fuel pump. I don't think he has done that.

If he want to go carb, fine it's his rig. :barf

No way it will run better than with Fords EFI, period!

He could sell the expensive aftermarket EFI to fund the swap to a manual Mustang computer (A3M1), matching harness, tune and get great results.

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
you have no idea what you're talking about. did you even read ANY of the engine/efi build threads on this site? or hell the post two above yours from swat?? he's running a fawking supercharger, sounds like a real bottleneck doesn't it?
this just shows your a real retard. :doh0715: the guy that started the thread is not running a supercharger? a supercharger ups air pressure, thus forcing air into tight spaces effectively, I can take a junk box stock 302 and boost the hell out of it add more fuel and gain major HP everyone knows that. This guy is N/A just like me and feeding a N/A motor is harder since there is no supercharger forcing air down the junk box stock air passages. so that means you have to make it easier for the air to move through since the air is only being moved by the vacuum of fuel burn in the engine. I don't see you giving an example of a high horse engine with your KIA? you don't even own a bronco or a juiced engine. I was only trying to give the man some pointers telling him what i did and what i know works and everyone gets there panties in a wad

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
this just shows your a real retard. :doh0715: a supercharger ups air pressure, thus forcing air into tight spaces effectively, I can take a junk box stock 302 and boost the hell out of it add more fuel and gain major HP everyone knows that. This guy is N/A just like me and feeding a N/A motor is harder since there is no supercharger forcing air down the junk box stock air passages. so that means you have to make it easier for the air to move through since the air is only being moved by the vacuum of fuel burn in the engine. I don't see you giving an example of a high horse engine with your KIA? you don't even own a bronco or a juiced engine. I was only trying to give the man some pointers telling him what i did and what i know works and everyone gets there panties in a wad.
I don't own a bronco either and I think swapping from a EFI to a carb is totaly stupid. but everyone does things differently.

oh and don't bash his KIA, it's a 10 second on the 1/4 mile.

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
I don't own a bronco either and I think swapping from a EFI to a carb is totaly stupid. but everyone does things differently.

oh and don't bash his KIA, it's a 10 second on the 1/4 mile.
And that's your Opinion and its is fine. Then He comes on here like that. Why? i have no idea. if people don't agree then fine but why handle it that way? The guy is only asking for help. Just tired of all the needless flaming for no reason a lot of people have stopped using the site because of it. Sounds screaming fast :doh0715: lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts